Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Whither Saudi Arabia?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Are people really surprised that a country where weekly beheadings and limb amputations for crimes such as adultery and thievery take place would think twice about killing a journalist who was becoming an annoyance? The local plumbers will be busy clearing blocked drains when his remains are flushed into the sewer bit by bit.

Release of American pastor is very coincidental with Khasoggi case, wonder if it was a pay back for intelligence information?

A Turkish court ordered the release of an American pastor held for the past two years in Turkey in a case that sparked a crisis in relations with the United States.
    Four seconds to midnight

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The lads should replace MBS. The way he’s going, he’ll bring the monarchy down. The Iranians and Saudis don’t seem to get how seriously we Westerners take embassies and consulates. In the meantime, let’s hope we see more of this:

Jamal Khashoggi: Branson halts $1bn Saudi investment talks - BBC News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbohane View Post
    Are people really surprised that a country where weekly beheadings and limb amputations for crimes such as adultery and thievery take place would think twice about killing a journalist who was becoming an annoyance? The local plumbers will be busy clearing blocked drains when his remains are flushed into the sewer bit by bit.
    Thank you !
    I thought I was the only one confused by the furore created by this murder.
    It's Saudi Arabia FFS, not the Vatican.
    Murder is part & parcel of their Islamic 'rule of law'.

Whilst I'm not blaming Khashoggi at all - he was an utterly dumb fúck for walking in there.
    What did he expect from the very regime he was criticising ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by middleground View Post
    Release of American pastor is very coincidental with Khasoggi case, wonder if it was a pay back for intelligence information?

A Turkish court ordered the release of an American pastor held for the past two years in Turkey in a case that sparked a crisis in relations with the United States.
    I'd say it's more down to Erdogan's failed attempt at cosying up to the Russians.
    He thought he could pi$$ off the west by switching allegiances.
    Unfortunately for him, turns out the enemy of my enemy is ... ehhh ... also my enemy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by publicrealm View Post
    It heated up - quite a lot - after 9/11 too. This will pass for them. International slap on the wrist in the form of world leaders doing the "If it is proven, I condemn....." line for a few weeks. The oil will silence all of the detractors.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by publicrealm View Post
    As much as I would love to see this happen, it's not going to.
    15 out of the 19 9/11 hijackers were Saudi.
    And America invaded Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Saudi killing one of their own citizen's isn't going to ruffle many feathers.

Politics.ie Member JacquesHughes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Habeas corpus? Need to find Khasoggi soon.

There's the long-standing 'friendship' between the Bush family and the House of Saud- completely incomprehensible.

Two weeks ago President Trump at the UN named King Salman as a 'reformer' ( embargo of Qatar, resignation of Hariri, invasion of Yemen)- reforming Saudi Arabia into what?

In a phone call he reminded the King, 'You might not last 2 weeks without our support. You need to pay [us more]'.

British military personnel are in Yemen or Saudi Arabia ( location classified) 'advising' the Saudi military on their 'targetting' in Yemen - because, it transpires, while Saudi Arabia has an exorbitant arsenal, bought at dizzying prices, they don't have the expertise to use it.

Trump has taken, only since becoming president, to confidently invoking God's approval of his works - is he aware that Saudi Arabia is a slightly crazy theocracy setting world-leading standards in intolerance? NO Christian public worship is allowed.Freedom of religion in Saudi Arabia - Wikipedia

The Khasoggi disappearance may yet be explained; but to my mind the striking thing around it is; how the Saudi top brass had to go personally in their private jets to Istanbul and do it- there were no competent trustworthy people lower down the hierarchy!

Should we, in the west, rally round and 'support' Saudi Arabia? - are you mad?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh I know - we are accustomed to not expecting much; something about this tells me it's different though.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast