Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    The EU Commission is likely to have a supervisory role, to ensure that the relevant rules are adopted and enforced.

Much of the work of enforcement is done through state agencies, trading standards, local authorities, local or national food safety bodies etc, and presumably they can continue with their work in the absence of a devolved government in Northern Ireland.

The adoption and amendment of regulations through legislation will have to be done at Westminster unless the Assembly gets up and running again.

Most EU regulations can be given legal effect in the member states through Statutory Instruments or their equivalents, although some Directives will need primary legislation, acts of parliament, to be given legal effect.

This would require, in effect, direct rule from Westminster, as not only will the necessary legislation have to be passed there, but the budgets for state bodies required to enfoce the EU regulations would have to be decided by Westminster.

If you're the type of unionist that would prefer direct rule from Westminster, the backstop without any Assembly to legislate for it, is ideal.
    I feel stormont will never have an assembly sit again. And if it does it will be with a non unionist majority.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sondagefaux View Post
    The EU Commission is likely to have a supervisory role, to ensure that the relevant rules are adopted and enforced.

Much of the work of enforcement is done through state agencies, trading standards, local authorities, local or national food safety bodies etc, and presumably they can continue with their work in the absence of a devolved government in Northern Ireland.

The adoption and amendment of regulations through legislation will have to be done at Westminster unless the Assembly gets up and running again.

Most EU regulations can be given legal effect in the member states through Statutory Instruments or their equivalents, although some Directives will need primary legislation, acts of parliament, to be given legal effect.

This would require, in effect, direct rule from Westminster, as not only will the necessary legislation have to be passed there, but the budgets for state bodies required to enfoce the EU regulations would have to be decided by Westminster.

If you're the type of unionist that would prefer direct rule from Westminster, the backstop without any Assembly to legislate for it, is ideal.
    Good point on the direct rule from Westminster. It almost invites long term British paralysis. I doubt Scottish and Welsh MPs will help to bring in legislation to make NI better equipped to deal with brexit than their own countries.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    I feel stormont will never have an assembly sit again. And if it does it will be with a non unionist majority.
    No Stormont will never come back if Brexit goes ahead. SF have nothing to gain from it and everything to gain from standing up for the nationalist majority.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by derryman View Post
    I agree and suspect that SF and the Irish Government are planning tentatively on that basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tory Brexiters planning to reject deal even with backstop exit clause | Politics | The Guardian

Even with a backstop exit clause of some sort the brexiteers are threatening to jump.

“In the end, it’s not really about the backstop, the tearing frustration is that the UK has been negotiating with itself” (Steve Baker).

Two years.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by publicrealm View Post
    Tory Brexiters planning to reject deal even with backstop exit clause | Politics | The Guardian

Even with a backstop exit clause of some sort the brexiteers are threatening to jump.

“In the end, it’s not really about the backstop, the tearing frustration is that the UK has been negotiating with itself” (Steve Baker).

Two years.
    At what point does the EU stop entertaining these hicks?

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Jaysus, some of the leo hate from our own is pretty wacky. I'm surprised he isn't being blamed for the rain.
    Mick McCarthy didnt call it Twatter in the early days without good reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruserious View Post
    At what point does the EU stop entertaining these hicks?
    All the way to the end.
    They want the EU to walk away. It would suit their narrative.
    Let's not do that
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How do i use the ignore function.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Notelling View Post
    How do i use the ignore function.
    3 posts in and you already know there's an ignore function, let alone asking to use. Lol. Who were you previously?