Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 504 of 535 FirstFirst ... 4404454494500501502503504505506507508514 ... LastLast
Results 5,031 to 5,040 of 5346

Thread: Repeal the 8th (Second Thread)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Myers View Post
    I know - I referred to it but I suppose it is at the heart of the pro-choice doublethink that the violence of abortion doesn't count.
    No, think Thomas Street

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petaljam View Post
    No. I'm aware that claim was made alright, but given the lies told by prolifers I have no idea whether it was actually true or not.

Prolife, otoh, have an actual record of actual violence, and not just in the USA, in Ireland too.

Except that given the violence of the language used by the poster I was replying to, and the apparent readiness to indulge in violence firm prolife generally, it seems odd to assume that none of them support violence. We know that some of them do.

Do what? I've genuinely no idea what point you're making.
    "No. I'm aware that claim was made alright, but given the lies told by prolifers I have no idea whether it was actually true or not."

So you believe media reports regarding accusations against prolife but dismiss media reports regarding accusations against pro-choice.

Second Dublin hotel cancels pro-life meeting after alleged death threats against staff

Anti-abortion group left fuming after hotel cancels their booking over - Independent.ie

Anti-abortion and pro-choice groups claim venues cancelling events

"...and the apparent readiness to indulge in violence firm prolife generally.." Another outrageous slur (edit: Now edited to read "significant elements of prolife" - still an outrageous slur!)

"it seems odd to assume that none of them support violence. We know that some of them do."

There are a small number of nutters in every group - it's a cheap shot to suggest anyone with those views could well be a supporter of violence.

"Do what? I've genuinely no idea what point you're making"

Take cheapshots.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And nobody condones that on the pro women side.

However actual and real violence comes from the Anti side. I havent seen one anti poster on here distance themselves from YD.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Buchaill Dana View Post
    And nobody condones that on the pro women side.

However actual and real violence comes from the Anti side. I havent seen one anti poster on here distance themselves from YD.
    I don't condone violence from any side. In any event this debate is over. We are going down the road you want. What annoys me is the insufferable tone of "You lost - get over it". Some people won't be able to get over what is now legal in this state. They should be respected for having an honest opinion even if you disagree with it. Without such respect for minorities democracy is undermined. They are told get over it but would the choice side have gone away if they lost. Two chances of that!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

"No. I'm aware that claim was made alright, but given the lies told by prolifers I have no idea whether it was actually true or not."

So you believe media reports regarding accusations against prolife but dismiss media reports regarding accusations against pro-choice.

Second Dublin hotel cancels pro-life meeting after alleged death threats against staff

Anti-abortion group left fuming after hotel cancels their booking over - Independent.ie

Anti-abortion and pro-choice groups claim venues cancelling events
    And yet none of the prolife groups bothered making a complaint to the Gardaí. Why not?
    The links mention "alleged" threats - perhaps the allegers are afraid of being caught out?

"...and the apparent readiness to indulge in violence firm prolife generally.." Another outrageous slur (edit: Now edited to read "significant elements of prolife" - still an outrageous slur!)
    I edited it because when I read back I saw that it was an unfair generalisation. Seems you're complaining about that too?

I absolutely do condemn violence from either side. I just genuinely have not seen any from prochoicers, only a few allegations which don't seem to have warranted police reports being made.

The fact is though, that while most prolife groups are not violent, there has been a long history of physical violence from prolife groups like Youth Defence in Ireland, and of all sorts of fake allegations made by them, such as the fake attacks on their offices in the wake of the Savita Halappanavar case.
    There have also been multiple attempts at deception by prolifers during the campaign, from Nurse Noel to the fake prochoice marchers with deliberately provocative slogans photographed returning to YD's HQ after the march.

So anything they claim without evidence is suspect. Because of their proven record of lying.

"it seems odd to assume that none of them support violence. We know that some of them do."

There are a small number of nutters in every group - it's a cheap shot to suggest anyone with those views could well be a supporter of violence.
    But I was responding to a specific poster, not to you, and that poster does use very violent language about pro choice, and threats of war etc.
    It's interesting that you're up in arms as though you yourself have been accused of violence, when I did not do that, and yet you have never made any complaint about the sort of violent language used by those posters.

"Do what? I've genuinely no idea what point you're making"

Take cheapshots.
    Except given the real record of violence from prolifers, those are not cheap shots.
    KOBO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crossman View Post
    I don't condone violence from any side. In any event this debate is over. We are going down the road you want. What annoys me is the insufferable tone of "You lost - get over it". Some people won't be able to get over what is now legal in this state. They should be respected for having an honest opinion even if you disagree with it. Without such respect for minorities democracy is undermined. They are told get over it but would the choice side have gone away if they lost. Two chances of that!
    Finally a pro lifer says something sensible. Only took 6 months. Well done, sir.

Many pro lifers I'm afraid are unworthy of respect, thinking of a few obnoxious TDs in particular as well as the drones on here.
    Euro launched 2002. Eastern bloc joins 2004. What could possibly go wrong?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Talbot View Post
    Finally a pro lifer says something sensible. Only took 6 months. Well done, sir.

Many pro lifers I'm afraid are unworthy of respect, thinking of a few obnoxious TDs in particular as well as the drones on here.
    I think I have made sensible posts for the past six months. I'm afraid the lack of respect for opponents means so called liberals are anything but.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I think I have made sensible posts for the past six months. I'm afraid the lack of respect for opponents means so called liberals are anything but.
    Perhaps you have, but that doesn't excuse the hysterics of the pro life horde. Respect is earned my friend.
    Euro launched 2002. Eastern bloc joins 2004. What could possibly go wrong?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Like just the other day when you repeatedly accused Simon Harris of having said something he never said?
    Or suggested that Peter Boylan might regret that there weren't more abortions? That sort of sensible post?

(Or indeed your sweeping generalisation in the post quoted above)
    KOBO

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Talbot View Post
    Perhaps you have, but that doesn't excuse the hysterics of the pro life horde. Respect is earned my friend.
    Well the triumphalism of the pro choice brigade does nothing to earn my respect. The celebration of the victory in the referendum was sickening.

Every abortion is a tragedy - for the woman, the man if he is around and especially of course for the child. To see that celebrated with wild cheering was not good.