Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Cork North Central: Call the next GE Results

CNC is a 4 seater presently held by:

Billy Kelliher (FF)
    Mick Barry (AAA-PBP)
    Jonathan O'Brien (SF)
    Dara Murphy (FG) - Retiring.

This constituency comprises both poor and rich areas of the city and a substantial rural hinterland as well. Even though the sitting FG TD (Murphy) is retiring there's a safe FG seat there with Sen Colm Burke likely to be the successful of 2 candidates.

FF's Billy Kelliher topped the poll on 2016 and had 1.4 of a quota. With a running mate of the sitting Mayor, Tony Fitzgerald, they'll be aiming for a second seat in what is Jack Lynch's old heartland. Getting Billy to split the vote will be a test of headquarters though.

SF have a safe seat, although it might not necessarily be O'Brien. A change of personal to his possible running mate Cllr Mick Nugent (should SF decide to run a second candidate) should not be ruled out. There was a time when SF would have thought of getting 2 seats here, but that's very unlikely now.

Mick Barry took Kathleen Lynch's long held Labour seat in 2016 on the back of his leading the Water Charges campaign in the area. There has always been a Left seat in CNC with Labour, The Workers Party and Labour again returning a representative. However, the Barry seat is considered weak in the area as his main platform (water charges) is now gone and a perception that he's not looking after the grassroots. Lynch is running again but I can't see her making a comeback.

Prediction:

Kelliher (FF)
    O'Brien (SF)
    Burke (FG)

with Barry, the 2nd FF candidate and, possible Lynch (Lab) fighting for the last one.
    Last edited by Casablanca; 30th October 2018 at 05:44 PM.
    Even Educated Fleas Do It...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Casablanca View Post
    CNC is a 4 seater presently held by:

Billy Kelliher (FF)
    Mick Barry (AAA-PBP)
    Jonathan O'Brien (SF)
    Dara Murphy (FG) - Retiring.

This constituency comprises both poor and rich areas of the city and a substantial rural hinterland as well. Even though the sitting FG TD (Murphy) is retiring there's a safe FG seat there with the son of a former TD, Sen Colm Burke likely to be the successful of 2 candidates.

FF's Billy Kelliher topped the poll on 2016 and had 1.4 of a quota. With a running mate of the sitting Mayor, Tony Fitzgerald, they'll be aiming for a second seat in what is Jack Lynch's old heartland. Getting Billy to split the vote will be a test of headquarters though.

SF have a safe seat, although it might not necessarily be O'Brien. A change of personal to his possible running mate Cllr Mick Nugent (should SF decide to run a second candidate) should not be ruled out. There was a time when SF would have thought of getting 2 seats here, but that's very unlikely now.

Mick Barry took Kathleen Lynch's long held Labour seat in 2016 on the back of his leading the Water Charges campaign in the area. There has always been a Left seat in CNC with Labour, The Workers Party and Labour again returning a representative. However, the Barry seat is considered weak in the area as his main platform (water charges) is now gone and a perception that he's not looking after the grassroots. Lynch is running again but I can't see her making a comeback.

Prediction:

Kelliher (FF)
    O'Brien (SF)
    Burke (FG)

with Barry, the 2nd FF candidate and, possible Lynch (Lab) fighting for the last one.
    I think it's hard to see Barry holding on.
    Let us consider the Serapeum of Alexandria.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Just adding this link here:

Constituency by constituency threads for the next GE: utilising the P.ie hive mind

The idea is to try to predict the overall result by bringing the constituency predictions together in one place.
    Let us consider the Serapeum of Alexandria.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since writing the OP, I spoke to a community activist in the area and mentioned the Barry issue. She said that she couldn't see CNC not returning a left candidate but wouldn't be surprised if it was Kathleen Lynch based on her work in the Northside over the decades. However if the election doesn't come for 3 years and Barry tends to his backyard, she reckons the seat is his to lose.

I'm inclined to say 2FF 1FG 1SF

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Colm Burke, FG, is from Inniscarra and is not related, as far as I know, to the late FG TD, Liam Burke, who was from the White's Cross/Glanmire area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Colm Burke, FG, is from Inniscarra and is not related, as far as I know, to the late FG TD, Liam Burke, who was from the White's Cross/Glanmire area.
    You're quite right, and indeed, Colm is more closely associated with the former TD Bernard Allen than with Liam Burke. I've edited the OP.

Thanks,
    C

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cricket View Post
    Liam Burke and Billy Kelliher were first cousins.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There's only two certainties

1) Kelliher will be elected if he runs (there have been rumours of him standing for Europe)
    2) Sinn Féin will win a seat

For Sinn Féin, O'Brien could be vulnerable to a party colleague from the North-East of the city or Glanmire, so it depends who they run. I can't see them winning two

I'm not sure Colm Burke sets the world alight for FG. Julie O'Leary did well enough last time out and looks like being the only candidate based south of the river. I think O'Leary may be the better placed FG candidate.

FG were shy of a full quota last time out and Kathleen Lynch will be much more transfer-friendly this time round. I could see her pipping FG for a seat.

Mick Barry has been good on the ground and I think he will have done enough to get elected.

So 1 FF, 1 SF, 1 Soc and either FG or Lab for the last.

One other thing to call out is that Oliver Moran of The Greens is a seriously active and impressive politician. It's an election too early for him, but I can see him getting on the city council next year and being a contender in the election after next.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Heard Noel O'Flynn's son, phantom of the opera himself, Ken O'Flynn is agitating to be on the FF ticket.
    Boycott the "Irish" Sun rag.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

FF are running two.

Assuming Kelliher doesn't go to Europe, it will be him plus O'Flynn or Tony Fitzgerald.

There was talk of John Sheehan going for it, but he doesn't seem to want it.

I'd say FF top brass will be looking at Fitzgerald, who is quite capable and likeable, rather than someone who would threaten to be FF's John Deasy.

Fitzgerald getting a nomination could be bad news for Jonathan O'Brien if he did get into a battle with someone else in his party
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast