Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Retail Blood Bath in New Year

Speaking on Newstalk this morning, the head of Retail Excellence Ireland has said that a number of international retailers have privately told them that they will be pulling out of Ireland in early 2012. He also said a number of smaller retailers are insolvent and will be going bust.

Not looking good folks.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As I predicted upon hearing of the budget. There will be tumbleweed blowing down our high streets. Baldy, far from improving conditions for retailers in this country, has made things far, far worse! Budget for jobs my hole!
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuogid View Post
    Speaking on Newstalk this morning, the head of Retail Excellence Ireland has said that a number of international retailers have privately told them that they will be pulling out of Ireland in early 2012. He also said a number of smaller retailers are insolvent and will be going bust.

Not looking good folks.
    Have been speaking to a few friends in a few trades and they are of the same opinion. One name keeps coming up as a major loss to the city. It is only a matter of time before only major international chains are left in Ireland. The rent problem is a major one. Rates are too high. No cash left in the system means that retail in Ireland dying.

Yet not a damned thing is being done to maintain the jobs that are lost, all in the interest of Insurance companies etc.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuogid View Post

Not looking good folks.
    Well believe it. consequences of government blindly following crazy instructions. Yeah yeah I know they are signed up to this but raising VAT etc is NOT in the interest of the common good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    Have been speaking to a few friends in a few trades and they are of the same opinion. One name keeps coming up as a major loss to the city. It is only a matter of time before only major international chains are left in Ireland. The rent problem is a major one. Rates are too high. No cash left in the system means that retail in Ireland dying.

Yet not a damned thing is being done to maintain the jobs that are lost, all in the interest of Insurance companies etc.
    got to protect NAMA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As a retailer I may wellining the exodus. I feel like I am working for the government

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will we see another 10,000 jobs gone?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

when the looting starts, at least we know the salaries of our government and who to target.

Somewhere up in the Wicklow mountains digging an even deeper nuclear shelter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"when the looting starts" Burning and sacking Leinster House would be far more productive surely?
    If you continue to elect idiots in elections, don't be surprised when the result is an idiotic government.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Increased fuel prices will cause the prices of goods to go up, as will the VAT increase. High rents still going up, high rates, why would any retailer want to stay open? My bet is that a lot of small retailers will get as much cash is possible before Christmas and go belly up in the New Year, leaving the revenue short on tax and lots more people on the dole.

Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast