Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 117 of 126 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119120121 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1255

Thread: The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clearmurk View Post
    Of course you can. We do it all the time.

You want us to be sycophantic, deferential, obsequious, poodles. No thanks.
    This is not difficult, everybody has to reduce their carbon footprin, every company has to reduce their carbon footprint and every country has to reduce their carbon footprint accordind to EU rules and the Paris accord because:

Worlds Oceans Are Warming Faster, Studies Show, Fueling Storms and Sea Rise | InsideClimate News

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gandyalf View Post
    This is not difficult, everybody has to reduce their carbon footprin, every company has to reduce their carbon footprint and every country has to reduce their carbon footprint accordind to EU rules and the Paris accord because:

Worlds Oceans Are Warming Faster, Studies Show, Fueling Storms and Sea Rise | InsideClimate News
    Some further reading:

Global Warming Solutions: Reduce Emissions | Union of Concerned Scientists

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I don't have a problem with the development of new ideas, new products or the preservation of essential industries from the short term ravages of market forces. I don't have a problem with government warning and acting on dangers which may lie ahead. In my lifetime the government had a huge programme to help citizens cope with nuclear fallout. In most of these cases the cost was low and even where they are higher (such as farm subsidies) the money quickly found its way down to useful employment and purposes. Farmers pay sales tax (VAT) on their supplies.

Tax on fuel was based on the fact that fuel was an inelastic good for which there was no alternative. High fuel usage indicated a high performing economy. Nowadays, taxes on fuel is based on the assumption that either there are alternatives or the good is elastic or both. How can a good like fuel be inelastic in 1989 and elastic in 2019 when there are no alternatives to it? How can an economy perform when there is no fuel to power it? The answer is that the purpose of the carbon tax is to collect money for government to spend. In Ireland the media and voters keep a close eye of each political parties spending proposals and is suspicious of spending plans without tax plans. Climate change is an ideal way around this. Dress it up as saving the planet and off they go. In fact the Irish government has promised to use the carbon tax to increase children's allowance, a clear appeal to the women's vote. It is just possible that after years of hype, failed wind farms and other green extravagance, that voters wake up to the fact that they will be poor. The Yellow Vest protests in France and the rise of popular politics in the USA and Europe may be (just my be) evidence of that happening.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Who made the EU rules, was there public consultation? If the EU represented the wishes of the people, in member states, why is Britain going, why is there resistance in Italy and Hungry?

The Paris Accord allows India and China to pump co2 away as long as they like.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The credibility gap between predicted and observed global warming

We made our bed.......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    Who made the EU rules, was there public consultation? If the EU represented the wishes of the people, in member states, why is Britain going, why is there resistance in Italy and Hungry?

The Paris Accord allows India and China to pump co2 away as long as they like.
    Asking the wrong questions as usual.
    Every person, every company and every country must do whatever they can to fix this:

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lord Christopher Bonkton???
    Is he still writing bilge on the WUWT???
    I thought he was still missing:

Dear Chris. Potholers Open Letter to Lord Bonckton | Climate Denial Crock of the Week

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mangaire1 View Post
    ok, but that doesn't answer the question I posed to ol clearmurk, in response to a comment of his,
    & the question was -

so what population would a country/state/province need to have, before it's citizens are required to play their part in reducing their emissions ?

have another go at it, if you wish.

re your comment -

you talk about a "fair system" to deal with the "global problem" of anthropogenic Global Warming,
    but you don't explain the basis of your proposed "fair system".
    I agree with you that there should be a fair system,
    & my idea of a fair system is one based on 'emissions per capita'.
    the idea of a system on 'emissions per state/country/region ..' (irrespective of population) as ol clearmurk seems to be proposing is IMO ridiculous,
    & could in no way be considered a "fair system".
    What is this fixation with population?

I have put forward a fairly simple concept to you, that you are determined to ignore. If you want to fix a problem, you go after the biggest source of that problem first, as that will provide you with the biggest impact.

I don't know why you won't understand that the emissions produced in Ireland are irrelevant on a global scale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Lord Christopher Bonkton???
    Is he still writing bilge on the WUWT???
    I thought he was still missing:

Dear Chris. Potholers Open Letter to Lord Bonckton | Climate Denial Crock of the Week

"Did somebody call for me?"

Monckton was once the Tinpot Pope of Denial, but he just got too ridiculous and fell out of the clown car.
    "A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"When climate deniers seek answers to the big questions, they turn to the smartest man in the whole world ... "

"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence" - David Hume