Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Budget 2019 - an election budget or a genuine step in the right direction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HarshBuzz View Post
    If I wanted to build a political party here it would be:
    Solidly and solely aimed at those eaening 40k+ p.a.
    Socially progressive
    Economically conservative
    Pro-Europe

I'd campaign on the basis of taking an axe to current spending, smashing PS trade unions and giving back half the gains via a new 30% tax bracket to apply between 35k and 70k.

Wonder if there's a market for my shtick?

Sounds like PD Nua. And like the originals, FF or FG could claim to be 3 of the 4 core items listed and rob your clothes.
    Even Educated Fleas Do It...

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Socially progressive
    Pro-Europe

I'd campaign on the basis of taking an axe to current spending, smashing PS trade unions and giving back half the gains via a new 30% tax bracket to apply between 35k and 70k.

The PS and its trade unions are where they are. Sad to say, you can never take back, politically. The error was in Bertie's wanting that 3 in a row at all costs, our costs, sadly. I am mystified as to why anyone votes FF any more. There would be many that would see things in the same light you do, but those views would never become a majority. Too many people at all levels with fingers in the pie.
    FF will support, oppose or turn a blind eye only according to what will advance its return to ministerial office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    Sounds like PD Nua. And like the originals, FF or FG could claim to be 3 of the 4 core items listed and rob your clothes.
    The PDs were partly a reaction against the high PAYE taxes but they ended up as the party of Mé Féin. It looks to me that just as DL did a reverse takeover of Labour, the PDs have done the same to FG.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    The PDs were partly a reaction against the high PAYE taxes but they ended up as the party of Mé Féin. It looks to me that just as DL did a reverse takeover of Labour, the PDs have done the same to FG.
    Yet the 2019 budget gives far more to non working families than working families.....?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    renua were a conservative, catholic, anti abortion fundamentalist party.
    their quite interesting economic proposals could not possibly compensate for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    Yet the 2019 budget gives far more to non working families than working families.....?
    Exactly!

Politically, it seems daft as the beneficiaries of this won't vote FG anyway.

Why not say 'we are the party of the middle class' and tailor your policies accordingly?
    “'retail deposit flight, I don't see that as a great danger. Ireland is an island” - Brian Lenihan - to hundreds of international investors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Exactly!

Politically, it seems daft as the beneficiaries of this won't vote FG anyway.

Why not say 'we are the party of the middle class' and tailor your policies accordingly?
    There is no reason to increase the dole for young unemployed people. Possibly some merit in the dependent child payment as Inflation is tough. But that should be it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gin Soaked View Post
    You realise the current Dail is like a Late Late show, there has to be something for everyone in the audience.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    You realise the current Dail is like a Late Late show, there has to be something for everyone in the audience.
    And like all goodie bags, you look at it, think it is nice and on the way home, feck it in the bin. We won't notice 500 euro a year. And there are many like us. I'd rather see it spent on rehabilitation of unemployed youth or spent enforcing a cap on Air B n B so we release properties into the rental market. Or reforming fair deal to allow the gaffes to be rented.

Hotels are for tourists, not families, apartments are for families, not tourists....

Politics.ie Member flavirostris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Socially progressive
    Pro-Europe

Some problems with your platform there.
    "Criticising the EU in Ireland in the 2010's is like criticising the Catholic Church in the 1950s. You run the risk of being lynched by brainwashed fanatics." - Volatire

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast