Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EU passes article 13: Death of the Internet as we know it?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian Boy View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-l...right-law.html
    Today the EU Parliament voted in favour of a controversial reform of digital copyright laws, with potentially disastrous consequences for Internet freedom. Under Article 13 of this new law, tech giants will be forced to install
    filters that prevent copyright-protected content from being uploaded. What this essentially means is that Internet users will no longer be able to post memes, snippets of films or music, or any other content that is protected by copyright.
    Dmca has been in place in the US for 20 years and the internet seems to survive. Many broadcasters actively use it as an ancillary broadcast medium. Many musicians are OK with using YouTube to market their stuff. There is both active collaboration or simple acceptance. A still from a film with a silly caption is hardly a breach.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    As its a directive rather than a regulation, the Oireachtas will have some say over how this implemented. Its unfortunate that FG voted for this in the EP, though positive that FF voted against.
    When i sent off emails complaining about this i never even bothered to include FG MEPs, foregone conclusion which way they would vote. For censorship, for big money v end user.

The EU turns into the US (minus the First Amendment) bit by bit.

Just watch how the algorithms will abuse this in deciding what is copyrighted.

Relish the fact that you did enjoy to live in a period of free information exchange before the corporates and govts moved in to make it theirs. 1990-2010 golden period and it may never happen again in history.
    We will never meet God. We will never meet alien life either apart from microbes. Biodiversity is Earth's only true treasure and our only companions in eternity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
    When i sent off emails complaining about this i never even bothered to include FG MEPs, foregone conclusion which way they would vote. For censorship, for big money v end user.

Relish the fact that you did enjoy to live in a period of free information exchange before the corporates and govts moved in to make it theirs. 1990-2010 golden period and it may never happen again in history.
    The algorithms are not needed under the DMCA. An artist's right have to be asserted by the owner.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Karloff View Post

To be fair to FG in my experience they reply to emails, which is not my experience with FF.
    Be the Wall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Gemma O'Doherty

@gemmaod1
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    My interview with John Waters hit 10k views in a day. @YouTube have removed it with no consultation on a false copyright claim over a picture of #MaryBoyle that I own. The person who made this false claim is well known to Gardai. Please inform @YouTube to have the video restored
    ‘Sometimes you need [lie] to get the results for things you think are essential #330 Wiesenthal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenian Boy View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/12/eu-l...right-law.html
    Today the EU Parliament voted in favour of a controversial reform of digital copyright laws, with potentially disastrous consequences for Internet freedom. Under Article 13 of this new law, tech giants will be forced to install
    filters that prevent copyright-protected content from being uploaded. What this essentially means is that Internet users will no longer be able to post memes, snippets of films or music, or any other content that is protected by copyright.
    EU are conts.
    Tear down the welfare state.

Quote Originally Posted by RasherHash View Post
    Gemma O'Doherty

@gemmaod1
    2m2 minutes ago
    More
    My interview with John Waters hit 10k views in a day. @YouTube have removed it with no consultation on a false copyright claim over a picture of #MaryBoyle that I own. The person who made this false claim is well known to Gardai. Please inform @YouTube to have the video restored
    how can she own a picture of maryboyle, she may have had permission to use it at one time but to "own" it????
    Last edited by lostexpectation; 12th January 2019 at 08:15 PM.
    If I ask a question don't just 'like' the post, reply to it. - If I post a lot about a subject I may write a post about it at http://dublinstreams.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Is there anyone here who would be happy to have their own creative work copied and distributed without their control and be happy that others actually profit from that?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It is corporate fronts such as the EU which make breach of copyright, subversive memes and the more interesting criminalities worthwhile.

Like getting occasional penpal letters from the most boring Swiss accounts clerk in history.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CatullusV View Post
    Is there anyone here who would be happy to have their own creative work copied and distributed without their control and be happy that others actually profit from that?
    Happens to me all the time.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast