Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The death of a star and the wonders of space

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    The Milky Way is on course to crash into the Andromeda galaxy - in about 4 billion years.
    Excellent. We could make a fortune selling insurance to idiots.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quite looking forward to the results of upgrades to telescope and related instrumentation which I think is fairly imminent. The search for goldilocks planets may well produce some interesting data.

On an aesthetic note I live outside major urban centres now and a clear night in autumn is marvellous for a view of the moon and stars.

Living in various urban areas I did for many years it was rare to see anything other than an orange glow. Very much appreciating it.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Talbot View Post
    Quite looking forward to the results of upgrades to telescope and related instrumentation which I think is fairly imminent. The search for goldilocks planets may well produce some interesting data.

On an aesthetic note I live outside major urban centres now and a clear night in autumn is marvellous for a view of the moon and stars.

Living in various urban areas I did for many years it was rare to see anything other than an orange glow. Very much appreciating it.
    There's quite a difference alright for the naked eye.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Nice explanation of binary stars here from the Australian National Telescope Facility Introduction to Binary Stars

Also a nice site from UCL on binary stars and astrophysics in general Massive Star Binary Systems | UCL Astrophysics Group - UCL - London's Global University
    Last edited by Lumpy Talbot; 6th December 2018 at 07:16 PM.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

The Life Cycle of Stars on YouTube from the Institute of Physics The Life Cycle of Stars - YouTube
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Busier week than usual in the space nerd front. It is believed that scientists have found evidence of two black holes merging. Scientists Observe Two Supermassive Black Holes Merging | IFLScience

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

That's nothing. I wonder have they heard about the control and supply agreement between FG and FF at all.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The James Webb telescope is scheduled for launch in 2021, if it ever gets off the ground. It's already over 10 years late and has been plagued by human error and it has already cost about 9 times more than initially estimated.
    desperately coming to terms with my burrito addiction

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Ah it'll get there alright. Just hope someone remembers to take the dust cap off the lens or there could be a few embarrassing meetings afterwards.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ah it'll get there alright. Just hope someone remembers to take the dust cap off the lens or there could be a few embarrassing meetings afterwards.
    Hehe, I've done that

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast