Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Would The Irish language Have Fared In An Ireland Fully Under British Rule To This Day?

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default How Would The Irish language Have Fared In An Ireland Fully Under British Rule To This Day?

As it says on the tin. I can't imagine that it would have fared any better than it did! Mind you, the curriculum might have been a bit more palatable in the schools for young people.
    The Swedish Anti Sex Worker Model Destroys Sex Workers And That's A Known Consequence By Its Supporters!

Politics.ie Member General Urko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Indeed how would traditional Irish Music and dancing and Gaelic Games have done?
    The Swedish Anti Sex Worker Model Destroys Sex Workers And That's A Known Consequence By Its Supporters!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Urko View Post
    As it says on the tin. I can't imagine that it would have fared any better than it did! Mind you, the curriculum might have been a bit more palatable in the schools for young people.
    Indeed how would traditional Irish Music and dancing and Gaelic Games have done?
    Your stream of consciousness OPs might look less thin if rather than adding a second post you used the edit function on the first one ....

so

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If anything, Conradh was at its highest grassroots popularity precisely when Ireland was under British rule, and the subsequent decline came about because it abdicated responsibility to the State. Perhaps it would have fared similarly to Welsh,remaining a community language as an antagonistic reaction to UK domination? Of course, a Home Rule parliament would have been granted eventually after WWI, so it could have fared exactly the same at that point.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Possibly better than it has done, if we are to judge by the example of Welsh. But that would require sufficient numbers of people who actually spoke Irish as a home language.

It is surprising the number of Welsh luminaries, thoroughly dependent on English patronage to make their way in the world, who nevertheless grew up speaking Welsh as their first language. Richard Burton springs to mind.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Breanainn View Post
    If anything, Conradh was at its highest grassroots popularity precisely when Ireland was under British rule, and the subsequent decline came about because it abdicated responsibility to the State. //

Back in 1905 ithey called themselves Connrad na Gaedilge....

Context: Invitation to Gaelic League Árd Fheis and Oireachtas,
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Irish is undergoing a very very mini revival at the moment. Unfortunately it will probably remain a "hobby language" for most. Ach níl sé marbh.
    Lets keep Dublin litter free- Coinnigh Atha Cliatha glán

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I mean does anyone think this would have happened 20 or 30 years ago?

New Irish language post filled by Belfast council - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Economically Ireland is free of Westminster. But culturally we are not. Look to the North for the answer to the O.P. How is Irish doing up there? N.I is still ruled by London.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Northern Ireland has remained under British rule. So that is the answer to your question. The state of an Gaeilge in North.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast