Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 103 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The #MeToo movement - justice or witchhunt?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default The #MeToo movement - justice or witchhunt?

The #MeToo movement is experiencing something of a backlash from some prominent older women. Margaret Atwood, author of "The Handmaids Tale", is being called a "bad feminist" for signing a petition with scores of other writers calling for University of British Columbia to release records of an investigation into a fired professor, amid fears the allegations against him were false.

This comes after Catherine DeNeuve argued men should be allowed to "hit on" women. About an hour ago she clarified her comments, expressing fears of a purging of the arts based on contemporary values, such as Leonardo da Vinci and Gaugin. She also pointed out that in 1972 she signed a petition in defense of abortion rights. She says (same link) " I donít like this characteristic of our times whereby everyone feels they have the right to judge, to arbitrate, to condemn".

So is #MeToo a necessary process of accountability for abusive men, or a witchhunt or somewhere in between?

Should social media censor tweets judged as making unproven allegations of sexual harrassment? Or would that injure freedom of speech and allow the guilty to hide behind lawyers?
    Fair and Balanced

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Liam Neeson hit the right tone the other night, it's a witchhunt. I have no doubt that some women were harrassed and worse but we are living in a society now where the narrative is being directed by fundamental feminists and man haters.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I also believe money is a big factor in a lot of this. I mean women crying in front of the media saying "X,Y,Z touched my shoulder in 1974 and it has ruined my life" is just ridiculous. There are also the legal coffin chasers who see dollar signs too. The worst part is that is it undermining legitimate sexual accusations and crimes.

I for one am looking forward to pages upon pages of men telling us whether women are taking accusations of sexism, harassment, rape and sexual assault too seriously.

PS - The reason we have the phrase "witch hunt" is not because the number of witches putting curses on innocent New Englanders was exaggerated. It's because there's no such thing as a witch. Unless you think rapists are figment of women's imagination (this being p.ie, I wouldn't put it past some of you) maybe see whether you can choose a more apt metaphor to describe what you think is going on.
    Repeal the 27th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FOURGREENFIELDS View Post
    Liam Neeson hit the right tone the other night, it's a witchhunt. I have no doubt that some women were harrassed and worse but we are living in a society now where the narrative is being directed by fundamental feminists and man haters.

That's the problem when an idea gets hijacked.
    The idea becomes a 'cause'.
    And that creates a bandwagon every vacuous celeb is too afraid not to jump on, lest they get accused of being a woman-hater.

I see Kirk Douglas made a special appearance at the Golden Globes the other day.

https://www.theblaze.com/video/watch...obes-honor-him

I also believe money is a big factor in a lot of this. I mean women crying in front of the media saying "X,Y,Z touched my shoulder in 1974 and it has ruined my life" is just ridiculous. There are also the legal coffin chasers who see dollar signs too. The worst part is that is it undermining legitimate sexual accusations and crimes.
    But accusing women who speak out about their abuse of being motivated by money doesn't?
    Repeal the 27th.

we are living in a society now where the narrative is being directed by fundamental feminists and man haters.
    have you been watching the BBC ?
    How about gender-balance in immigration into ireland ? Is it currently 40 blokes arriving for every 1 woman arriving on these shores ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    I for one am looking forward to pages upon pages of men telling us whether women are taking accusations of sexism, harassment, rape and sexual assault too seriously.

PS - The reason we have the phrase "witch hunt" is not because the number of witches putting curses on innocent New Englanders was exaggerated. It's because there's no such thing as a witch. Unless you think rapists are figment of women's imagination (this being p.ie, I wouldn't put it past some of you) maybe see whether you can choose a more apt metaphor to describe what you think is going on.
    Witch hunt in the same way we've seen liberals swarm over other issues. It's muddying the waters between crime and poor behaviour, giving "victims" of inappropriate remarks or poor dating attempts a feeling of entitlement on par with victims of brutal rapes and sexual assaults. It is doing no service for relations between men and women.

Thanks to Mercurial for phrasing it far better than I ever could: women are taking accusations of sexism, harassment, rape and sexual assault too seriously. My view is that if they believe they have been victims of a harassment, rape or sexual assault they can go through the legal channels.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Unless you believe there hasn’t been any cases of assault/rape etc in the industry at all then it couldn’t be defined as a witchunt. So you either don’t understand the definition of the word, or you’re introducing an scenario you know to be false (given the admission of assaults that have already taken place) for some weird reason.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

given that we have had to put up with decades now of stomach churning lecturing coming out of Hollywood I think its great as nobody will come out looking good.
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Page 1 of 103 123451151101 ... LastLast