Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 87 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3777838485868788899091 LastLast

Thread: Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Politics.ie Member Eventualities's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah I mean there will always be someone able to make a subsistence living on meeting the needs of that subsection of a market. But it's just that, subsistence living.
    If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

Not that I see the lads subsisting any more or less than other startup business folk.
    Smoke crack, hail Satan, steal videogames, buy music on vinyl

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There's no market for video games or new music stores any more. People download their games. People listen to Spotify. Those who want to buy physical copies (A dwindling number) will order most of them online for cheaper.

They're dead store concepts. There's no point trying to save a shop that's selling things nobody wants. The industry's evolved past them.

More concerning is the likes of Debenhams etc who just seem doomed.
    Yep. Just talking with someone yesterday about Debenhams in particular. Heavy discounting going on even in the pre-Christmas week.

Few months ago I was in a large Debenhams and noticed a distinct shrinking of the number of product lines available. Was in the same shop this morning out of curiosity and from what I saw the footfall 7 days out from Christmas day ain't nearly enough. And they are the anchor tenants in this particular shopping centre.

If what I saw is replicated across other Debenham shops in the UK I'd be amazed if they are not in the hands of the vultures end of January, start of Feb.

You can almost hear the brand groaning.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Dublin-Male-Hetero-ABFF but worried about FGLab
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Yep. Just talking with someone yesterday about Debenhams in particular. Heavy discounting going on even in the pre-Christmas week.

Few months ago I was in a large Debenhams and noticed a distinct shrinking of the number of product lines available. Was in the same shop this morning out of curiosity and from what I saw the footfall 7 days out from Christmas day ain't nearly enough. And they are the anchor tenants in this particular shopping centre.

If what I saw is replicated across other Debenham shops in the UK I'd be amazed if they are not in the hands of the vultures end of January, start of Feb.

You can almost hear the brand groaning.

My story is somewhat different. About one year or more before this Debenhams share-price debacle I had just been doing the rounds of Aldi, Lidl etc looking for a bagain... and my stroll took me to the city centre where out of curiousity I visited Dunnes, M&S and then Debenhams. Well by Gor! Dunnes was not that pricey, but M&S in comparison !!! I nearly collapsed and then Debenhams pretty much topped the bill. I kind of became aware that there was some other species inhabiting the city who shelled out more for a pair of socks than the amount that I would pay for a gansey.
    It comes as no surprise that the consumer market has caught on. But there must be something deeper afoot. It's not all that difficult to lower prices -- although I'm sure it hurts. Maybe so many vested interests. Is internet shopping responsible for their share price dropping 85% in one year? Must be more than just that.
    "Well, OK. Fine. As long as it comes with a steady paycheck, I'd believe whatever they wanted me to believe, as the Guy in Ghostbusters said."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I mean there will always be someone able to make a subsistence living on meeting the needs of that subsection of a market. But it's just that, subsistence living.
    In the DIY game it is the lads working on their own, with the other half or one employee that are making money. They'll never drive a Ferrari but they do well. It is the big boxes that are going to get it in the neck.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I just think we may be nearing a tipping point for the business model of a retailer being anchor tenant in shopping centres which in turn is supposed to attract other brands into the shopping centre.

I can see that ASOS is doing badly and they say they are 80% internet sales but if they are struggling what the situation must be at the traditionals will be fairly shocking.

I think consumers are shifting substantially to internet shopping-definitely in the retail clothing sector. Ironically enough who wants to struggle through crowds in an overheated shop to find that the shop has every size but yours? Fairly few- and the crowds are disappearing from the shops but the internet model is really replacing the expensive high-rental outlet in my opinion.

I'm guessing that Debenhams will be in upward-only leases up and down the country and you can only discount so far on products being sold before that lease set-up nationwide starts to look like the financial albatross it probably is.

Margins are slim enough in the clothing sector even with razor thin logistics and sweat-shops in Asia doing the production. Those switching to internet purchasing are probably the last straw as the margins are no longer sustainable.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shpake View Post
    My story is somewhat different. About one year or more before this Debenhams share-price debacle I had just been doing the rounds of Aldi, Lidl etc looking for a bagain... and my stroll took me to the city centre where out of curiousity I visited Dunnes, M&S and then Debenhams. Well by Gor! Dunnes was not that pricey, but M&S in comparison !!! I nearly collapsed and then Debenhams pretty much topped the bill. I kind of became aware that there was some other species inhabiting the city who shelled out more for a pair of socks than the amount that I would pay for a gansey.
    It comes as no surprise that the consumer market has caught on. But there must be something deeper afoot. It's not all that difficult to lower prices -- although I'm sure it hurts. Maybe so many vested interests. Is internet shopping responsible for their share price dropping 85% in one year? Must be more than just that.
    Debenhams is a weird store , buy some big ticket items and they seem to be ok , yet for smaller items they try to sell no brand items for 3 or 4 times the price compared to other places.
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Just thinking that the other big killer may be the buying cycle at the major retailers. Debenhams, M&S and so on would be bulk ordering their Spring ranges in September or October of this year and their summer range probably no later than January/Feb.

The logistics in Asia now are so fast that smaller operators and those selling lines direct to the public via internet websites probably have a much shorter lead-time so they can be 'on' fashion whereas a buying mistake at the big clothing stores in Europe as regards fashion would sit around their necks 'till Autumn.

Maybe not just the consumer switch- but the buying cycle is probably being undercut by the internet retailers as well.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member Eventualities's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    Debenhams is a weird store , buy some big ticket items and they seem to be ok , yet for smaller items they try to sell no brand items for 3 or 4 times the price compared to other places.
    Yep. Went in lately to look at retro-gaming tat for Xmas presents. €42 for a Sega-branded smartphone controller. Do ye be well, like
    Smoke crack, hail Satan, steal videogames, buy music on vinyl

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

IN THE UK:

The UK’s last Christmas shopping season before Brexit has been a major bummer

This year has been brutal on British retailers. But the hope, at least, was that the holiday shopping season would turn things around and give them some cause for cheer.

It hasn’t.

The current trading conditions are unprecedented in our experience and are significantly worse even than during the recession of 2008-09,” Helen Connolly, CEO of Bonmarché, said last week as the company cut its profit forecast.
    Will we see the same here I wonder??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robut View Post
    Debenhams are doomed. The BT/Arnotts stores have a huge turnover, but limited profit. But they're backed by Selfridges. Should be fine.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.