Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 467 of 477 FirstFirst ... 367417457463464465466467468469470471 ... LastLast
Results 4,661 to 4,670 of 4766

Thread: Varadkar watch - track his successes and failures as Taoiseach for easy reference

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    There is zero chance of health spending being controlled. O'Brien said Dublin needs 3 Emergency centres, not 6, he also said Navan is not fit for purpose, does anyone think there is the smallest possibility that either will accepted by the political class? Anyone who ever managed a project knows that the only way to reduce overall cost is to reduce the scope of work. Health spending is mainly on wages but it is politically impossible to close a hospital.
    I agree that no politician will support the closure of 3 A&Es in Dublin, even if there were more primary care centres than there are newsagents. Re cost, not so much - one of the reasons the vested interests were out to get Reilly was that his plan included changed the core daytime period to 8am-8pm, from it's previous 9am-5pm. That saved cost without increasing work, and they never forgave him for it.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some stats from Varadkar's first year in office:

707,000 on Hospital waiting lists
    44,029 children waiting for treatment
    76 percent jump in property prices
    1, 572 euro, the average rent in Dublin
    800,000 on or below the poverty line
    10,000 homeless

Well done FG and all their supporters!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    My point is that the mob on here who were hooping and whooping about Reilly's resignation, as usual were utterly failing to see the bigger picture, the wider context. Here's the reality - Reilly was the worst nightmare for the vested interests in the health service, those whose restrictive practices and cushy numbers are making a bad health service worse, and stimying any real reform. Reilly was their worst nightmare because he was a Health Minister who knew the system, knew the politics, knew those vested interests and what they were at, and had plans to fix the whole lot. Do you really think the journos found out that stuff about the primary care centres all by themselves? Do you think Shortall did? And the stuff about his personal finances? Reilly was brought down by a classic inside job, and when the new man came in everything went back to dquare one, because Varadkar hadn't the inside experience Reilly had.

And as usual, the mob got it wrong. The same mob who are now giving out that nothing changes in Health.
    What the f**k are you talking about???

Reilly was the president of the IMO, the greatest vested interest there is in health, before he decided to try his luck at being a politician........
    Jesus Wept!!!
    FFG. Keeping the Axis of Corruption intact!

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Telstar 62 View Post
    The hysterical reaction to his latest statement might give you a clue, laddy.
    The lying gobsh1te is trying to blame the people at the coalface for the failings of HSE management.
    What next, blame the patients for being ill?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    See above. Health service vested interests were particularly delighted.
    Including the IMO?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon73 View Post
    I gave my experience of how rotas were not in use for Speech therapy and Physiotherapy. They were mentioned to us as being very important to help recovery. Yet, the services stopped simply because rotas were not in place. I never mentioned nurses and doctors. As a matter of fact, the loneliness of the place over those long week-ends might suggest that there could have been a lot of doctors and nurses absent There's no point in dealing with Doctors as they will tell us - as they did on radio,- that they are either on duty or on call. Who knows what's happening?
    Perhaps you should follow your own advice to me and "think for a little longer before you write." Of course rotas are part of so many occupations , otherwise there would be chaos. Please think of the patients while still giving fair play to the medics.
    You brought it to the doctors' and nurses' door at the end of your post. Varadkar attacked the doctors and nurses specifically. Of course patients must come first, we are all patients at one time or another. In my experience the vast majority of hospital doctors and nurses always put the patients first. It's almost a vocation for them. There is a very severe shortage of speech therapists at any time and even outside of a bank holiday your relative would have been lucky to see one. They cannot be expected to work around the clock. Varadkar was Minister for Health and is now Taoiseach, it is he who should carry the can for your relative's unacceptable and unfortunate experience.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IDBI0 View Post
    Varadkar attacked the doctors and nurses specifically.
    When did LV attack doctors and nurses specifically?
    "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." Mark Twain

“When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.” Napoléon Bonaparte

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Ted Crilly View Post

Reilly was the president of the IMO, the greatest vested interest there is in health, before he decided to try his luck at being a politician........
    Jesus Wept!!!
    You never heard the expression poacher turned gamekeeper?
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Ted Crilly View Post

Jesus Wept!!!
    But that's exactly my point. He knew, if you'll pardon the unfortunate phrase, where the bodies were buried. They couldn't bullsh*t him the way they could outsiders like Martin and Harney, who knew nothing about it.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    Some stats from Varadkar's first year in office:

707,000 on Hospital waiting lists
    44,029 children waiting for treatment
    76 percent jump in property prices
    1, 572 euro, the average rent in Dublin
    800,000 on or below the poverty line
    10,000 homeless

Well done FG and all their supporters!
    Except that they're not stats from his first year in office. You realise that a Taoiseach can't reset everything to zero when he takes office?