Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091 LastLast

Thread: Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well OD , it seems that staff are instructed to say "Yes , to anything the customer wants" but it is a different thing if it is available or not.Just in time delivery, has caused problems with all non-perishables goods.All companies store goods in huge distribution centres outside high rent areas and use small independent traders to deliver locally if they don't have their own contractors available.Maybe this retailer was hoping you would settle for what they had available, instead of what you wanted, this is the fall-back option for retailers. I am not surprised at what happened to you. It is not due to floor staff but , pen-pushing middle-management lackeys who are climbing the greasy pole for promotion and financial reward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary View Post
    Spar, Super Value - provide no value at all. The only time people shop there is when they run off something in between visits to Lidl or Aldi.
    Lidl and Aldi peddle cr@p. WOuldn't be seen dead in there. Sausages, orange juice, chocolate, beer tried them all and all nowhere near as good as Supervalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Lidl and Aldi peddle cr@p. WOuldn't be seen dead in there. Sausages, orange juice, chocolate, beer tried them all and all nowhere near as good as Supervalu.
    Lidl/Aldi meat & vegetables/fruit is top quality & cheap.

Bread made in-store in Lidl is OK & very reasonably priced.

Wine in Aldi is not bad (varaible in price/quality).
    My Avatar is the FF logo INVERTED symbolising contempt for the FF Party and its members.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Sausages, orange juice, chocolate, beer "

Nice, balanced diet by the way

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Snob...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fifilawe View Post
    well OD , it seems that staff are instructed to say "Yes , to anything the customer wants" but it is a different thing if it is available or not.Just in time delivery, has caused problems with all non-perishables goods.All companies store goods in huge distribution centres outside high rent areas and use small independent traders to deliver locally if they don't have their own contractors available.Maybe this retailer was hoping you would settle for what they had available, instead of what you wanted, this is the fall-back option for retailers. I am not surprised at what happened to you. It is not due to floor staff but , pen-pushing middle-management lackeys who are climbing the greasy pole for promotion and financial reward.
    Yes .. JIT is all around us for non perishable goods especially IT hardware. I can vouch for 2 things:

1. Even IT Trade distro has gone all the way JIT. Everything is now 24/48 hours. I go to IT distro warehouses and they are pretty much empty around my neck of the woods. Yes you might get a few cheap things like a Ram stick, a usb drive BUT if you want a laptop, a HP Multifunction laser and the like then its 24/48 Hours ... and at the moment mainly in from the UK.

2. PCWORLD are and have been for last few years substantially cheaper to buy something from than the same or similar product from an IT Trade Distributor. Reason for this it seems is PCWORLD get supplied from the UK main Currys / PCWORLD warehouses. Ireland is treated like a region of UK to benefit from economies of scale.

Both points will be interesting after Brexit, especially if hard no deal brexit ..

I also find it interesting that people will go into a shop demanding a product NOW. Then storm out if they dont have it. Next they go online that night and order it from a company outside there country and have no issue at all waiting for 48 hours or more before they get it. What happened to the I expect it NOW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vega1447 View Post
    Lidl/Aldi meat & vegetables/fruit is top quality & cheap.

Bread made in-store in Lidl is OK & very reasonably priced.

Wine in Aldi is not bad (varaible in price/quality).
    I don't fully agree on fresh produce, especially in Lidl. The pricing is good but I find it hit and miss and you certainly have to use it up quickly.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

From Dec 2018

Adrian Weckler on Twitter:

Sunday Independent column today: Amazon is pummelling Irish shops. Two thirds of Ireland now shops in Amazon - 18% say Amazon makes them shop less in stores.
    The Article:

Adrian Weckler: 'Why Amazon is crushing shops'

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adrian Weckler on Twitter:

Big fall in street shopping with online rising 12%, says Visa

Though this time it isnt that people DONT HAVE money to spend, it seems they do. Its because they are spending it with likes of Amazon and ITS JUST GOING OUT OF THIS COUNTRY in bucket loads. Of no benefit to the local economy at all .. ?