Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: "Grievance Studies"; your grief, our money

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Voice View Post
    In fairness, it is a great book.
    It is that.
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    It is that.
    I'm amazed how many lecturers in Classics have never heard of the chapter on Petronius. Talk about silos!

Quote Originally Posted by twokidsmanybruises View Post
    "Man" is used, but as before, "man" is actually grammatically gender neutral. The specific masculine word is "wer"., so "wer" or "wer-man".

It's where "werewolf" comes from, "a wolf man".
    So it's interesting then that the neutral term has become the term we use for males, whereas the word we use for females is a modification of that term.
    Repeal the 27th.

It proved that you can get makey-uppey rubbish posted in Sociology journals.
    But it didn't prove that at all.

Did you actually read the papers they wrote?

Of the ones that were accepted, most relied on falsified data, and the rest were deliberatlely constructed in order to avoid making obviously absurd claims.

When sociologist hoaxers get faux maths or spoof chemistry papers published in real science journals, we can re-evaluate the relative standing of these disciplines.
    But this has happened plenty of times in those disciplines - the only difference is the motivations of the fraudsters.
    Repeal the 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    The state should not fund propaganda. The state should fund academic disciplines that adhere to the scientific method and academic rigour.
    That's a philosophical claim.

Should the state fund philosophy?
    Repeal the 27th.

It did. And your hurtin' bad because of it. Spoofers like you tend to get found out in the end.
    I actually read the papers they submitted. I doubt you did. Which is ironic, given the topic at hand.
    Repeal the 27th.

Politics.ie Member twokidsmanybruises's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Apologies, Iíve just checked. The full article is behind a paywall, I logged out and realised that non-logged in users can only see the first paragraph or so of the article, with only one hoax scientific paper mentioned.

Iíll see if I can find a similiar list that isnít behind a paywall.
    "A little lie goes a long way when you can't say quite for sure what's the truth" - Mark Oliver Everett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
    That's a philosophical claim.

Should the state fund philosophy?
    Yes because Philosophy courses don't start with pre-conceived and fixed ideas. Read the laughable intro to the Gender Studies course in UCD.

I actually read the papers they submitted. I doubt you did. Which is ironic, given the topic at hand.
    Did you? So did I. And yes they were very plausible to read. The thing is it was the OTT feminism that their peers refused to challenge was the big story. Had they challenged certain accept feminist precepts, the "patriarchy" they'd have been chopped down.

Politics.ie Member twokidsmanybruises's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

So it's interesting then that the neutral term has become the term we use for males, whereas the word we use for females is a modification of that term.
    In English yes, often. ( but following the etymology of the world, “mankind” shouldn’t be considered sexist ) German, though, uses “man(n)” as a gender neutral pronoun, like English used to use “one”.

We see the same misunderstandings with “human” and “history”. “History” has never been “his-story”, so “her-story” might be inventive word-ply, but it has no etimopogical basis.

My point is that, while this word-play might be used to illustrate a point, misunderstanding the historical root of words, and then using that misunderstanding to make a point about sexism in language is not a good thing to do. As it’s based on a false premise, which can be easily debunked, all these type of arguments result in a loss of credibility for the person presenting then.

Which is a shame, as they might have other, valid arguments.
    "A little lie goes a long way when you can't say quite for sure what's the truth" - Mark Oliver Everett

Yes because Philosophy courses don't start with pre-conceived and fixed ideas.
    Of course they do. If they didn't, we'd all be stuck doing metaphysics forever.
    Repeal the 27th.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast