Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 98 of 103 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 1027

Thread: The #MeToo movement - justice or witchhunt?

  1. #971
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,285
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Its ludicrous, imagine if men were to start a metoo movement and start litigating against men and women who smacked their asses, I was once stripped of my tee shirt by a hen party I took to a nightclub, all done in fun ,quite flattering and ego massaging, but obviously gang rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    G'way with the boasting......

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    15 years driving taxis and buses late at night left me no wealthier but with many a story.
    You lucky devil, have a few story's to tell from my time on night work myself.

  2. #972
    Politics.ie Member A REASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    I can't think of any.
    What? Basically, you can't admit that you would absolutely hate to have a stag party rip off your shirt, you'd feel threatened, you'd feel unsafe.

    It's like what some of these mens rights freaks have in their mind, they think some women actually want to be raped, they're asking for it. They say to themselves, if the tables were turned I wouldn't mind a woman raping me. When you give them the far, far, far more likely scenario; that they'd be raped by another man, they change their opinion.

  3. #973
    Politics.ie Member benroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,620
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A REASON View Post
    What? Basically, you can't admit that you would absolutely hate to have a stag party rip off your shirt, you'd feel threatened, you'd feel unsafe.
    Absolutely i'd feel threatened, I would be much more inclined to use force to stop this happening, but having said that I would much rather get the crap kicked out of me than be raped.

    It's like what some of these mens rights freaks have in their mind, they think some women actually want to be raped, they're asking for it. They say to themselves, if the tables were turned I wouldn't mind a woman raping me. When you give them the far, far, far more likely scenario; that they'd be raped by another man, they change their opinion.
    Thats an odd insight, I would have thought rape was more about dominance and humiliation and less about justification.
    A man cannot give birth.

  4. #974
    Politics.ie Member A REASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,450
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    Absolutely i'd feel threatened, I would be much more inclined to use force to stop this happening, but having said that I would much rather get the crap kicked out of me than be raped.



    Thats an odd insight, I would have thought rape was more about dominance and humiliation and less about justification.
    But then you wouldn't press charges of course?

    I was talking about the mens rights freaks, not all of them are rapists themselves. Yet anyway. They mostly are full of cheerleaders for rapists and women haters. They have a view that women really want to be raped deep down. Sickos.

  5. #975
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post

    [...]

    I do agree that there is a questionable angle to some of the motivations of some of the claimants, but like insurance claims, just because some people make false claims does not mean all insurance claims are bogus.
    But it does mean that we investigate claims professionally and dispassionately. We don't begin by believing the claimant. Neither will any barrister who tests the claimants case be subjected to abuse, there won't be street mobs protesting against the verdicts and those who support such cases being heard according using due process will not be targetted for abuse and called fraud apologists.

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    If a man slaps another man in the arse, that's sexual assault too.
    And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?

  6. #976
    Politics.ie Member paulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?
    Do you object to men not being allowed to slap women on the arse?
    There is no Keyser Soze

  7. #977
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by paulp View Post
    Do you object to men not being allowed to slap women on the arse?
    Oh obviously. That's the only possible interpretation that could be put on me asking "And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?"



  8. #978
    Politics.ie Member The OD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Axis Mundi
    Posts
    11,195
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    But it does mean that we investigate claims professionally and dispassionately. We don't begin by believing the claimant. Neither will any barrister who tests the claimants case be subjected to abuse, there won't be street mobs protesting against the verdicts and those who support such cases being heard according using due process will not be targetted for abuse and called fraud apologists.
    Firstly, as I recall, and feel free to display if I am incorrect, it was not the verdict, it was the tactic that was protested.

    As for investigating insurance cases, I am aware of the procedure, but would find it curious if the claimant was asked about an illegal parking ticket or perhaps their choice of steering wheel cover in a case where they had been involved in a collision.


    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?
    As I have said before, yes, it would. It would be hard to convict, but that is due to the Irish legal & police system, not the law itself.

    But in the UK, they take it quite seriously:

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3921781.html
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

  9. #979
    Politics.ie Member paulp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    Oh obviously. That's the only possible interpretation that could be put on me asking "And if a woman slaps a man on the arse, would that be sexual assault too, or would she just be expressing her empowerment against the patriarchy?"


    oh, you're allowed to ask patronizing questions, but I'm not?
    There is no Keyser Soze

  10. #980
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,451
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    Firstly, as I recall, and feel free to display if I am incorrect, it was not the verdict, it was the tactic that was protested.
    The protests are ostensibly about 42 words spoken by the defence barrister. So far as I've been able to discover, the context for those remarks has not been reported anywhere in the media.

    The readiness to protest despite this gap in our knowledge suggests that the ostensible reason is not the true one, at least as far as the organisers of the protests are concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    As for investigating insurance cases, I am aware of the procedure, but would find it curious if the claimant was asked about an illegal parking ticket or perhaps their choice of steering wheel cover in a case where they had been involved in a collision.
    There could very well be contexts in which reference to either of those items would be relevant. If fro instance the accused protested that he'd never so much as had a parking ticket then evidence to the contrary would be significant. Similarly the accident examiner could give evidence that a poorly fitting steering wheel cover impaired the driver's ability to steer properly.

    As I said, such cases would be investigated professionally and dispassionately.

    Quote Originally Posted by The OD View Post
    As I have said before, yes, it would. It would be hard to convict, but that is due to the Irish legal & police system, not the law itself.

    But in the UK, they take it quite seriously:

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...-a3921781.html
    "She was taken to a central London police station, where she was issued a dispersal order requiring her to leave the Carnival footprint."

    Does anyone really believe that had a man slapped the arse of a female inspector the outcome would have been so light for him?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •