Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70

Thread: Carbon at 470/tonne - how do we pay?

  1. #1
    Politics.ie Member McTell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I travel a lot on business
    Posts
    5,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Carbon at 470/tonne - how do we pay?

    Households could see bills rise by €3,000 if Govt fails to meet climate change targets | Irish Examiner



    Households face a 3,000 carbon tax bill unless measures are brought in by the Government to tackle emissions and climate change.

    A new ESRI report says that carbon tax will have to increase from 20 per tonne today to 470 by 2030 in order for Ireland to meet its targets.


    With the booming economy, most of us won't have a problem paying 3k in 2030; or will we?

    Should we fire staff at the peat fired power stations?

    Should the state stop writing blank cheques on our behalf, until they at least have a plan to make our payments as small as possible?
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

  2. #2
    Politics.ie Member publicrealm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    This issue seems to be getting very little coverage.

    Leaving aside the arguments about carbon emissions and climate change, there is no dispute about the reality of the financial penalties we will suffer if we miss the targets our politicians signed up to.

    Yet there seems very little State support for those who want to reduce their carbon footprint - talk of grants but I don't think they have materialised? - and continued reliance on turf and coal for power generation.

    If there is a plan then I suspect it is to carry on as usual and, in due course, tax the usual suspects - all the while enthusiastically committing to further carbon reductions etc.

    Effectively, borrowing now and socialising the debt in the near future.
    I have measured out my life with coffee spoons......

  3. #3
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    17,645
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    My understanding is that since Germany and enough of the other countries are missing their targets, the rules would be changed so we won't have to pay the 2020 fines.

    Anyway, on a more positive note, I see Dublin City Council is making at least a provisional effort at installing a district heating system in Dublin's docklands utilizing the waste heat from the Poolbeg incinerator.


    There are a number of grid battery storage investments taking place


    The population is urbanizing...finally.. less carbon miles, less heating oil imported and delivered by truck and subsidized by tax payer less septic tanks.


    Lots of public transport and cycling projects finally being funded in the cities.


    An electricity cable connecting us to French nuclear is on the way.


    There is progress, but it's slow in Ireland, too many dinosaurs at top level. I do think our situation will improve substantially in the 2020s though.

    More money for research into wave power is needed, a support mechanism for off shore wind also required.

    I'd also say educating the public on the latest generations of nuclear reactor with a view to converting Moneypoint in the future should be considered.

  4. #4
    Politics.ie Member The Field Marshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Imperial Throne
    Posts
    44,307
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Stop believing this scam about Climate Change.

    It is led by criminal politicians and supported by anti pope Francis who want to fleece working people and build big government on the back of fraudulent carbon taxes.


    The liar and formal heretic anti pope Francis 1st is responsible for giving cover to this massive tax theft with his so called encyclical Laudato Si
    [a tissue of lies based on junk science , personal opinion and pagan theology].

    Anti pope Francis 1st is a true ,vicious, and extremely cunning enemy of the human race.
    The sooner catholics get rid of him the better.
    Repeal the thirty-fourth amendment of the Irish constitution :
    Children have a basic right to be reared by a mother and a father.

  5. #5
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    8,211
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    My understanding is that since Germany and enough of the other countries are missing their targets, the rules would be changed so we won't have to pay the 2020 fines.

    Anyway, on a more positive note, I see Dublin City Council is making at least a provisional effort at installing a district heating system in Dublin's docklands utilizing the waste heat from the Poolbeg incinerator.


    There are a number of grid battery storage investments taking place


    The population is urbanizing...finally.. less carbon miles, less heating oil imported and delivered by truck and subsidized by tax payer less septic tanks.


    Lots of public transport and cycling projects finally being funded in the cities.


    An electricity cable connecting us to French nuclear is on the way.


    There is progress, but it's slow in Ireland, too many dinosaurs at top level. I do think our situation will improve substantially in the 2020s though.

    More money for research into wave power is needed, a support mechanism for off shore wind also required.

    I'd also say educating the public on the latest generations of nuclear reactor with a view to converting Moneypoint in the future should be considered.
    I noticed fingal have started to install water fountains to reduce plastic waste
    desperately coming to terms with my burrito addiction

  6. #6
    Politics.ie Member Volatire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    12,770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    More money for research into wave power is needed, a support mechanism for off shore wind also required.
    I can help with that. It won't work.

    You're welcome.
    MAKE DUBLIN GREAT AGAIN

  7. #7
    Politics.ie Member wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31,361
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    I heard Varadkar say in the Dail that the ESRI are wrong, its not going to happen. They then had an interesting discussion started by Eamonn Ryan suggesting that an all party committee agree on how much the carbon tax should rise to and how the money raised would be returned through taxes/ welfare so that people are no worse off by its introduction. The idea of the all party approach is to give people certainty and remove the carbon tax as a political issue.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

  8. #8
    Politics.ie Member wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31,361
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roll_On View Post
    I'd also say educating the public on the latest generations of nuclear reactor with a view to converting Moneypoint in the future should be considered.
    That's the one idea which the politicians refuse to consider, they think that importing timber from the U.S. is a better option
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Politics.ie Member McTell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    I travel a lot on business
    Posts
    5,835
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    //
    The idea of the all party approach is to give people certainty and remove the carbon tax as a political issue.

    So will it stay at €20/tonne? An all party approach could mean a larger group of santas voting for christmas.
    McTell tCurrently, I am missing certain information. That has been requested and will be added as soon as it is available available availableavailable

  10. #10
    Politics.ie Member wombat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    31,361
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McTell View Post
    So will it stay at €20/tonne? An all party approach could mean a larger group of santas voting for christmas.
    They were talking about €80 to 90/T over several years.
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •