Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Social Media causes Murder trial at Central Criminal Court to collapse

Default Social Media causes Murder trial at Central Criminal Court to collapse

Understandably this is being treated with great disgust and concern, by RTE.

Apparently, some comments on social media were viewed by five members of a jury, while the jury was considering its verdict.

5 members of the jury saw the comments and they were discussed by the jury today.

Understandably, the judge had to dismiss the jury.

Presumably there will be calls for the Dail to act?

One more thing...the broadcast was actually on RTE's Prime Time, last night. Nothing to do with social media.

The rest of the above is true, except for the bit about RTE taking this seriously.

It's currently the 5th story on its website...

Trial collapse over Prime Time discussion of other case

Just past this breaking news...

Cardi B announces split from husband Offset
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5 members of the jury had watched the Prime Time programme and discussed it with other jury members, not read comments about it on social media.

I feel dreadful for both families involved but the judge had no choice in order to ensure a fair trial. RTE have some brass neck all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
    5 members of the jury had watched the Prime Time programme and discussed it with other jury members, not read comments about it on social media.

I feel dreadful for both families involved but the judge had no choice in order to ensure a fair trial. RTE have some brass neck all the same.
    Not sure if you read the OP to the end...
    I have no money, but I love my life.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The lawyer who was on PT is always very informative, as he was last night.

It's a difficult one: when do you discuss the problem of the defence of "losing it"? There is almost always a murder trial on or about to begin that will include that defence.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

From the linked RTÉ (there's a síneadh fada on the "e", SiL) article....

The jury had begun deliberating yesterday on whether the man, who stabbed a musician on either side of his neck, was guilty of murder or manslaughter.
    Ya know, I could see the stabbing on the one side of the neck being defended as provocation, but once you take the knife out and go again on the other side, manslaughter becomes slaughtering a man, i.e. Murder.

To the title of the OP, Primetime is more of a traditional media outlet, rather than a social media one.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In any case it's a nice little bonus for our legal friends. An unbudgeted for retrial will cover a few extras in Barbados
    Someday, and that day may never come, I will call on you to do a service for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

There was a not disimilar case 2 weeks ago where a paper stuck together 5 rape cases for thematic comment. Except the trigger and focus for the article was 1 case that was still live. Thus obviously prejudicing it,leading to dismissal.

Be smarter people.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    There was a not disimilar case 2 weeks ago where a paper stuck together 5 rape cases for thematic comment. Except the trigger and focus for the article was 1 case that was still live. Thus obviously prejudicing it,leading to dismissal.

Be smarter people.
    When is there not a rape or murder or attempted murder case being tried?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyFoley View Post
    When is there not a rape or murder or attempted murder case being tried?
    Christmas.
    History will record with the greatest astonishment that those who had the most to lose did the least to prevent its happening.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Danger View Post
    Christmas.
    Should the Prime Time Special be on before or after 'Home Alone'?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast