Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 209 of 263 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2622

Thread: Brexit the DUP and the Irish border

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by death or glory View Post
    And post Brexit, you close the airspace and yet you expect the RAF to enforce it?
    I was being sarcastic (I added a smilie). If there is no deal, then Ireland probably does need to look into defending its own airspace.

Having said that, commercial traffic isn't going to breech Irish airspace even if there is no defense, since they risk legal problems and a lack of air traffic controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall996 View Post
    Buy a map ffs
    I did a quick check.

You can check the distances by right clicking on Shannon and then selecting measure distance. You then click the SW of UK marker and then click on the marker at Paris. It works out the total distance.

Shannon to SW of UK and then over to Paris is 1,131.44 km.

Shannon to Paris direct is 905.72 km.

It is longer to have to bypass UK but not that much longer (+25%).

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by death or glory View Post
    And who would enforce the no-fly zone over Eire?
    Are you seriously suggesting that the airlines would break international law? What sort of tomfoolery is this? Not that it will ever arise anyway, because whatever the outcome of Brexshi t I think it is safe to say that short term contingency arrangements will be produced in good time to keep planes flying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ivnryn View Post
    I was being sarcastic (I added a smilie). If there is no deal, then Ireland probably does need to look into defending its own airspace.

Having said that, commercial traffic isn't going to breech Irish airspace even if there is no defense, since they risk legal problems and a lack of air traffic controls.

I did a quick check.

You can check the distances by right clicking on Shannon and then selecting measure distance. You then click the SW of UK marker and then click on the marker at Paris. It works out the total distance.

Shannon to SW of UK and then over to Paris is 1,131.44 km.

Shannon to Paris direct is 905.72 km.

It is longer to have to bypass UK but not that much longer (+25%).
    Yeah, i’ve seen it. Less than half an hour extra in general. Which the loyalists on here think is an existential threat to Ireland forgetting that they won’t be able to land anywhere in Europe at all - even if it was five minutes away - and would have to loop up to the Artic circle or down to the Sahara desert to get to Turkey or anywhere east under the DUP deal. They are so hilariously thick.
    Bringing reconciliation, mutual respect and cross community understanding to Northern Ireland through facts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, i’ve seen it. Less than half an hour extra in general. Which the loyalists on here think is an existential threat to Ireland forgetting that they won’t be able to land anywhere in Europe at all - even if it was five minutes away - and would have to loop up to the Artic circle or down to the Sahara desert to get to Turkey or anywhere east under the DUP deal. They are so hilariously thick.

It’s incredible just how thick though ... un-feckin-real

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Another report out today saying Brexit would harm the occupied 6 counties of Ireland, but the reunification of Ireland would be a boost for the whole country - this time the report is from Dr Kurt Hubner, the famous German economist.

United Ireland ‘only winning scenario’ after Brexit – report claims but unionist sceptical saying it would be economically detrimental - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Jokes on you.
    They will go around the other way!
    Except flat earthers. They will go diagonally
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member Oliver Cromwell McIvor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by raetsel View Post
    Who's splitting hairs? The Normans who settled in Ireland came from Wales and are therefore known as Cambro Normans
    Fair enough old boy.
    "“Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. Islam in a man is like rabies in a Dog."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Talk Back View Post
    Another report out today saying Brexit would harm the occupied 6 counties of Ireland, but the reunification of Ireland would be a boost for the whole country - this time the report is from Dr Kurt Hubner, the famous German economist.

United Ireland ‘only winning scenario’ after Brexit – report claims but unionist sceptical saying it would be economically detrimental - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
    It makes perfect sense and is a win win for all involved .

Politics.ie Member between the bridges's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    It makes perfect sense and is a win win for all involved .
    Lmfao, has the knights of the red banners ahem 'report' been launched yet again? whats that now four times?...

When is “an independent study” on Irish unification not independent?
    Pete Baker on November 21, 2015,

When it has been commissioned, under cover, by Friends of Sinn Féin USA, perhaps…

When is Toole

March 26, 2016,

In the Irish News, Newton Emerson has fun with the recent Sinn Féin re-launch [and re-re-launch! – Ed] of the report they commissioned, under cover of the “Knights of the Red Branch Inc”, of the benefits of an economically right-wing united Ireland.

Toole
    Nec Aspera Terrent..Is Tuaisceart-Éireannach mé. Má tá meas agat ar mo chultúr, beidh meas agam ar do chultúr.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by between the bridges View Post
    Lmfao, has the knights of the red banners ahem 'report' been launched yet again? whats that now four times?...

When is “an independent study” on Irish unification not independent?
    Pete Baker on November 21, 2015,

When it has been commissioned, under cover, by Friends of Sinn Féin USA, perhaps…

When is Toole

March 26, 2016,

In the Irish News, Newton Emerson has fun with the recent Sinn Féin re-launch [and re-re-launch! – Ed] of the report they commissioned, under cover of the “Knights of the Red Branch Inc”, of the benefits of an economically right-wing united Ireland.

Toole
    i think your of course correct if unionism cannot make northern Ireland work then no one else could. Look at the great way the DUP manage their position of power.