Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 1136 1234511511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Christian Bakery facing legal action over refusing to make homosexual propaganda cake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Christian Bakery facing legal action over refusing to make homosexual propaganda cake

Ashers Baking Co, based in Newtownabbey co. Antrim, refused to make a homosexual propaganda cake because it offended their Christian beliefs. The cake requested would have had a picture of the Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie and the slogan “support gay marriage” while also featuring the words "Queer Space". The bakery has been told by the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland that it broke the law by not making the homosexual propaganda cake and it has seven days to remedy it's "illegal discrimination" or face court.

If the bakery refused to serve someone because of their sexual orientation then of course that would be discrimination. However, they should have a right not to produce a cake that they find offensive and runs counter to their religious beliefs. It's political correctness gone mad. Christians are being persecuted by the liberal bigots.

Bert and Ernie gay marriage cake leaves Christian bakery facing court threat - Telegraph
    Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I would agree that it is not discrimination on the grounds that a straight person would also have been refused the cake in question, but that being said, I have an overwhelming belief that the bakery should get over themselves and just print the damn thing.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post
    Ashers Baking Co, based in Newtownabbey co. Antrim, refused to make a homosexual propaganda cake because it offended their Christian beliefs. The cake requested would have had a picture of the Sesame Street characters Bert and Ernie and the slogan “support gay marriage” while also featuring the words "Queer Space". The bakery has been told by the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland that it broke the law by not making the homosexual propaganda cake and it has seven days to remedy it's "illegal discrimination" or face court.

If the bakery refused to serve someone because of their sexual orientation then of course that would be discrimination. However, they should have a right not to produce a cake that they find offensive and runs counter to their religious beliefs. It's political correctness gone mad. Christians are being persecuted by the liberal bigots.

Bert and Ernie gay marriage cake leaves Christian bakery facing court threat - Telegraph
    Funnily enough, I am in a kind of agreement with you - I do think that a company should be allowed to pick and choose what work they take on, no matter how spiteful, nasty and narrow minded their reasons.

I do find it amusing thought that the same bakery is contravening so called 'Christian teaching' in many others ways everyday and is choosing to focus on this issue as one to make a stand on.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Politics.ie Member dizillusioned's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

And todays gay thread is started by...... surprise surprise... Honey!!..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Honecker View Post

What is a 'homosexual propaganda cake' and does it have a cherry on the top?

More importantly, why weren't they shut down long ago for baking Christians?

I mean, FFS, a 'Christian bakery'; what's that even supposed to mean.

A Jewish bakery would make challah, matzoh and good bagels.

An Italian bakery would churn out ciabatta and foccaccia.

But what in the name of Odin would a Christian bakery make? Communion hosts?
    Last edited by statsman; 8th July 2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think they are entitled to refuse this business.

Do they bake on a Sunday?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dizillusioned View Post
    And todays gay thread is started by...... surprise surprise... Honey!!..
    A man obsessed.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is just the type of stunt that could cause the homosexual lobby to lose the same sex marriage referendum.

They do not appear to realise that society's respect for tolerance forms the bedrock of their support among heterosexuals.

Projecting themselves as anti-Christian bigots will offend that same sense of tolerance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The OP believes allowing SSM will immediately lead to married hetro men turning gay overnight.

As for the bakery like those two 'xian' B&B owners tough titty you've opted to run your business in liberal democratic states ye don't like it feck off to some theocracy we don't allow discrimination round these parts.

Amazing how all these xians have no problem selling alcohol etc, they used to say patriotism was the last refuge of a scoundrel I think religion has taken over.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    But what in the name of Odin would a Christian bakery make? Communion hosts?
    I knew a fella from school who used to collect the hosts at Mass and would bring them home. When he had enough he would make a host sandwich.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.