Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Mary Robinson

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Mary Robinson

We are in the middle of possibly the worst crisis the state has ever faced. Mary Robinson was our greatest ever president and possibly the greatest states person we ever produced. She is still in her sixties, (as far as I know) in good health. Given her history with the labour party could she be persuaded to help out her own nation in their hour of need? Could Mary Robinson return to domestic politics in the upcoming general election? She would be an obvious and no doubt extremely popular choice as minister for foreign affairs in a Labour government.

She may be the most talented politician in the country, remains extraordinarily popular and is proven on the international stage.

Is this even remotely possible?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, but Labour should try to convince her to run for her second term as president (in fairness I think Eamon De Valera might have a better claim to being the country's greatest statesperson; international Recognition, dismantling the treaty and maintaining neutrality to name a few).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stupid bloody woman. I would think that being President of your country was the acme of ambition for anyone, but not for her. She resigned the post before her term expired to take up a job with the UN which was a joke anyway. Any credibility she had disappeared with that decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Contemptible wagon!
    Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are, and those few dare not oppose themselves to the opinion of the many, who have the majesty of the state to defend them.

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aristodemus View Post
    Stupid bloody woman. I would think that being President of your country was the acme of ambition for anyone, but not for her. She resigned the post before her term expired to take up a job with the UN which was a joke anyway. Any credibility she had disappeared with that decision.

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    We are in the middle of possibly the worst crisis the state has ever faced. Mary Robinson was our greatest ever president and possibly the greatest states person we ever produced. She is still in her sixties, (as far as I know) in good health. Given her history with the labour party could she be persuaded to help out her own nation in their hour of need? Could Mary Robinson return to domestic politics in the upcoming general election? She would be an obvious and no doubt extremely popular choice as minister for foreign affairs in a Labour government.

She may be the most talented politician in the country, remains extraordinarily popular and is proven on the international stage.

Is this even remotely possible?
    But sure all the above could be said about the current occupant? and both could not manage to get elected to the Dail? Maybe that president gig is an easy one?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Very unlikely. She didn't run for TD in 20 years as a senator, why on earth would she want to do it now? In addition, her "history" with the Labour party is pretty peripheral. She was an independent Senator for the vast majority of her career, and identified herself as an independent candidate for the presidency albeit with Labour and SP's support.

Whether you like her or not, she's an incredibly intelligent woman, but I don't think anyone would describe her as suffering fools gladly. She's paved a road in her life which specifically avoided getting involved with the many many many morons who inhabit party politics in the country, there's really no benefit to anyone for her to get involved as this point.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

She was an accidental president who, rather than serving the full term of office to which she was elected, fecked off to the UN. That doesn't make her the "best" president that Ireland had. That makes her a candidate for the leadership of Fianna Fail.

Regards...jmcc

Dublin, but lived in Tipp, Limerick, Kildare, NI, UK & USA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Very unlikely. She didn't run for TD in 20 years as a senator, why on earth would she want to do it now? In addition, her "history" with the Labour party is pretty peripheral. She was an independent Senator for the vast majority of her career, and identified herself as an independent candidate for the presidency albeit with Labour and SP's support.
    She ran twice in 77 and 81 failed miserably!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackryan View Post
    She ran twice in 77 and 81 failed miserably!
    You're right, I meant afterwards but was too stupid to word the sentence correctly. I would point out that those defeats were primarily due to her support of issues which are now viewed as accepted norms (birth control etc)
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Page 1 of 106 123451151101 ... LastLast