Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 271

Thread: 'Election 18' - RTE1

  1. #221
    Politics.ie Member making waves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    18,867
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Ehhh, no. Where did you get that idea?
    The IPP were dead in the water - they were in rapid decline and never recovered - but that is not the same as claiming that SF had the support of the 'whole country'.
    Separate Church and State

  2. #222
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    47,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    The IPP were dead in the water - they were in rapid decline and never recovered - but that is not the same as claiming that SF had the support of the 'whole country'.
    I never said they weren't. Please read my post.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

  3. #223
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4,757
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by making waves View Post
    This is nonsense - there is zero evidence that these constituencies were unopposed because 'support was so high for SF' - there is evidence that other candidates didn't run because they were pressured/intimidated by SF.
    Prove it - all 25 uncontested seats that Sinn Fein won.

    Good luck with that.

    In the meantime - British government propaganda formulated in Dublin Castle and circulated through a censored press alleged that republican militants had threatened potential candidates to discourage non-Sinn Féiners from running.

  4. #224
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    723
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    SF in general did very badly in Ulster in the 1918 election. Nationalist voters may well have been anticipating how they might suffer if separatism were to be the dominant political creed.
    This area was the only one where the IPP had had serious opposition -- the unionists, obviously -- and hence had a well-oiled machine.

  5. #225
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    47,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leinsterview View Post
    This area was the only one where the IPP had had serious opposition -- the unionists, obviously -- and hence had a well-oiled machine.
    I don't think it was that simple. Nationalists in what's now Northern Ireland were more on the front line of sectarianism, and as such feared (correctly as it turned out), the likely effect on their lives of partition and political violence if SF followed through on what they were saying.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

  6. #226
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    17,385
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    I don't think it was that simple. Nationalists in what's now Northern Ireland were more on the front line of sectarianism, and as such feared (correctly as it turned out), the likely effect on their lives of partition and political violence if SF followed through on what they were saying.
    There was an unofficial pact between SF and the IPP in a lot of northern constituencies (including Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan) where they stepped aside for one another, depending on who was best placed to defeat the local Unionist.

    Are you actually trying to blame SF for Orange violent supremacism and the nature of the Orange statelet? Yard, get up, etc.

  7. #227
    Politics.ie Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    17,385
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    Are people really arguing that the IPP party was not dead in the water as soon as the results came out
    It's p.ie, plenty of nutters here who are perfectly happy to argue black is purple and down is hippopotamus as long as they perceive themselves as sticking it to whatever their favourite obsessive hobby-horse is

  8. #228
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Periwig shop
    Posts
    51,022
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PAGE61 View Post
    Are people really arguing that the IPP party was not dead in the water as soon as the results came out
    It didnt help that John Dillon was insulting SF voters as poorly educated, as if somehow this was the pre-1918 electorate with the property qualifications that prevented the working class from voting. Under the Representation of the People Act 1918 all men over 21 had the vote and all women over 30.
    "A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle

  9. #229
    Politics.ie Member PAGE61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SideysGhost View Post
    It's p.ie, plenty of nutters here who are perfectly happy to argue black is purple and down is hippopotamus as long as they perceive themselves as sticking it to whatever their favourite obsessive hobby-horse is
    A good way of putting it.. Some of them are as mad as those running the country

  10. #230
    Politics.ie Member darkhorse4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    2,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    None of which disproves my point.
    I don't accept that the Provos actually targetted civilians but there was an acceptance in the later years that civilians could be unintended victims of their actions. There were also fnck ups resulting in warnings not getting through or being blocked which resulted in civilian deaths.
    On the other side, the British army did target civilians starting with Bloody Sunday which kicked off the whole thing - and was followed by many other outrages such as the Dublin Monaghan bombings, Loughlinisland, etc.
    The Orange State targetted the entire nationalist community economically, politically and militarily - which made retaliation in-kind inevitable.
    Palestinians - the battering ram of the Arab world against the Jewish State.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •