Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125
Results 1,241 to 1,249 of 1249

Thread: The Climate Change Debate Thread (Second Thread)

  1. #1241
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangaire1 View Post
    wrong again Val.
    I've posted little on wind generation, & the little I have posted were general remarks of the kind that you have just responded to,
    & there's a good reason for that.
    although I have a good practical knowledge of mechanics/electrics, energy ……. I have no practical knowledge of wind farm operations,
    & unlike you Val, I try & restrict my comments here on P.ie to topics that I have at least some basic knowledge of.
    perhaps, you might try to follow my example ?

    re - " a link to polar weather stations publishing hourly temperature records"
    sorry, can't help you there, Val.
    1) On a metal cutting lathe, with an imperial lead lead-screw,what is the gear ratio on the change wheels to provide for the cutting of metric threads? The lead screw moves the saddle with a single point V cutter. One compound gear wheel with two cog wheels on it converts all imperial thread options to metric options.

    An answer might be 78 to 94 or 185 to 210 etc.

    2) A poly-phase electrical AC alternator is usually 3 phase, how many phases could it have if built from scratch?

  2. #1242
    Politics.ie Member mangaire1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Co an Chláir
    Posts
    9,361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    1) On a metal cutting lathe, with an imperial lead lead-screw,what is the gear ratio on the change wheels to provide for the cutting of metric threads? The lead screw moves the saddle with a single point V cutter. One compound gear wheel with two cog wheels on it converts all imperial thread options to metric options.

    An answer might be 78 to 94 or 185 to 210 etc.

    2) A poly-phase electrical AC alternator is usually 3 phase, how many phases could it have if built from scratch?
    Val, you claimed that I posted a lot on 'wind farms', & that was untrue.
    you have neither the grace to admit that you were mistaken, or back up your claim.
    that's your form here on P.ie.

    now you're back to your childish Question Time.
    as has been the case in the past your questions here expose your ignorance & lack of any practical experience in the trades that your questions relate to.

    Question 1.
    "imperial screw" you say.
    you know don't you Val that there are several varieties of "imperial screws" - Whitworth, BSF, BSW, UNC, UNF ………
    & the different screw types have different pitches & different profiles.
    & BTW your "V cutter" would not be suitable at all for cutting most "imperial" screw threads.
    I expect that you knew all that - just forgot to include it in your Question ?? LOL !!!!!!!

    & you ask - "gear ratio on the change wheels ?"
    & to make it easy for me you suggest - "An answer might be 78 to 94 or 185 to 210 etc".

    you know what a "ratio" is Val ?
    of course you do - 2/1 is a ratio, 6/4 is a ratio.
    BUT ……..ahem ………. 78 isn't a ratio Val - neither is 185.
    LOL !!!!!!

    Question 2.
    "A poly-phase electrical AC alternator is usually 3 phase, how many phases could it have if built from scratch?"
    I've been around quite a while Val, & I doubt if I ever heard an electrician or an engineer use the term "poly-phase" in relation to a motor or generator.
    single phase, or three phase - yes.
    I've come across hundreds if not thousands of AC motors in my time, & all of them were either single phase or three phase.
    I do believe six phase & possibly nine phase motors/generators may exist, but I have never come across one.

    as for your "how many phases could it have if built from scratch?"
    that is meaningless - total raiméis.

    sorry Val, but in attempting to be smart, you have exposed yourself as a total amadán yet again.

  3. #1243
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandyalf View Post
    Yeah but, the hottest December on record:

    Extreme heatwave: all-time temperature records fall across parts of Australia | Australia news | The Guardian


    "Australia’s overall mean temperature for December was the highest on record, 2.13C above the 1961–1990 average and more than 0.3C warmer than the previous record from 1972,” the Bom said."
    Some further reading:

    Hot as Hell in Oz | Open Mind

    "Yes, heat waves in Australia are getting hotter, happening more often, and lasting longer. Yes, the toll in human life and health dwarfs the economic losses, a huge as those might be."

    .

  4. #1244
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mangaire1 View Post
    Val, you claimed that I posted a lot on 'wind farms', & that was untrue.
    you have neither the grace to admit that you were mistaken, or back up your claim.
    that's your form here on P.ie.

    now you're back to your childish Question Time.
    as has been the case in the past your questions here expose your ignorance & lack of any practical experience in the trades that your questions relate to.

    Question 1.
    "imperial screw" you say.
    you know don't you Val that there are several varieties of "imperial screws" - Whitworth, BSF, BSW, UNC, UNF ………
    & the different screw types have different pitches & different profiles.
    & BTW your "V cutter" would not be suitable at all for cutting most "imperial" screw threads.
    I expect that you knew all that - just forgot to include it in your Question ?? LOL !!!!!!!

    & you ask - "gear ratio on the change wheels ?"
    & to make it easy for me you suggest - "An answer might be 78 to 94 or 185 to 210 etc".

    you know what a "ratio" is Val ?
    of course you do - 2/1 is a ratio, 6/4 is a ratio.
    BUT ……..ahem ………. 78 isn't a ratio Val - neither is 185.
    LOL !!!!!!

    Question 2.
    "A poly-phase electrical AC alternator is usually 3 phase, how many phases could it have if built from scratch?"
    I've been around quite a while Val, & I doubt if I ever heard an electrician or an engineer use the term "poly-phase" in relation to a motor or generator.
    single phase, or three phase - yes.
    I've come across hundreds if not thousands of AC motors in my time, & all of them were either single phase or three phase.
    I do believe six phase & possibly nine phase motors/generators may exist, but I have never come across one.

    as for your "how many phases could it have if built from scratch?"
    that is meaningless - total raiméis.

    sorry Val, but in attempting to be smart, you have exposed yourself as a total amadán yet again.
    You are wrong on the two. An imperial lead screw is always in teeth per inch, (TPI) the angle and configuration of the thread does not change the pitch. The pitch can be any even number such as 4, 6. 8, 10 or 12 TPI. In the vast majority of lathes it is 8 TPI. This serves to cut threads in TPI such as 24, 32, 38 , 40 etc. Not metric threads. The ratio for metric threads is obtained by running the torque through cog wheels. There is an intermediate wheel, with two sets of cogs on the same hub.. I asked you to name the number of cogs on each wheel and you failed. There fore your claim that you understand mechanical matters is false.

    Polyphase is an electrical engineering concept since the end of the 19 century, it is equally relevant to day. there is no excuse for your ignorance. I did not ask you if you know others who never heard of the concept. It is you I asked, not them.

    I don't expect ordinary people to be experts in either matters, but you are ignorant and are bullying me who is not ignorant. I don't like bullies. You are bluffing.

  5. #1245
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    You are wrong on the two. An imperial lead screw is always in teeth per inch, (TPI) the angle and configuration of the thread does not change the pitch. The pitch can be any even number such as 4, 6. 8, 10 or 12 TPI. In the vast majority of lathes it is 8 TPI. This serves to cut threads in TPI such as 24, 32, 38 , 40 etc. Not metric threads. The ratio for metric threads is obtained by running the torque through cog wheels. There is an intermediate wheel, with two sets of cogs on the same hub.. I asked you to name the number of cogs on each wheel and you failed. There fore your claim that you understand mechanical matters is false.

    Polyphase is an electrical engineering concept since the end of the 19 century, it is equally relevant to day. there is no excuse for your ignorance. I did not ask you if you know others who never heard of the concept. It is you I asked, not them.

    I don't expect ordinary people to be experts in either matters, but you are ignorant and are bullying me who is not ignorant. I don't like bullies. You are bluffing.

    "I don't expect ordinary people to be experts in either matters, but you are ignorant and are bullying me who is not ignorant. I don't like bullies. You are bluffing."

    Incredible, altogether incredible. You really have to see this stuff to believe it.

  6. #1246
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandyalf View Post
    "I don't expect ordinary people to be experts in either matters, but you are ignorant and are bullying me who is not ignorant. I don't like bullies. You are bluffing."

    Incredible, altogether incredible. You really have to see this stuff to believe it.

    I don't expect them either, except where they lie about their knowledge about a subject to prevent other legitimate opinions being expressed.

    The answer to question 1 is 127 and 120 teeth on the same shaft/cog wheel based on the fact that an inch = 25.4 mm. 25.4 X 5 = 127

    The answer to the 2nd question is that there can be as many phases on a polyphase alternator as there is space to fit.

    Balling ans roaring is no substitute for formal or informal education

  7. #1247
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    19,530
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandyalf View Post
    It's all peaks and troughs, Turby, but a trend is a trend is a trend:

    Wood for Trees: Interactive Graphs

    From BEST, remember:

    The "BEST" (Berkeley Earth Surface Temperatures) study, under lead scientist (and former skeptic) Richard Muller, was sponsored by institutions that had previously supported the denial of the standard interpretation of the climate data. But when the BEST results came out, they confirmed the previous results that the Earth is warming.[13]

    Watts had initially declared (about BEST) that "I’m prepared to accept whatever result they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong."[14] But when the results came out he changed his position and his site published numerous attacks[15] against Muller and the BEST study.

    Copied from wikipedia.
    This thread is fast becoming a copy and paste competition.

    Saltbush Club: Smash the Paris Climate Shackles! | The Wentworth Report

  8. #1248
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gandyalf View Post
    Some further reading:

    Hot as Hell in Oz | Open Mind

    "Yes, heat waves in Australia are getting hotter, happening more often, and lasting longer. Yes, the toll in human life and health dwarfs the economic losses, a huge as those might be."

    .
    Some further reading:

    "The science about heat waves in Australia is clear: hotter, longer, more. It’s not a “close call.” Australia is already one of the most vulnerable countries to heat waves; the trends bode ill for Aussies"


    The Oz Heat Distribution | Open Mind

    .

  9. #1249
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,339
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by valamhic View Post
    This thread is fast becoming a copy and paste competition.

    Saltbush Club: Smash the Paris Climate Shackles! | The Wentworth Report
    Copy and paste? Yeah, I find it so much easier.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •