Follow @PoliticsIE

Thread: BREXIT: the general forum (Second Thread)

Politics.ie Member lastofthebohemians's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mays position at the moment, makes between a rock and a hard place, look like the most comfortable sofa you have ever sat on in your life.
    I will not look at Katie Hannons legs if she dances..

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    The mood seems to be moving towards May is on the verge of resignation. I wonder is that why she summoned an emergency meeting of the Privy Council today?

She would have to tell them in advance of her intention to step down either before the Bill or consequent on a defeat of the Bill. There are no surprises allowed there under constitutional convention, though the Councillors are supposed to keep the prior notification "privy".
    You'd kind of understand it. She's done her little best, such as it is, for a 'cause' she never really believed in. And nobody is pleased at the outcome, so let the bastards have it. Let Arlene take her chances with Corbyn and Corbyn take his with the 27. And good luck to the pair of them with that. Meanwhile, Nigel and Jacob can battle it out for the honour of leading the Tories into their 40 years in the desert.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Eagle of the Ninth View Post
    The b'staads won't of course. They are all cross party members by law, and will just kind of wink, or look mournful, or do a little dance if one of their MPs asks them - "Is she for the chop?"
    I was thinking of the other meaning, and how it would describe very aptly where TM is, right now...
    Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises, cum ridere voles Epicuri de grege porcum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8K0bPc-BE For when just isn't enough.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So if Madam May does say "I'm out of this, I can't do anything with this lot" then that will be the FOURTH Tory PM in a row destroyed by Europe.

And still they never learned.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tribal View Post
    Who says we'll be keeping them in the pampered lifestyle that the UK provided for them?

If they get special treatment it will cause ructions everywhere else in the country, it will make Orange Men out the Healy Raes if they thought it would get them more pie.
    To clarify - the point they have is that they made a complete sh1thole of the place.
    A UI could make the place a profitable enterprise - and quickly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Se0samh View Post
    That's unworthy of you stats, remember Labour has been in opposition for more than 8 years...who could have forecast Cameron's madness back then...
    I don't consider it unworthy at all. They have signally and comprehensively failed to understand the role of opposition in a time of national crisis.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Foreign, for my mental as well as material well-being
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Se0samh View Post
    7 or 8 out of 10, is the score he gave them, so certainly not unenthusiastic....

As for being slippery...he's playing the long game...
    "Seven, or seven and a half.” is what he said. During the bleeding campaign.

Either he wasn't that interested, or he thought the campaign would win without him.

Either way, he wasn't that keen, and would have looked silly if he had pretended to look keen, because his record of euroskepticism was long and deep, even back then.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hogsback View Post
    To clarify - the point they have is that they made a complete sh1thole of the place.
    A UI could make the place a profitable enterprise - and quickly.
    I agree. Although I doubt the average Loyalist will embrace that opportunity to prosper, many will probably demand relocation to mother Britain. Good luck to them, wouldn't want to keep anyone who doesn't want to stay.
    Our advantage is that we know them so well we can draw them from memory; meanwhile we’ve been beneath their notice for so long they have no clue what they’re dealing with.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Toland View Post
    "Seven, or seven and a half.” is what he said. During the bleeding campaign.

Either he wasn't that interested, or he thought the campaign would win without him.

Either way, he wasn't that keen, and would have looked silly if he had pretended to look keen, because his record of euroskepticism was long and deep, even back then.
    Bull, anything above 5 is positive, anything above 7 is more than just positive...oh, and as 7 and a 1/2 falls exactly between 7 and 8, my statement was accurate, so less of the mean mouthing...
    Me pinguem et nitidum bene curata cute vises, cum ridere voles Epicuri de grege porcum.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH8K0bPc-BE For when just isn't enough.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Meanwhile, in undemocratic Europe, today Barnier was reassuring the Committee of the Regions on their concerns, particularly the protections offered to EU citizens in the UK under the WA. He also issued a warning that the deal on offer is the best and only deal, this probably in response to May's idea to let MPs vote on the backstop.