Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The vegans are coming after your meat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The vegans are coming after your meat

In probably what is a regular hysterical Guardian article, apparently we are doomed if we keep eating meat. I cant see how everyone switching to industrialised high fossil fuel nutrient sapping monocrops would improve things. Sustainable grass fed meat improves the quality of land and adds to the carbon sink. Im pretty sure if someone came up with a machine that mimicked a cow by turning inedible grass into a high quality protein they would become the richest person on the planet.

Huge reduction in meat-eating ‚Äėessential‚Äô to avoid climate breakdown | Environment | The Guardian

Huge reductions in meat-eating are essential to avoid dangerous climate change, according to the most comprehensive analysis yet of the food systemís impact on the environment. In western countries, beef consumption needs to fall by 90% and be replaced by five times more beans and pulses.

The research also finds that enormous changes to farming are needed to avoid destroying the planetís ability to feed the 10 billion people expected to be on the planet in a few decades.

Food production already causes great damage to the environment, via greenhouse gases from livestock, deforestation and water shortages from farming, and vast ocean dead zones from agricultural pollution. But without action, its impact will get far worse as the world population rises by 2.3 billion people by 2050 and global income triples, enabling more people to eat meat-rich western diets
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mary Robinson was all over this issue and she is an expert on hot air, so I'm in!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Whale-hunting does not affect the Climate.

Has Robinson considered this tasty alternative to Veganism?

I had a meal of Beluga, Walrus and Grey Whale this summer.

Delicious!
    MAKE DUBLIN GREAT AGAIN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Volatire View Post
    Whale-hunting does not affect the Climate.

Has Robinson considered this tasty alternative to Veganism?

I had a meal of Beluga, Walrus and Grey Whale this summer.

Delicious!
    It affects the Whales..and Ships emit as much carbon as a lot of cars

Daily emissions of cruise ships same as one million cars EURACTIV.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Giving up meat is not veganism, that's vegetarianism. Giving up milk, butter, honey, eggs and meat is veganism.
    All the world's a stage... That we're just going through.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Certainly as a society we eat too much meat, which is bad for the body. A serving of meat 5 times a week is plenty. If we limited ourselves to that, the planet would be much better off, as would our health. That being said only a minority of the plannet's population can afford our lavish lifestyles. India is mostly vegetarian, just wait until they take up eating big macs.

GDPR Deleted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post
    In probably what is a regular hysterical Guardian article, apparently we are doomed if we keep eating meat. I cant see how everyone switching to industrialised high fossil fuel nutrient sapping monocrops would improve things. Sustainable grass fed meat improves the quality of land and adds to the carbon sink. Im pretty sure if someone came up with a machine that mimicked a cow by turning inedible grass into a high quality protein they would become the richest person on the planet.

Huge reduction in meat-eating ‚€˜essential‚€™ to avoid climate breakdown | Environment | The Guardian
    It is basically true though. I have been advocating a ban on meat eating in Northern Ireland since I was fourteen for a whole variety of reasons.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MsDaisyC View Post
    Giving up meat is not veganism, that's vegetarianism. Giving up milk, butter, honey, eggs and meat is veganism.
    I'm sorry, but this is an oppressed western white male whinge thread; what do you mean by dropping in and expecting such left-wing nonsense as actual facts? Hey?
    Put a thief among honest men and they will eventually relieve him of his watch. Flann O'Brien

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silverharp View Post

Huge reduction in meat-eating ‚€˜essential‚€™ to avoid climate breakdown | Environment | The Guardian
    Someone needs to put the nutjobs back in the asylum.
    We made our bed.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    I'm sorry, but this is an oppressed western white male whinge thread; what do you mean by dropping in and expecting such left-wing nonsense as actual facts? Hey?
    lol , Being an Irish based political website, you could attach that comment to 99% of the threads on this site, you played the averages though kudos!
    "So you think humans should run their societies like lobsters?"........ Cathy Newman C4 News

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast