Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106
Results 1,051 to 1,058 of 1058

Thread: Mary Robinson

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cailleach View Post
    Robinson as we know, resigned from the presidency of this country in September 1997 so that, in my opinion (to which I'm entitled!) she could move on to 'bigger and better' things on the global stage.

The Shell/Corrib gas saga, while ongoing from 2000, came to national prominence in 2005. Robinson comes from Ballina which is 35 miles away from the Barony of Erris where, from 2006 onwards this vassal state, when Shell clicked their fingers, let loose on those of us from Erris and those who came to support with all metaphoric guns blazing.

It is still probably difficult for a lot of those who weren't there to believe the ferocity of the state's attempts to squash resistance to the protection of our environment and the giveaway of our natural resources; I neither wish nor want to re-argue the whole Shell/Corrib thing, am content to leave it to posterity to judge.

It is indisputable that resistance to Shell/Corrib in the the period 2005-2015 was fraught and, with 20/20 hindsight has provided people with a lot to ponder.

The reason for potted history above is that during those 10 years Robinson said and/or did absolutely NOTHING to even inform herself on what was happening literally in her own back yard, not to mind say or do anything about it - 'smalladh uirthi. She was contacted by many concerned people myself included and, rather like stately Buck Mulligan, glided on in her most patrician manner.

Robinson has tried to hide behind the fact that she was president to preclude her from speaking about what happened in her own back yard

‚€˜Desmond Tutu loves Mary Robinson‚€™ | Shell to Sea

Contrast that with her successor who appears to suffer from no such restraints in speaking out about the church and on the subject of gay rights.

Hypocrisy thy name is Robinson???
    Did the project have planning permission by any chance?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

She's quite the festival goer
    Climate Justice: Hope, Resilience, and the Fight for a Sustainable Future | Oxford Literary Festival

Climate Justice: Hope, Resilience, and the Fight for a Sustainable Future
    Mary Robinson Interviewed by Nick Higham

Sunday, 31 March 2019
    6:00pm
    1 hour
    Sheldonian Theatre
    £8 - £20

Former President of Ireland and United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Mary Robinson makes a powerful case for justice on climate change and finds that many grassroots campaigners for climate justice are mothers and grandmothers like herself.
    Oh, and this time we're all backing her
    Event supported by

Supporters of the Irish programme
    However, banks know they have a duty of care to their clients and I'm sure that this should prevent them lending irresponsibly.

George Lee 2 June 2006

Ziggy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Schuhart View Post
    She's quite the festival goerOh, and this time we're all backing her
    Soft power. Cultural cachet. She's worth every penny. <eats quorn burger, sips almond milk>

The Phoenix magazine has an informative piece on the Latifa affair. It's like a refreshing cool breeze to see at least one voice in that is not beholden to the conventional media. It seems that Daddy al Makhtoum is quite sensitive and after some scrap over in England moved his entire stables over here (and jobs). So Leo is quite well-advised not to be upsetting him. Another interesting point is that it seems that al Makhtoum was very helpful in financing the Clonskeagh mosque. Apparently the mosque on the north side is anti muslim brotherhood and the one on the south side is pro. Seems the whole Sunni world is split on this matter (and on many others). While I might find this interesting I hope I don't find out in some years time that it's real interesting... like if the two factions start fighting.
    Someone should make a movie about this place.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Voice View Post
    Soft power. Cultural cachet. She's worth every penny. <eats quorn burger, sips almond milk>
    Quorn burgers are grand with a bit of mustard, mayo and ketchup, almond ''milk'' on the other hand, is the spew of the Devil.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yosef shompeter View Post
    The Phoenix magazine has an informative piece on the Latifa affair. It's like a refreshing cool breeze to see at least one voice in that is not beholden to the conventional media. It seems that Daddy al Makhtoum is quite sensitive and after some scrap over in England moved his entire stables over here (and jobs). So Leo is quite well-advised not to be upsetting him. Another interesting point is that it seems that al Makhtoum was very helpful in financing the Clonskeagh mosque. Apparently the mosque on the north side is anti muslim brotherhood and the one on the south side is pro. Seems the whole Sunni world is split on this matter (and on many others). While I might find this interesting I hope I don't find out in some years time that it's real interesting... like if the two factions start fighting.
    I was in Limerick today and as I was strolling along in the city centre I couldn't help noticing how large the Muslim families already are. There was one Daddy with 6 kids and an African Mammy Muslim with 2 in a double buggy and 3 trailing along behind her. So in years to come from just those 2 families there are 11 kids who will be having large families, on and on and on and on until we catch up with the rest of Europe and have our own no go Muslim zones.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lagertha View Post
    I was in Limerick today and as I was strolling along in the city centre I couldn't help noticing how large the Muslim families already are. There was one Daddy with 6 kids and an African Mammy Muslim with 2 in a double buggy and 3 trailing along behind her. So in years to come from just those 2 families there are 11 kids who will be having large families, on and on and on and on until we catch up with the rest of Europe and have our own no go Muslim zones.
    I see those families every day and it is fantastic to see them settle in to our schools and adapt to the different surroundings in such a positive way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ymmek View Post
    I see those families every day and it is fantastic to see them settle in to our schools and adapt to the different surroundings in such a positive way.
    Only if
    (a) they go to school and stay in school (not a Quoran memorization drill school) until they finish the LC.
    (b) boys and girls are educated together
    (c) after the LC young people (boys and girls) either go into employment or post LC or University course.
    (d) not the girls at home and the boys in the mosque.

And above all, children of Muslim parents must be educated together with their Christian/Jewish/non-believer peers. Not hot-housed by some Saudi Wahabi cleric to despise the country that they live in.
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.