Follow @PoliticsIE
 
 
 
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 121

Thread: Celebrity gay stuff: is homophobia OK if you have a famous gay friend?

  1. #11
    Politics.ie Member Beachcomber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    9,880
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    Yeah that’s the problem. You can deal with this stuff directly, it happens loads of sports stars who wrote dumb stuff at 17 and it comes out 6 years later.

    I’m sorry, I was an immature idiot, I’ve grown up now and recognise the words of a dumb kid. I trust people will judge me for the man I am today, not the boy I used to be.

    You say that and this goes away.

    Correct.

    Deal with it consistently and people will believe you. Over the years Hart has tried a mix of initially challenging the fact that it was homophobia at all (using the usual excuse of "hey, it's just comedy") to issuing non-apologies.

    He's now playing the "why do these haters keep bringing this up?" card. On the basis that only trolls would go after someone for this.

    No doubt he will play the race card at some point.
    satisfied with frugal comfort

  2. #12
    Politics.ie Member Sync's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    28,562
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    He's now playing the "why do these haters keep bringing this up?" card. On the basis that only trolls would go after someone for this.
    And that's the really objectionable bit to me, it's very similar to what Spacey was doing using his sexuality as an excuse for his ongoing behaviour. They're not trolls, they're not haters, they're judging you for things you said. They're not making stuff up.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

  3. #13
    Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    5,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

    Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.

    As for his supposed on stage jokes where is the joke in saying:
    "that if his son played with a doll house, he’d “break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’ ?
    I have said worse in my day about gays, straights, travellers etc...
    Just because he says these out loud doesn't mean that others mightnt be thinking the same thing.
    Did people laugh?
    Brendan O'Carroll called gays queers in one episode. It was a joke. Big deal.
    Ravaging liberalism is Irelands new modern version of the intolerant RCC of the 1950's.

  4. #14
    Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Letterkenny
    Posts
    5,759
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

    Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.

    As for his supposed on stage jokes where is the joke in saying:
    "that if his son played with a doll house, he’d “break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’ ?
    I have said worse in my day about gays, straights, travellers etc... and it was just for a laugh.
    You need to accept that people say things, people find things funny, free speech cannot be censored because the gay community doesn't agree with it, people can't be pulled over the coals because of something they said years ago is now deemed offensive that just looks like a group of people are targeting others that don't agree with their point of view and therefore are rightly targets to be taken down.
    Just because he says these out loud doesn't mean that others mightnt be thinking the same thing.
    Did people laugh?
    Brendan O'Carroll called gays queers in one episode. It was a joke. Big deal. He isn't homophobic. He is just poking fun outa it.

    Mrs. Browns Boys - BBC One - YouTube
    Ravaging liberalism is Irelands new modern version of the intolerant RCC of the 1950's.

  5. #15
    Politics.ie Member O'Sullivan Bere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    I have said worse in my day about gays, straights, travellers etc... and it was just for a laugh.
    You need to accept that people say things, people find things funny, free speech cannot be censored because the gay community doesn't agree with it, people can't be pulled over the coals because of something they said years ago is now deemed offensive that just looks like a group of people are targeting others that don't agree with their point of view and therefore are rightly targets to be taken down.
    Just because he says these out loud doesn't mean that others mightnt be thinking the same thing.
    Did people laugh?
    Brendan O'Carroll called gays queers in one episode. It was a joke. Big deal. He isn't homophobic. He is just poking fun outa it.

    Mrs. Browns Boys - BBC One - YouTube
    I've no time for PC gesture politics. That said, I've likewise no time for a-holes that falsely grievance-monger behind PC accusations because they feel superior and entitled to act the maggot regarding 'others' and cry and decry being held accountable for it.

    It's one thing to laugh *with someone* and quite another to laugh *at someone* regarding ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc...context is key.

  6. #16
    Politics.ie Member O'Sullivan Bere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    14,102
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    To be fair this was 8-10 years ago though. His homophobia was directed against men rather than lesbians, so perhaps it doesn't hit home as much for Ellen. It would be odd for the liberal Oscars to be represented by someone who has publicly said these things. Then again people can be educated and perhaps those are no longer his views.
    Well, let's also note that anti-LGBT men often don't 'count' XXX hot females-only porn, the porn or fantasy or reality of a FMF threesome with themselves the male in the midst, etc. Quite a convenient hypocrisy there.

    No argument that LGBT issues have been an evolving issue in recent times. The question is whether or not he's evolved, and he's made the bed he's laying in, pardon the pun.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the secretary View Post
    I am getting fed up listening to the gay lobby.
    Can you not just accept that you are the same as everyone else, take a joke from time to time as we all do and just f u c king get on with your lives.
    Which comedians have routines about how awful it would be if their son turned out straight?
    Repeal the 27th.

  8. #18
    Moderator NYCKY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    The Kingdom
    Posts
    13,290
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    What joke was there when Hart called another person a "fat fag"?

    Hart has engaged in homophobic name-calling 100 times in tweets. There was no jokes involved - just infantile name calling.

    As for his supposed on stage jokes where is the joke in saying:
    "that if his son played with a doll house, he’d “break it over his head & say n my voice ‘stop that’s gay.’ ?
    How long ago were these tweets?

  9. #19
    Politics.ie Member Dame_Enda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Periwig shop
    Posts
    51,043
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
    So you agree with him that it was OK to be homophobic "back then"?

    Wise up - 8-10 years isn't that long ago.
    No but the US has a long history of homophobia in some states. Remember during the Bush admin there were referendums in many states banning gay marriage including in liberal Oregon and California. Hart may have been reflecting the times.
    Be the Wall.

  10. #20
    Politics.ie Member The OD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Axis Mundi
    Posts
    11,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    In a world where nobody plays a blind bit of interest in your sexual orientation, its possible that 'jokes' like his would be overlooked - like making fun of blondes or curly haired people or even left handers.

    In a world where certain countries will kill you for your orientation, where people go around calling for 'fags' to be burned or hung, protest at their funerals saying they are burning in hell and equate certain orientations with criminal depravity then no, 'jokes' like this cannot be overlooked as they feed into a deeper, darker worldview that needs to be consigned to the litter bin of history.

    Flip this one around - how forgiving would someone like Kevin Hart be of people like Michael Richards of Seinfeld fame?

    As for 'Ellen', a utterly vacuous moron who seems to think having a successful TV show grants some deeper wisdom beyond the rest of us.

    It doesn't and your show is sh1t love.
    Let's all raise a glass of frog milk to the ancient festival of Fargaltide!

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •