Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Hungary: Resistance to the Orban far-right regime emerges into the open ....

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    I do not think the "tide has turned". Only that autocrats and fascists may not find their "revolutions" as easy as they expected. Surprising not all people think the sun ,moon and stars shines from the local strongman's ass.
    Still upset that Hillary Clinton did not win in 2016?
    Regards...jmcc

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    The EU is doing no such thing. It is the Commission.
    Unelected bureaucrats. There's a democracy deficit with the EU and it will eventually destroy it.
    Regards...jmcc

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcc View Post
    Unelected bureaucrats. There's a democracy deficit with the EU and it will eventually destroy it.

EU commissioners are proposed by national governments and selected by the president of the European Commission. New legislation proposed by the Commission still has to be agreed by the member states and passed by the European Parliament, which is directly elected by EU voters. So it's misleading to say unelected bureaucrats make decisions in the EU.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by owedtojoy View Post
    There is a thread for this.

I do not think the "tide has turned". Only that autocrats and fascists may not find their "revolutions" as easy as they expected. Surprising not all people think the sun ,moon and stars shines from the local strongman's ass.
    Ive a shocking bit of news for you ....it is possible to dislike Trump , Orban and Brexit ...whilst equally be scathing about the EU, Macron Merkel, its decisions and its directions.
    Its called being in the centre ..........

Except for binary extremist snowflakes like you and your ilk of course for whom any criticism of your beloved EU means fascism and extremism
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sic transit View Post
    EU commissioners are proposed by national governments and selected by the president of the European Commission. New legislation proposed by the Commission still has to be agreed by the member states and passed by the European Parliament, which is directly elected by EU voters. So it's misleading to say unelected bureaucrats make decisions in the EU. [/SIZE]
    Yeah ..thats the theory ...the reality is very very different

E.g. In theory , the HSE , The Gardai ,Tusla , the civil service and every state agency answers to a minister appointed by those elected to the Dail and is the answerable by the rest of the elected Dail so is democratically accountable .....but only a fool who hasn't spent more than 5 minutes in Ireland thinks that's the way it works
    Is there any Incompetence Scandal or Corruption that would actually make the Irish electorate wake up ....It seems not, so screw em

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

EU commissioners are proposed by national governments and selected by the president of the European Commission. New legislation proposed by the Commission still has to be agreed by the member states and passed by the European Parliament, which is directly elected by EU voters. So it's misleading to say unelected bureaucrats make decisions in the EU. [/SIZE]
    I reckon with those 3 degrees of separation from the actual citizens, that's about 60% democratic then.
    Coincidentally, that is the same as your relationship to a banana.

Politics.ie Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would rather be represented by the elected officials from my own country. EU commissioners are usually old worn out former politicians who come to Brussels for anonymity and the gravy train, a reward late in life to fill their pockets.
    Who is this EU foreign minister swanning around? I didn't elect her and she certainly doesn't represent me. I'm delighted to hear that the United States downgraded this farce to kindergarten level, as deserved.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112