Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Are UAVs a growing threat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    The breadboard prototype was powered from the arduino 5v but the stripboard version dispensed with the arduino and used a bare ATmega328. I powered the controller correctly from a 7805 but for some stupid reason I took vcc for the MPU6050 from the 12v input of the car ciggy lighter rather than the output of the 7805.

All part of the fun of learning and the cost is only pennies when buying from China.
    I have not been constructing for a while now but you are whetting my appetite just listening to you. Aurdino and raspberry pi were gamechangers without doubt. Smell of solder flux is also addictive

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

You wouldn't be up to the Chinese lads and their back doors. Speaking of back doors there's probably a full report in Beijing as we speak from Baron Von Biffos drone and photos of Lady Von Biffo's drawers being circulated far and wide at a Conference of Party Delegates.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Expect more of this......

A drone attack on a Yemeni government base by the rebel Houthi movement has reportedly killed six soldiers.
    The drone exploded above a podium at al-Anad base, in the southern province of Lahj, where high-ranking officers and officials were watching a parade.
    Medics said army deputy chief of staff Gen Saleh al-Zindani and Lahj governor Ahmed al-Turki were among those hurt.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46822429
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will future airports require exclusion zones around them?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nebuchadnezzar View Post
    Expect more of this......
    Haven’t we seen thousands of deaths already from US drones?

I’m guessing those Houthi lads didn’t glue that together themselves.
    Last edited by Ardillaun; 11th January 2019 at 06:33 AM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post

We're speaking of different types of drones. Not military drones. Incidentally - and I don't want this to be taken as support for their deployment - military drones seem to have an astonishing rate of clean kills. I mean that in the dreadfully euphemistic sense of not having a high rate of "collateral damage". Figures from Pakistan indicate a rate of around 25% of civilian deaths when they are deployed. 25% is, of course 25% too high, but conventional methods typically involve a bycatch of around 65%.

It's a dreadful discussion. Which way of killing enemies is most clinical.

I'd always feared that young people sitting in bunkers remote from the action and far from threat would be psychologically immune to the dreadful outcomes of their actions, but it seems that that same remoteness is allowing calmness and precision.

Politics.ie Member Nebuchadnezzar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ardillaun View Post

The Iranians supplied them or perhaps it’s a locally manufactured copy of an Iranian original....

C5m5Lm8U0AA7_Ap.jpg

...but that incorrectly describes the engine as a gas turbine....it’s not. It’s a small petrol engine. It’s relatively low tech but long range but and with a fairly hefty 30kg payload. These things are cheap, easy to operate, very accurate, low risk to the attacker and very difficult to counter.
    Is not this the great Babylon that I have built.....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CatullusV View Post
    We're speaking of different types of drones. Not military drones. Incidentally - and I don't want this to be taken as support for their deployment - military drones seem to have an astonishing rate of clean kills. I mean that in the dreadfully euphemistic sense of not having a high rate of "collateral damage". Figures from Pakistan indicate a rate of around 25% of civilian deaths when they are deployed. 25% is, of course 25% too high, but conventional methods typically involve a bycatch of around 65%.

I'd always feared that young people sitting in bunkers remote from the action and far from threat would be psychologically immune to the dreadful outcomes of their actions, but it seems that that same remoteness is allowing calmness and precision.
    I’d be sceptical of those low civilian casualties and basically any figures from Pakistan and thereabouts. Two strikes on Zawahiri are reported to have killed over 100 people.

41 men targeted but 1,147 people killed: US drone strikes – the facts on the ground | US news | The Guardian
    Last edited by Ardillaun; 11th January 2019 at 07:17 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CatullusV View Post
    Sniper teams. But that involves a lot more planning, current intelligence and support. It also means getting the team in range of the target and extracting them. With a drone strike, it may be possible to visually identify the target. In terms of conservation of assets and resources, a drone strike means that highly skilled people who have taken years to train are not put at risk. If you want to know where information driven warfare is going, there's a good book called "Rise And Kill First" by Ronen Bergman that details Israeli operations against suicide bombings.
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member Northsideman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Off topic but anyone know what became of Des Quirell who started this thread?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell