Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Higgins Report published - Shatter and Callinan vindicated?

Default O'Higgins Report published - Shatter and Callinan vindicated?

The full O'Higgins Report is available here: https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/ohiggins.pdf

First impression: Alan Shatter and Martin Callinan are owed a massive apology by Enda Kenny, who effectively wrecked their careers.

I'm surprised O'Higgins isn't more damning of Brian Purcell's bungling:

13.169 On 26th February 2013 the commissioner sent a report to the secretary general
    addressing the letter of 20th December 2012.

13.170 Mr. Purcell told the commission the report was not furnished to the minister:
    ...but, yes, it should have gone to the minister as I said not necessarily when it came in straight away but following appropriate attention or consideration in the Garda division and then if it came back up the line it would have then in the normal course of events it would have either gone or there would have been a discussion with the minister at that stage but for whatever reason that didn’t happen.
    You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Callinan's public attitude to the whistleblowers remains disgraceful, no matter what the O'Higgins Report has to say.

Politics.ie Member former wesleyan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    Callinan's public attitude to the whistleblowers remains disgraceful, no matter what the O'Higgins Report has to say.
    As does his prompt by the current Commiss.
    "What Michael Collins accepted in '22,De Valera accepted in'27 and Gerry Adams accepted in '98.Sooner or later they all come around to accepting the Treaty"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian Hermit Monk View Post
    The full O'Higgins Report is available here: https://static.rasset.ie/documents/news/ohiggins.pdf

First impression: Alan Shatter and Martin Callinan are owed a massive apology by Enda Kenny, who effectively wrecked their careers.

kenny, as usual, has made an own goal of an open goal; shatter and callinan should have been long gone before the guerin report. they wrecked their own careers
    "I like a bit of a cavort, I don't send 'em solicitor's letters. I apply a bit of pressure"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian Hermit Monk View Post

Callinhan destroyed his own career by calling his subordinate disgusting n a public forum.
    Shatter didn't publically rebuke him.

Im not kennys biggest fan, but if he sacked them, it was in the public interest.
    if he didn't follow the correct process though......

Quote Originally Posted by bazlad View Post
    Callinhan destroyed his own career by calling his subordinate disgusting n a public forum.
    Shatter didn't publically rebuke him.
    In fairness, Callinan did NOT say that his subordinates were disgusting.

He did say that he thought it was disgusting for the whistleblowers to make claims of corruption against other Gardaí:

O'Higgins concludes that the charges of corruption were unfounded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It's the same as every report made in Ireland. No one is responsible or held accountable. The really good news though is that there are no bent coppers in Ireland.

13.171 Mr. Shatter explained that he made enquiries throughout 2013 as to whether there were any developments on the matter. He told the commission that on the 26th February 2014, while preparing to give a speech in the Dáil, Mr. Purcell gave the report of the commissioner dated 26th February 2013 to him for the first time and:
    ...apologised for my not having seen it. I was taken aback that I hadn’t seen it ... And I read it. One of the problems with all this is ex post facto rationalisation and I don’t want to engage in that, but if I could put it this way: There was content in that letter which if I had seen before would have given rise, I think, to my asking further questions. That was my perception of it when I saw it. I couldn’t understand why I hadn’t been given it earlier.
    The Minister is given this key letter a full year after the Commissioner sent it to the Secretary General!

Mr. Purcell, meanwhile, was moved sideways, to the HSE, and seems to have retained his €180,000 salary!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolute whitewash again.

Could we have a Report on the O'Higgins Report please?

Page 1 of 107 123451151101 ... LastLast