Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad day for a good guy with a gun (in the US of course)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    Both the initial shooter (Mr Brown) and the good guy with a gun (Mr Bradford) were black.

When it comes to black folks who do (or may) have guns, many US cops seem to act quickly before they have fully asessed and understood the situation.
    I think it's often a case of you either draw first and shoot or you're dead.

That's the reality of guns, anyway the yanks like their guns and that's just the way it is, it's an interesting phenomenon but it ain't going to change anytime soon so us Euro's will just have to accept that.
    "CNN is a fake news bureau". Galloway.
    "The Democrats gave up on the working class 40 years ago." Noam Chomsky.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RasherHash View Post
    I think it's often a case of you either draw first and shoot or you're dead.

That's the reality of guns, anyway the yanks like their guns and that's just the way it is, it's an interesting phenomenon but it ain't going to change anytime soon so us Euro's will just have to accept that.

Really?

Is that what trained cops are taught to do?

Just draw your gun and shoot someone?
    satisfied with frugal comfort

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In most shooting incidents there are often only split seconds to make decisions to fire or hold fire. In Ireland after the Don Tidey kidnapping it was decided that armed civilian dressed garda would not work alongside uniformed soldiers for obvious reasons.
    There have been many instances where armed civilians have stopped shootings or saved lives the case of the Westgate attack in Nairobi is a case in point. I have lived near there for a number of years and was usually armed.
    As someone who owns a number of firearms (4) (Rifle, Shotgun Pistol and revolver ) I regularly carry a concealed firearm and have over the last thirty years used it to protect myself , family and others. If I was in the US I would be very reluctant to draw my weapon in a shopping mall unless there was an immediate threat to me because of the fact that there is no way to identify who are the good guys and who are the bad guys . ( unless the guy is carrying an AK and shouting allah Akbar) .
    People in Ireland including even the garda have little knowledge of firearms and the society is basically afraid of them. I do not see myself having or wishing to carry a firearm in Ireland but I will have a shotgun at home for vermin and sport shooting.
    The US is a different place and while i think there laws are too liberal in regard to firearms I think Ireland are too strict and too nanny state minded.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12