Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it time to end Judge for life system ?

Default Is it time to end Judge for life system ?

Appointed as a Judge you are then there for life where it is almost impossible to remove you while the start picks up the cost.

Again and again we see a Justice syste where it is difficult to get sent to jail as Judges seem willing to grant licence to people to go out and recommit crimes.

Is it time for all judges to be appointed on fixed terms going forward.

No Judge with exception of Supreme Court may hold a position for more than 10 years, with some positions only being for 5 years.

In order to prevent a situation where a Govt of the day would appoint all Judges, a maximum of 10% of Judges per year can be appointed by a sitting Govt so in a 5 year term.

It would I believe require a constitutional change but Justice should be for the people, by the people and seemingly in existing Judicial system its by the judges for their friends.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by odie1kanobe View Post
    It would I believe require a constitutional change but Justice should be for the people, by the people and seemingly in existing Judicial system its by the judges for their friends.
    No, justice should be by the law and for the law. Making judges accountable to public opinion encourages mob rule and the diminution of all sorts of human rights.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nope you will get judicial activism in spades.
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

We need elected Judges

- couldn't see many of the current crop last long on the Perch if that were the case!
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No. The public opinion is irrelevant when it comes to the administration of law, and it is not for the public. It would also hamper judicial independence.
    "The value of a statement is qualified by its maker"
    - Greener.

Politics.ie Member The Eagle of the Ninth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    We need elected Judges

- couldn't see many of the current crop last long on the Perch if that were the case!
    Still having problems with this whole separation of the powers thing?
    Plotting the witchcraft with my cats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    We need elected Judges
    Worst system. The public should have no say.
    "The value of a statement is qualified by its maker"
    - Greener.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    No, justice should be by the law and for the law. Making judges accountable to public opinion encourages mob rule and the diminution of all sorts of human rights.
    That's right. I don't even think judges should be appointed by governments. Judges should be fully independent from governments.

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    But it is not accountable by the law or for the law is it ?

When someone repeatly breaks the law and gets told to put something in the poor bix as way of recompsense.

What Human Rights have victims when people destroying their lives are allowed to get back on the streets quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntary View Post
    That's right. I don't even think judges should be appointed by governments. Judges should be fully independent from governments.
    So basically Judges get to be appointed and then do as they like............... unaccountable to anbody.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast