Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 124 of 140 FirstFirst ... 2474114120121122123124125126127128134 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1392

Thread: 48% of Northern Irish would vote for United Ireland in shock new poll.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Nothing would be achieved by a border poll unless you consider highlighting the sectarian headcount in the north worthwhile. I'll believe it when I see it but as someone said years ago - half of the north are loyal to the crown but all are loyal to the half crown.
    Thank you for sharing your ignorant and outdated partitionist views from the 1970s.

Seriously like, this post is so absurdly clichéd and wrong and totally out of touch with the reality of NI in 2019, you should actually be very, very embarrassed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    ... When you think about it it was only the early 90s when the cracks started to appear in Church dominance. Anyone over around the late-40s is still more likely than not to be a Believer, and to have been well indoctrinated in those attitides. And of course the Church still control the schools and still pettily trying to enforce their social hierarchies through school admissions.

It'll be another generation or two before that petty and vicious Catholic social snobbery starts to lose out to more enlightened attitudes. But it will happen, eventually. I'd say younger people will be able to enjoy real changes in Irish political and social attitudes over the next couple of decades.
    I'm afraid you're mistaken if you think that the elimination of Catholic Church dominance is ushering in a new golden age for Ireland. The current figures are something like:
    790,000 people living in poverty
    80,000 needed food parcels last year
    700,000 waiting for hospital treatment
    3,826 children homeless
    "Average" house price in Dublin €384,000

Then you have all the bad debts, increasing inequality (ensured by FGFF), increasing taxes, increasing crime, Brexit problems, and so on. You don't seem to realize that the Catholic Church no longer has any influence, let alone dominance. Do you think the people in power now have a moral compass that the bishops lacked in the old days? Are you imagining that after a generation you'll return to a spanking new, progressive, prosperous Ireland? God bless your optimism.
    15 Jan 2001 -- Fine Gael pledged to end fluoridation because of "serious health concerns".

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soubresauts View Post
    I'm afraid you're mistaken if you think that the elimination of Catholic Church dominance is ushering in a new golden age for Ireland. The current figures are something like:
    80,000 needed food parcels last year
    700,000 waiting for hospital treatment
    3,826 children homeless
    "Average" house price in Dublin €384,000

Then you have all the bad debts, increasing inequality (ensured by FGFF), increasing taxes, increasing crime, Brexit problems, and so on. You don't seem to realize that the Catholic Church no longer has any influence, let alone dominance. Do you think the people in power now have a moral compass that the bishops lacked in the old days? Are you imagining that after a generation you'll return to a spanking new, progressive, prosperous Ireland? God bless your optimism.
    You appear to be arguing against the Voices in your head, not anything I actually said.

The people who are actually in charge of descision making, particularly in socio-economic matters, are still all of the older indoctrinated conservative Catholic mindset. It hasn't been anywhere near long enough for the virus of Catholic social conservatism to work its way through the system. Especially given they still have a lock on schools and hospitals and the Depts of Education and Health are notorious for being heavily infiltrated by priest-licking bead-rattling Believers on a mission from Jebus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soubresauts View Post
    Who are these 790,000 ?

Are they the Margaret Cash's of this country who never work, yet take home €52,000 per year courtesy of the taxpayer ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Who are these 790,000 ?

Are they the Margaret Cash's of this country who never work, yet take home €52,000 per year courtesy of the taxpayer ?
    The same 790000 touted round by social justice Ireland to justify more taxes and more spending. They have criteria like you're living in poverty if you can't have friends round for drinks once a fortnight.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by londonpride View Post
    To achieve a United Ireland the poll would have to be a clear victory ,otherwise a civil war could ensue.
    It would have to be a clear 75% for a United country

Irrespective of outcome could you imagine what it would be like in the Irish Parliament with thirty or forty Unionist MP's debating

Certainly would bring some life to the place.
    Have you got a problem with understanding democracy, a clear majority though preferable is not required, 50% plus 1 is required. Tick Tock

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    John is alarmed at the prospect of an end to his personal hobby of fifth-columnism. Interesting how he kept that relatively quiet when he was on a cabinet salary in the Republic. One can but hope he discovers the joys of Hornby train sets to keep him amused in his dotage.

The prospect of a United Ireland on the horizon does bring up the subject of what changes would be necessary to administer it securely in such a way as to gain acceptance from all sides of the community in NI.

I'd propose something fairly radical and a double-win in looking again at regional government on the island as a whole. I'd see a transitional arrangement to build confidence with overall governmental responsibility shared by an Executive reporting to both British and Irish cabinet level and containing cabinet members from both states.

Below that I'd parallel a reformed system of regional governance with new emphasis on the four provinces model which would allow people in NI to be reassured that they would still be governed by people in Northern Ireland in daily matters. In the south the opportunity would be there to shift pothole-government into provincial models with savings to be made at local government level and in procurement and urban and rural planning matters.

It would be an idea time to attack some longstanding issues around 'co-location' for instance. Apart from transition to unification being a time of possible nervousness and crisis I'd prefer it to be buttressed by welcome reform both north and south.
    The department mandarins will be most reluctant to release their tight grip on power, particularly local government. An event like a UI would be the ideal opportunity to bypass these unelected power hungry merchants and equally as challenging to achieve as a workable UI. John, I cannot believe I was Taoiseach Bruton, most assuredly shares those concerns with mandarins. I wonder what the other Bruton thinks?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr_anderson View Post
    Who are these 790,000 ?

I was just thinking that.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Uganda View Post
    The same 790000 touted round by social justice Ireland to justify more taxes and more spending. They have criteria like you're living in poverty if you can't have friends round for drinks once a fortnight.
    Or can't buy the kids the latest liverpool or man utd jersey, tough going so it is.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whats wrong with wearing a Liverpool or Man United jersey . We see people wearing Irish jerseys everywhere.