Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast

Thread: The #MeToo movement - justice or witchhunt?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Its ludicrous, imagine if men were to start a metoo movement and start litigating against men and women who smacked their asses, I was once stripped of my tee shirt by a hen party I took to a nightclub, all done in fun ,quite flattering and ego massaging, but obviously gang rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    G'way with the boasting......

15 years driving taxis and buses late at night left me no wealthier but with many a story.
    You lucky devil, have a few story's to tell from my time on night work myself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't think of any.
    What? Basically, you can't admit that you would absolutely hate to have a stag party rip off your shirt, you'd feel threatened, you'd feel unsafe.

It's like what some of these mens rights freaks have in their mind, they think some women actually want to be raped, they're asking for it. They say to themselves, if the tables were turned I wouldn't mind a woman raping me. When you give them the far, far, far more likely scenario; that they'd be raped by another man, they change their opinion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    What? Basically, you can't admit that you would absolutely hate to have a stag party rip off your shirt, you'd feel threatened, you'd feel unsafe.
    Absolutely i'd feel threatened, I would be much more inclined to use force to stop this happening, but having said that I would much rather get the crap kicked out of me than be raped.

It's like what some of these mens rights freaks have in their mind, they think some women actually want to be raped, they're asking for it. They say to themselves, if the tables were turned I wouldn't mind a woman raping me. When you give them the far, far, far more likely scenario; that they'd be raped by another man, they change their opinion.
    Thats an odd insight, I would have thought rape was more about dominance and humiliation and less about justification.
    A man cannot give birth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely i'd feel threatened, I would be much more inclined to use force to stop this happening, but having said that I would much rather get the crap kicked out of me than be raped.

Thats an odd insight, I would have thought rape was more about dominance and humiliation and less about justification.
    But then you wouldn't press charges of course?

I was talking about the mens rights freaks, not all of them are rapists themselves. Yet anyway. They mostly are full of cheerleaders for rapists and women haters. They have a view that women really want to be raped deep down. Sickos.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

[...]

I do agree that there is a questionable angle to some of the motivations of some of the claimants, but like insurance claims, just because some people make false claims does not mean all insurance claims are bogus.
    But it does mean that we investigate claims professionally and dispassionately. We don't begin by believing the claimant. Neither will any barrister who tests the claimants case be subjected to abuse, there won't be street mobs protesting against the verdicts and those who support such cases being heard according using due process will not be targetted for abuse and called fraud apologists.

If a man slaps another man in the arse, that's sexual assault too.
    And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?
    Do you object to men not being allowed to slap women on the arse?
    There is no Keyser Soze

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Do you object to men not being allowed to slap women on the arse?
    Oh obviously. That's the only possible interpretation that could be put on me asking "And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But it does mean that we investigate claims professionally and dispassionately. We don't begin by believing the claimant. Neither will any barrister who tests the claimants case be subjected to abuse, there won't be street mobs protesting against the verdicts and those who support such cases being heard according using due process will not be targetted for abuse and called fraud apologists.
    Firstly, as I recall, and feel free to display if I am incorrect, it was not the verdict, it was the tactic that was protested.

As for investigating insurance cases, I am aware of the procedure, but would find it curious if the claimant was asked about an illegal parking ticket or perhaps their choice of steering wheel cover in a case where they had been involved in a collision.

As I have said before, yes, it would. It would be hard to convict, but that is due to the Irish legal & police system, not the law itself.

But in the UK, they take it quite seriously:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3921781.html
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh obviously. That's the only possible interpretation that could be put on me asking "And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?"

oh, you're allowed to ask patronizing questions, but I'm not?
    There is no Keyser Soze

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Firstly, as I recall, and feel free to display if I am incorrect, it was not the verdict, it was the tactic that was protested.
    The protests are ostensibly about 42 words spoken by the defence barrister. So far as I've been able to discover, the context for those remarks has not been reported anywhere in the media.

The readiness to protest despite this gap in our knowledge suggests that the ostensible reason is not the true one, at least as far as the organisers of the protests are concerned.

As for investigating insurance cases, I am aware of the procedure, but would find it curious if the claimant was asked about an illegal parking ticket or perhaps their choice of steering wheel cover in a case where they had been involved in a collision.
    There could very well be contexts in which reference to either of those items would be relevant. If fro instance the accused protested that he'd never so much as had a parking ticket then evidence to the contrary would be significant. Similarly the accident examiner could give evidence that a poorly fitting steering wheel cover impaired the driver's ability to steer properly.

As I said, such cases would be investigated professionally and dispassionately.

As I have said before, yes, it would. It would be hard to convict, but that is due to the Irish legal & police system, not the law itself.

But in the UK, they take it quite seriously:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3921781.html
    "She was taken to a central London police station, where she was issued a dispersal order requiring her to leave the Carnival footprint."

Does anyone really believe that had a man slapped the arse of a female inspector the outcome would have been so light for him?