Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: 1945: The Savage Peace

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default 1945: The Savage Peace

1945: The Savage Peace BBC 2 May 24th

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.
    The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries.

An interesting program on BBC 2 this evening showing what was happening in Germany in 1945 whilst we in Britain were celebrating victory in Europe.

I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints. Still a very sad and moving account of post war Europe though.
    Last edited by Rafael Rose; 12th May 2016 at 03:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Germans sowed the wind and they reaped the whirlwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Rose View Post
    I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints..
    Yes. of course you do.
    “There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can’t think of one at the moment.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very tough show to watch. I was expecting a general history of the aftermath of the Second World War. All those personal testimonies and archive footage made for harrowing watching. It must be remembered though that these countries in which these crimes against Germans after the war occurred experienced brutal occupation at the hands of the Nazis.
    'The wall will go up and Mexico will start behaving.'

BBC iPlayer - 1945: The Savage Peace

When the Second World War ended, the people of liberated Europe celebrated their freedom from Nazi tyranny. Their years of suffering had ended, but for millions of Germans, the end of the conflict opened a new and terrible chapter.
    The Savage Peace reveals the appalling violence meted out to the defeated, especially to those ethnic Germans who had lived peacefully for centuries in neighbouring countries.

An interesting program on BBC 2 this evening showing what was happening in Germany in 1945 whilst we in Britain were celebrating victory in Europe.

I did feel the program pointed more towards crimes committed by the Soviets after the war, where I'm sure us Brits, the French and Americans weren't exactly saints. Still a very sad and moving account of post war Europe though.
    Wasn't all kick out the Germans as even today there are still many Polish/German families in Silesia.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

BBC iPlayer - 1945: The Savage Peace

Saw the programme last night. Loads of stuff that I've never seen before and a lot of it was very uncomfortable to watch.

The Savage Continent - is a book about the vengence wrecked on the German population by the Allies and others after the war. When the Allies entered Germany, they too were given free reign to do as they pleased to the German population, by then mostly old men, women and children.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polybius View Post
    The Germans sowed the wind and they reaped the whirlwind.
    Yea sure, but the programme was still difficult to watch. Besides, it was the women and children who bore the blunt of the vengence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very interesting documentary - even stopped me from turning over to MOTD to watch it.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    Very interesting documentary - even stopped me from turning over to MOTD to watch it.
    Giles Mac Donough has written After the Reich for anyone interested in this topic.

It makes for sad reading as the most of the victims were elderly, women and children.

The British army appear to have been the least worse occupiers in the 45-47 period.

The German parliament (in the 70s) I think commisioned a report on this time and the number of deaths that resulted from killings and deliberate starvation but it seems that it was suppressed. Probably because of the cold war.

In fact it was the cold war that saved the Germans from even more years of deprivation and cruelty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpa1876 View Post
    Sad but ultimately the Germans brought it upon themselves.

****************************** them!
    There are rules even in war.
    If the right of return is short hand for destroying the Israeli state than so be it- if to be for justice is to be anti-Semitic than anti-Semitism is a good thing p.ie in 2019.

Page 1 of 58 123451151 ... LastLast