Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 2 of 132 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1320

Thread: Console Charity - Are Irish charities a money making machine for their founders

  1. #11
    Politics.ie Member hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olympic Stadium
    Posts
    58,469
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    - Why aren't there greater checks and balances on the identities of directors when they are incorporating a company.
    - Why aren't there greater checks by grant funder's and Revenue on charities where the directors are also paid employees.
    - How many of the people who are processing the grant application can forensically analyse the books of accounts that accompany the application?

    Like Console, I've worked in the charitable sector where the directors where paid employees, where they misrepresented activities and misappropriated monies in their applications for grant funding, and where there were financial irregularities that should have been identified by the grant funders. To this day, that organisation is still in existence, with some of the directors still on the board, despite the fact that the whistle was blown.
    Blow it again damus.

  2. #12
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    How come also it takes a year for the report to be prepared. Surely there was a need for the report to be expediated ?
    It doesn't, a group of forensic accountants can go in to these organisations and expeditiously do a forensic analysis of their records and activities relating to the grant funding and how the monies are being expended.

  3. #13
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    11,430
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    It doesn't, a group of forensic accountants can go in to these organisations and expeditiously do a forensic analysis of their records and activities relating to the grant funding and how the monies are being expended.
    but the will is not there because of the cozy Establishment circle that is operating in Ireland.

  4. #14
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    Blow it again damus.
    What amazed me Hammer was that they were so blaze. I just started working in this organisation and from the word go they were so open about what they were doing and expecting me to go along with it like it were completely normal. Professionally, ethically and legally it was wrong and I came to the decision to leave after a discussion with the ODCE.

  5. #15
    Politics.ie Member damus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    23,685
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by realistic1 View Post
    but the will is not there because of the cozy Establishment circle that is operating in Ireland.
    True, in another organisation officials from the funding body where on the BoD which is another complete no no. Politicians too. Remember at the end of one financial year the funding body gave €80k that must be spent before the years end. The money couldn't be carried over to the next financial year. Those monies ended up being allocated to mickey mouse projects that really didn't have any notable benefit to the community. No cost benefit analysis and no value for money. Another instance of money being just put down the drain in order to ensure that they'd get next years funding.

  6. #16
    Politics.ie Member eoghanacht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sitting on my toilet.
    Posts
    33,357
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daveL View Post
    Our charity sector is rammed full of such.
    I just don't understand it, ambition/drive yeah fine but to get by thrive even by taking advantage of people's misery.

    I'd rather eat cardboard.
    Britain operated death squads - ''97% of the Loyalists I interviewed were working directly for the State.'' - Nuala O'Loan. #FreeAhedTamimi

  7. #17
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily Davison View Post
    - Why are there so many Irish charities
    - Why are so many charities doing the job that the state ostensibley be doing
    - Do the charities do a better job than the state
    Those are the real questions. These are health services which the HSE is outsourcing. There might be historical reasons for how this emerged (possibly pre-HSE in health board era/) but it doesn't mean it correct for it to continue. Could it really be that its cheaper to pay 80% of "charity" budget & let them them fund raise for the remaining 20% than provide 100% of funding inside the HSE?

  8. #18
    Politics.ie Member daveL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eoghanacht View Post
    I just don't understand it, ambition/drive yeah fine but to get by thrive even by taking advantage of people's misery.

    I'd rather eat cardboard.
    Irish people are generous and charitable.

    Our charity sector is poorly regulated and open to questionable behaviours.

    It's inevitable

  9. #19
    Politics.ie Member Emily Davison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Continental Coven
    Posts
    29,668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by damus View Post
    - Why aren't there greater checks and balances on the identities of directors when they are incorporating a company.
    - Why aren't there greater checks by grant funder's and Revenue on charities where the directors are also paid employees.
    - How many of the people who are processing the grant application can forensically analyse the books of accounts that accompany the application?

    Like Console, I've worked in the charitable sector where the directors where paid employees, where they misrepresented activities and misappropriated monies in their applications for grant funding, and where there were financial irregularities that should have been identified by the grant funders. To this day, that organisation is still in existence, with some of the directors still on the board, despite the fact that the whistle was blown.
    Apologies everybody, I got disturbed while composing the OP.
    A descendant of all the Witches they could not drown.

  10. #20
    Politics.ie Member Emily Davison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Continental Coven
    Posts
    29,668
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanieFitz View Post
    You are right and Mr Kelly is a fairly special type

    I watched the Prime Time programme and you couldn't make it up. In the 80's this guy got a job as a doctor in a Dublin hospital with no qualifications what so ever. He was subsequently fired and prosecuted and got a non custodial sentence. He then focused on fund raising and formed charities where he used to seek funding from high profile business people under the guise of a reverend and a brother of makey uppy religious orders, they didn't even exist however he maintained that he was in the process of establishing the religious orders. He appointed family members on boards, there were trips to Australia and NZ that cost approx €500,000 and they interviewed an accountant that said he never before saw anything like this, a charity/group/business that presented 6 different financial accounts for a particular year. It was shocking stuff
    This guy makes Angela Kerins look like Mother Teresa

    bet he is glad that Brexit has taken the heat off of him this morning
    Could you please link to the doctor and religous references
    A descendant of all the Witches they could not drown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •