Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Is America Falling Apart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2lazy View Post
    For what I can remember from this tread - it talks more so of the recent decay in rust belt areas and especially in semi rural areas which have been hit badly by changing economic times.
    In other words its not a party political or race issue - sorry
    Noble sentiment, but reality suggests otherwise:

Riot-Plagued Baltimore Is a Catastrophe Entirely of the Democratic Party’s Own Making | National Review

American cities are by and large Democratic-party monopolies, monopolies generally dominated by the so-called progressive wing of the party. The results have been catastrophic, and not only in poor black cities such as Baltimore and Detroit. Money can paper over some of the defects of progressivism in rich, white cities such as Portland and San Francisco, but those are pretty awful places to be non-white and non-rich, too: Blacks make up barely 9 percent of the population in San Francisco, but they represent 40 percent of those arrested for murder, and they are arrested for drug offenses at ten times their share of the population.
    The Left’s Burning Cities | National Review

So let’s examine inequality. It turns out that the more “blue” a city is, the greater its level of income inequality — inequality compounded by a lack of affordable housing. This chart, from The Atlantic, is telling:
    (I can't post the chart; it's too big. See the article)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    Including Obama who has spoken about what a good president he was.

Note , I'm always suspicious of people boasting about their own intelligence or conversely those who label others"stupid". The most brilliant people I have met are nearly always humble and talk up other people. Maybe you;re different of course ! Something a bit Trumpian about your bragging and put down of others ironically. Perhaps it is immaturity.
    Yep Obama too. it's culturally endemic. Way to go with the personal attacks and attemps to link me to Trump though: A man whose election win is a manifestation of the prevalance of stupidity in American life par exellence. But carry on attacking the person who points it out. That's what brainwashed people tend to do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2lazy View Post
    I think you need to look at the over all picture and reduce volume on the soundbites, its like saying Europe is a sh!thole because of the poverty rates in Romania.
    Lots of people still have a very nice lifestyle in the US - aside from the economic opportunities other factors like the weather, access to outdoor activities, LCOL in certain areas etc can make it preferable.
    The US is not a sh1thole no more than the EU is - yes it does have its problems, but I quite enjoy getting back here after a trip "home".
    You seem to have ignored the fact that the US is actually a single country, while the EU is a collection of countries. And outside of (parts of) urban centres, much of America is indeed a sh1thole.

copy & paste the first link if you wish to read it:

peterturchin.com/cliodynamica/population-immiseration-in-america/?fbclid=IwAR0J1XfO18-gjbi2J55Ah8nyC-CQU8bXs085gmxj5Uxy6gLyurFSWTdcvug

https://billmoyers.com/segment/chris...-zones’/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Voice View Post
    Noble sentiment, but reality suggests otherwise:

Riot-Plagued Baltimore Is a Catastrophe Entirely of the Democratic Party€™s Own Making | National Review

The Left€™s Burning Cities | National Review

(I can't post the chart; it's too big. See the article)

if you are suggesting inner city areas in the US have social and economic issues then I doubt anyone will argue with you, but the discussion I feel has moved on to how these same issues are now plaguing white middle america when they too are faced with certain limitations, nothing noble about it - just facts,

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    You seem to have ignored the fact that the US is actually a single country, while the EU is a collection of countries. And outside of (parts of) urban centres, much of America is indeed a sh1thole.

https://peterturchin.com/cliodynamic...gLyurFSWTdcvug

https://billmoyers.com/segment/chris...-zones’/
    I chose the EU are it more reflects the economic make up of the US in terms of size, population ans somewhat similar in wealth distribution.
    You are heading in the right direction with changing your assertion to "much of America is indeed a sh1thole", but you're view still holds little weight, and only undermines any valid argument you may have with regard to goverment policy in the US.
    Last edited by 2lazy; 6th December 2018 at 04:42 PM.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bokuden View Post
    Yep Obama too. it's culturally endemic. Way to go with the personal attacks and attemps to link me to Trump though: A man whose election win is a manifestation of the prevalance of stupidity in American life par exellence. But carry on attacking the person who points it out. That's what brainwashed people tend to do.
    That sounds like a line you read somewhere else. Yes we know, americans are stupid (because they didnt vote for your guy) and you are really smart because you would have voted for your guy. Wasnt a personal attack just suggesting that your boasting and constant put downs of those whose views differ from you own makes you look insecure.
    Just my opinion but then i dont classify large sections of any nations as stupid or make judements on the intelligence of nations based on who they elect as leader.

You havent pointed anything out merely stated a personal opinion that is not shared by all. Just because people do not share your opinion or political views does not mean they are stupid or brainwashed !

Politics.ie Member President Bartlet's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: I Wont Be Here When It Blows Up
    Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: ‘I Won’t Be Here’ When It Blows Up

This man is a disgrace

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by President Bartlet View Post
    Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: €˜I Won€™t Be Here€™ When It Blows Up

This man is a disgrace
    God this site is a joke, sticking up random articles with an insult of the US president now qualifies as political discussion.

So what you're saying is the democrats now favour debt reduction ?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    God this site is a joke, sticking up random articles with an insult of the US president now qualifies as political discussion.

So what you're saying is the democrats now favour debt reduction ?
    I can assure you no Democrat politician has told an electorate they would eliminate the entire US Debt inside 4 years.

This was Trump€™s craziest promise yet - MarketWatch

Then again, I doubt any Dem would ever have believed a sizeable portion of the population would believe such an outrageous lie
    Anyone who has followed Trump for 5 decades could have told the gullible rubes that Trump doesn't pay down debt, he just borrows more.

You borrow money to stimulate an economy. Like in life, when someone keeps borrowing money, but simultaneously telling you they are doing great, it is usually a lie.
    If Trump's BS claim that the American economy is "the greatest in history" is true, why does it need borrowing of over 1 trillion dollars a year?

And so it has come to pass, that instead of eliminating the Debt, he has ballooned it by a further 3 trillion in just 2 years

And now we find out that far from try to eliminate it, he actually doesn't give a flying ****************************** about it and intends to do what he has done all his life, continue to borrow like a manic and hope (yet again) somehow there will be a different outcome.
    And if there isn't, "so what, I'll be out of office by the time it explodes"

What a man

Make America's Debt Great Again
    Last edited by Jack Walsh; 6th December 2018 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by President Bartlet View Post
    Trump On Coming Debt Crisis: €˜I Won€™t Be Here€™ When It Blows Up

This man is a disgrace
    to see the TV footage of him entering the church at GHB funeral and how he comported himself, the way he walked, the stupid, blank expression on his orange head got me thinking "this man actually mocked a person with disabilities????????how ironic"