Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist, apartheid Israel?

Default Racist, apartheid Israel?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44881554

Israel's parliament has passed into law a controversial bill that defines the country as an exclusively Jewish state.

The "Jewish nation state" bill downgrades Arabic as an official language and says advancing Jewish settlement is a national interest.

It also states that the "whole and united" Jerusalem is its capital.

Israeli Arab MPs condemned the legislation but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised it as a "defining moment".

Thoughts?
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoutingIsLeadership View Post

Israel's parliament has passed into law a controversial bill that defines the country as an exclusively Jewish state.

The "Jewish nation state" bill downgrades Arabic as an official language and says advancing Jewish settlement is a national interest.

Israeli Arab MPs condemned the legislation but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised it as a "defining moment".

Thoughts?
    Scumbags
    Somebody grab the script!

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This thread is going to go really well...

I can feel it in my bones...

Politics.ie Member Spanner Island's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thoughts?
    The world is going down the sh!tter with an age of hate evolving which is promoted on these pages and elsewhere ad nauseum.

Having a reckless fool in the White House surrounded by enablers who views everything through a narrow prism of money and transaction isn't a help either.

Look at Brexit as an example. Trump simply views it in terms of economics and transaction. None of the rest of the much more important issues is of any interest to him.

So he'll encourage the UK to gamble and play hard ball and quit and there are enough people in the UK who seem willing to follow...

The consequences are of no interest to him... just as long as America can bully its way around the world in the aftermath...

Pootin and Trump have a lot in common - divide and conquer while slagging off the UN, NATO, WTO etc.

And Israel is only emboldened by this new environment.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thoughts?
    Heard it this morning, Netanyahu is out of control. I'm sure many of the usual suspects will be along to condemn it the way they do Saudi Arabia etc, just to be consistent like!
    Politics.ie - from 'Ireland's leading politics and current affairs website' to predominantly an echo chamber of bigots, islamophobes and racists....

I'd like to see a defence of this law, as I just can't see one. If a law like this had been passed in 1930s Germany...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thoughts?
    Israel have been no angels when it comes to their treatment of Palestinians, there's no point denying that. There's also no value in having a debate in the issue without recognising the turbulent history of both sides, the Palestinians are no angels either, and seem to have been, for a long time and possibly still, both willing and unwilling pawns in a much greater issue between other Arab states and Israel.

There has been deplorable action on both sides. Israel has always been heavy handed, and given their position in the Middle East that has, regrettably, been justified... to my mind at least.

Settlements are something I've never been happy about, but this goes way beyond what is even mildly uncomfortable to completely unacceptable. It's not something any fair minded person who is in any way sympathetic to the unique situation Israel is in could defend or justify.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
    Israel have been no angels when it comes to their treatment of Palestinians, there's no point denying that. There's also no value in having a debate in the issue without recognising the turbulent history of both sides, the Palestinians are no angels either, and seem to have been, for a long time and possibly still, both willing and unwilling pawns in a much greater issue between other Arab states and Israel.

There has been deplorable action on both sides. Israel has always been heavy handed, and given their position in the Middle East that has, regrettably, been justified... to my mind at least.

Settlements are something I've never been happy about, but this goes way beyond what is even mildly uncomfortable to completely unacceptable. It's not something any fair minded person who is in any way sympathetic to the unique situation Israel is in could defend or justify.
    I disagree with your point about justification, but a very reasonable post.

If anything, Israel should realise just how much ammunition this gives its opponents.

Probably doesn't care, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The equivalent of this would be if Ireland declared that only Gaelic Catholics have the right of self-determination in Ireland.
    Click an ad a day on politics.ie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I disagree with your point about justification, but a very reasonable post.

If anything, Israel should realise just how much ammunition this gives its opponents.

Probably doesn't care, though.
    They don't care....they have made that very clear with its insatiable appetite for land and power, and also when it has just enshrined an Apartheid bill that officially defines israel as the national homeland of solely the jewish people.
    "You think thats bad,theres one lunatic that posts on there 40-50 times a day..He's alone..in bad company!

Page 1 of 76 123451151 ... LastLast