Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091 LastLast

Thread: Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Three small businesses in my street announced their closures this week.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    The bad news would be if these would only start happening after the Brexit. This is actually a good news. This gives people the last chance to think things through before it's too late.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary View Post
    The bad news would be if these would only start happening after the Brexit. This is actually a good news. This gives people the last chance to think things through before it's too late.
    Well .. I was more thinking that Halfords, M&S etc are all over here too. And Debenhams is in the most difficult position of all. So it was more about possible knockon effect of the above in UK could spill over here too. We are not immune ..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MORE:

Debenhams top brass Bucher and Cheshire ousted from board

Debenhams chair Sir Ian Cheshire and chief executive Sergio Bucher have been forced from the retailer’s board by Sports Direct mogul Mike Ashley.
    What next?

Graham Hiscott on Twitter:

Looks like "Mike the Knife" (credit: @JonathanEley) is trying to derail @Debenhams' bid to raise money from elsewhere by staging boardroom coup. A nice quiet end to 'Super Thursday'!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    Well .. I was more thinking that Halfords, M&S etc are all over here too. And Debenhams is in the most difficult position of all. So it was more about possible knockon effect of the above in UK could spill over here too. We are not immune ..
    They need to amend. Irish people preference has changed. These retailers need to change. 10 years ago middle class wouldn't touch LIDL, it was kind of a shame to shop in these shops 'for poor people', this has changed. People realized they can get more value and the expensive British products are not better quality, often worse, just nicely packaged and advertised.

Halfords simply cannot compete with ones like Micksgarage or mister-auto.
    M&S is really from a different era.
    Debenhams - I see people go there and then order online the same things half the price.
    Spar, Super Value - provide no value at all. The only time people shop there is when they run off something in between visits to Lidl or Aldi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They need to amend. Irish people preference has changed. These retailers need to change. 10 years ago middle class wouldn't touch LIDL, it was kind of a shame to shop in these shops 'for poor people', this has changed. People realized they can get more value and the expensive British products are not better quality, often worse, just nicely packaged and advertised.

Debenhams - I see people go there and then order online the same things half the price.
    Spar, Super Value - provide no value at all. The only time people shop there is when they run off something in between visits to Lidl or Aldi.
    Much of this is true. It's amazing how much of our shopping is done online. It's hard to see a future for the high street. Parking charges and business rates much seem like a cruel joke to high street retailers.
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Went into a major electrical retailer just after Christmas with my wife to buy her a new laptop.

The experience was bizarre, to say the least. Identified the model we wanted, spoke to a sales assistant (with a name badge and uniform) and he said he would get me one from the stores and I could bring it to the till. Waited about 15 minutes, business was brisk but not overly busy so after waiting, caught the attention of a manager and told him our situation. Asked could I remember the sales person name, which I did and he said there was nobody of that name working in the shop!

Explained what I wanted and he sent another nice chap over to us, took note of the laptop model and off he went. 15 minutes went by, no sign, found same manager and he said leave it with him. Another 15 mins or so passed, asked at till if the manager, whose name I had, was available, lady said she would check. After a few minutes she called us over and said he had left for the day. Told her I was there over an hour trying to buy a laptop, she said she would get someone to deal with us. After another 10-15 minutes just gave up, went home, ordered same laptop off an online retailer, had it delivered within 48 hours.

Is it any wonder retail is dying if this is what you get when you try to actually buy something off them? Bear in mind, it was over 1000 of a purchase I was trying to make.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I find Super Valu has an over inflated sense of itself. Its own brand stuff is no better than Tescos and most of the brand names can be bought in Tesco, Dunnes or Aldi/Lidl at a cheaper price.

The one close to me used to have a top notch bakery and known for it when it was Superquinn, but ever since the Super Valu rebrand, it just has bland, mass produced (or at least they taste that way) breads and cakes etc. Their fish mongers was also great but again, its dropped quite a bit and now I go to a local fish mongers which, while being that big dearer, does do high quality sea food.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes, you can get everything under one roof at SuperValu but they are dear,there bakery bread is poor, , never buy sweets , chocolates or biscuits there, the prices are outrageous.
    Spar can actually be cheaper than SuperValu for some items if you have time to shop around it pays.