Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Google facing Employee Power

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AyaanMyHero View Post
    But are we saying that we suspect sexism exists in any organisation that does not have 50:50 male:female at all levels ?

If women and men had same career desires, same competence profile and same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If women and men had same career desires, same competence profile and same desires from life outside of their careers then you would expect 50:50 ratios everywhere. Since, there are, on average, differences in these factors between men and women then there is really no ideal target to aim for.

The test of sexism in an organisation is far from a simple matter.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

But are we saying that we suspect sexism exists in any organisation that does not have 50:50 male:female at all levels ?
    I wouldn't say that.
    If women and men had same career desires, same competence profile and same

The civil service is a pretty broad organisation. I don't really see any obvious reason why ability to do the job would differ that much by gender. I actually don't know all that much about how they recruit either, but afaik tests/exams are involved and I suspect once people meet some minimum standard they are able to select by whatever other criteria they wish to use ..

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

One will have a very good career if one likes the work, and if you have a talent for the work and if the work fits well with your financial and other personal needs. This is the basis of any career advice you will get. Ability is but one necessary factor. One might be very capable of the work, but hate doing it. You won't be so suited to doing that work. You might love the work but lack the talent. No good either. You might be in a job that you love and are very good at, but it is still not the job for you because it does not pay you enough to meet your bills or its demands are such that you have insufficient time for your family/friends or your sport/hobby or whatever else floats your boat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP

///

The list of demands strikes me as a mixed bag.

One question: Putting yourself in a CEOs shoes: which of the demands are reasonable and which are not ?

Second question: This was bound to happen one day or another. But why does this first arise in Google ? What makes them more susceptible to it.

Third question: put yourself in a shareholders shoes: do you feel more safe or less safe in your investment due to this ?

Fourth question: put yourself in an employees shoes, does this occurrence encourage you to stay or leave ?

Every business should have a policy doc by now making clear that personal misbehaviour is 100% outside employees' contracts.

You can't have a situation where the company is wasting time and money on lawyers and compo. If there's proof, instant dismissal, no matter who they are. If not, go to the gardi.

Plus it's soooo tacky to hit on someone you work with.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    OP

Every business should have a policy doc by now making clear that personal misbehaviour is 100% outside employees' contracts.

You can't have a situation where the company is wasting time and money on lawyers and compo. If there's proof, instant dismissal, no matter who they are. If not, go to the gardi.

All agreed except might be many a married couple that takes exception to the last para.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Google seems to be a thoroughly nasty outfit, the Weinstein of tech companies.

All virtue-signaling leftie on the outside, abusive and rapey inside.
    MAKE DUBLIN GREAT AGAIN

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Google employees walked out of multiple work sites today (including the Dublin site) demanding the following:

Here is an article with some context.

Google staff walk out over women's treatment - BBC News

One could conclude Google is a nasty place to work since they seem to treat alleged harassment victims quite badly and the alleged harassers quite well.

Not sure if that is the right conclusion. They have led the way in good treatment of employees in other ways (pay, perks, free food, everyone wants to work there). They fired James Damore to show support for women in the company. Many other tech companies would not have done that. One of Damores points was that the environment was a bit too strong on affirmative action as an attempt to progress the careers of women.

The list of demands strikes me as a mixed bag.

One question: Putting yourself in a CEOs shoes: which of the demands are reasonable and which are not ?

Second question: This was bound to happen one day or another. But why does this first arise in Google ? What makes them more susceptible to it.

Third question: put yourself in a shareholders shoes: do you feel more safe or less safe in your investment due to this ?

Fourth question: put yourself in an employees shoes, does this occurrence encourage you to stay or leave ?

It possibly has happened elsewhere, just did not necessarily hit the media.

All demands look reasonable except for the anonymous reporting. For allegations like this, anonymity is a cranks charter and needs to be handled extremely carefully. Sexual misconduct allegations even if false, have a nasty habit of following you around. Employee board representatives are very bad ideas due to the inherent conflict of interest that can arise. These individuals go on boards with the intention of being the employees power against the company but as a Board member, you have a legal obligation to put the company interest first. Many times the company's interest conflicts with the employees.

On the forced arbitration demand, I disagree its the way to go. Arbitration is usual more beneficial for all concerned.

Edit: Forgot about no. 1. More detail needed on this really. Are they really talking about equality of opportunity or equality of outcome? Its very hard to tell these days and it usually sounds like its equality of outcome is what the diversity police look for but dress it up as equality of opportunity.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The problem is that we're now close to the point where accusation = proof. No due process, no right to a defence. If you're accused you must be guilty. One of the demands is for the company to accept anonymous denunciations, an explicit rejection of a cornerstone of civilised justice systems, the right to confront your accuser.

You're joking here, right?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by benroe View Post
    It must be difficult for a man to work in an environment where the competence and ambition of his female colleagues is seen as a threat to his tiny little dick ego.
    Fixed that for you.
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If there's proof, instant dismissal, no matter who they are. If not, go to the gardi.

?

Google Maps
    Happiness is a dry martini and a good woman … or a bad woman.
    –George Burns