Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 134 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134
Results 1,331 to 1,332 of 1332

Thread: 48% of Northern Irish would vote for United Ireland in shock new poll.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It pains me to say it BUT a future referendum/vote on Irish unity would most likely fail in the South. Northern Nationalists KNOW that the Southern electorate is easily controlled and manipulated and that a combination of RTE/Independent News propaganda, economic scaremongering aligned with Unionist/Loyalist violence will frighten the Southern populace into voting against it. There is also a substantive, hostile, rabidly anti-Northern element in the South that is comfortable with partition, as any Northern GAA person will testify, and they will control the narrative during the debate and vote. I am sorry if this offends BUT as a Northern Nationalist I hold no confidence in the 26 counties WHATSOEVER to deliver Irish unity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FOURGREENFIELDS View Post
    It pains me to say it BUT a future referendum/vote on Irish unity would most likely fail in the South. Northern Nationalists KNOW that the Southern electorate is easily controlled and manipulated and that a combination of RTE/Independent News propaganda, economic scaremongering aligned with Unionist/Loyalist violence will frighten the Southern populace into voting against it. There is also a substantive, hostile, rabidly anti-Northern element in the South that is comfortable with partition, as any Northern GAA person will testify, and they will control the narrative during the debate and vote. I am sorry if this offends BUT as a Northern Nationalist I hold no confidence in the 26 counties WHATSOEVER to deliver Irish unity.
    The South would vote for it.
    I'd guess 65/35.
    Maybe 60/40.
    But it would pass.

The North still has 20+ years to go.
    Simply, far more Catholics would vote to remain than Unionists vote to move.
    Consequently, you're going to need a 55/45 Catholic majority.
    I mistakenly said 60/40 in post #1325 above. That's probably too wide.