Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will late middle aged gardai hired after age 35 do front line policing or hide under desks?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Columbo, the world's greatest detective, was neither young nor fit at his crime solving peak.
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Yes but they have to work nights,weekends and bank holidays etc to receive that payment.
    People in other careers will be tucked up in their beds or in the pub or celebrating Christmas with their children.
    Which is in some ways why you can't even compare the careers in terms of benefits and have to accept that it will be a personal preference. Garda work has anti-social hours (allowing that oncall exists as a concept for IT), can be personally risky and effectively ties you to an employer for life. IT works is tenuous, when working out of hours happens it is often unplanned, has relatively poor promotion prospects and usually comes with a shitty defined contribution pension. Individuals will have to decide what suits them best.
    Economic Left/Right: -2.88 (down 3.63 since the financial crash)
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.18

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    Which is in some ways why you can't even compare the careers in terms of benefits and have to accept that it will be a personal preference. Garda work has anti-social hours (allowing that oncall exists as a concept for IT), can be personally risky and effectively ties you to an employer for life. IT works is tenuous, when working out of hours happens it is often unplanned, has relatively poor promotion prospects and usually comes with a shitty defined contribution pension. Individuals will have to decide what suits them best.
    Absolutely agree.
    The likes of pat however look at pay alone and then complain how a security guard is on less than a guard or some similar guff.
    Life is hard
    That's why no-one survives

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    I don't know any IT professional who gets a company car. Not one.
    A lot of car allowances about, slightly more beneficial in terms of BIC to a company car, unless you really are on the road for work every day.
    "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor", Desmond Tutu

Politics.ie Member amsterdemmetje's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freewillie View Post
    It's a pity that all the policing experts are employed as security men or taxi drivers. Now that old timers can join maybe the "experts" will throw their hat in the ring
    Indeed , one thing i have learned is that half the Gardai in Ireland cant put handcuffs on people when necessary and the other half are scared shyteless when trying to ,which half do you belong to Wee Wiilly ,both id say?
    Gemakzucht.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by firefly123 View Post
    Yes but they have to work nights,weekends and bank holidays etc to receive that payment.
    People in other careers will be tucked up in their beds or in the pub or celebrating Christmas with their children.
    Thats the choice we all make whatever job we do in fairness including yours FF . Im not knocking what they get for what they do but the ones bitching about their lot should get over themselves they are paid well enough.
    Gemakzucht.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by puffin View Post
    Another Templemore Reject
    You wouldn't of caught me near Templemore, had enough cop on to see what they were accepting and letting out the gate barley trained to see how bad a our Keystones are . Ask Maurice McCabe, ask the family of murdered Sylvia Roche Kelly.
    Gemakzucht.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amsterdemmetje View Post
    You wouldn't of caught me near Templemore, had enough cop on to see what they were accepting and letting out the gate barley trained to see how bad a our Keystones are . Ask Maurice McCabe, ask the family of murdered Sylvia Roche Kelly.
    " you wouldn't of"
    "barley trained"
    Did you fail the English exam?
    Someday, and that day may never come, I will call on you to do a service for me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Verhofstadt View Post
    Columbo, the world's greatest detective, was neither young nor fit at his crime solving peak.
    Not forgetting Miss Marple
    Someday, and that day may never come, I will call on you to do a service for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Biffo View Post
    A finance or IT professional who's over 35 and not earning more than €50k a year, plus some perks like company car, health insurance, gym membership, employer contribution to your pension, share options, etc. probably isn't very good at his job.

Even a mediocre professional at that age would surely think twice before abandoning a nice comfortable office job for the chance to be kicked and spat upon by a mob in somewhere like Jobstown and then be abused in the press and social media for the privilege.
    There are pros and cons. Your argument probably holds up in relationship to finance and IT workers, particularly in Dublin. They are some of the most highly skilled and highly paid of private sector workers. Still, when it's them that have to be used as the point of comparison, then we know we're probably not talking peanuts. And there are many sectors not as well paid. Sure, there are downsides and unsocial aspects to Garda life, but I suspect it's not a continual "Jobstown" (the fact that video footage was such in stark conflict with written and other Garda testimony during that trial is worrying also). Nurses and Gardaí aren't the only occupations with their crappier aspects. If this conversation were taking place in the UK, then I'd probably generally agree with your points. Our Gardaí are well-paid though (an average of €68.9k isn't bad).
    γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast