Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Taoiseach visits our lads in the EU Army, somewhere in Africa

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    Liar

UN Security Council
    Resolution 2071

United Nations Security Council Resolution 2071 was unanimously adopted on 12 October 2012.[1] It related to the 2012 Northern Mali conflict and mandated that an actionable plan for military intervention be made by ECOWAS and the African Union within 45 days

or have we joined the Economic Union of West Africa too ?
    .....read the resolution. Or: Read what you pasted. It mandates that a plan for intervention be made by ECOWAS and the AU. Not that they were the only ones allowed to carry out intervention as part of that plan. The EU is mentioned in the resolution very clearly.

Why do you do this? I mean it's another thread in itself really, but you've chosen not to read what you've pasted, or the resolution itself. I'm fascinated by that lack of thinking.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by recedite View Post
    First thing to notice, this is NOT a UN blue helmet mission, of the kind Irish troops have been involved in for decades.
    It is a training mission for the fledgling EU army which is in its training phase, currently known as EUTM Mali.
    The current commander is Brig. General Mirow of the Wehrmacht (Germany), who recently took over from Brig. General Guibert (France)
    The Wehrmacht? You realize it's 2019 and not 1940, right?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Darling View Post
    Our A&Es are like 3rd world counties. don't think so. Staff in 3rd world counties can only dream of the money our "health professionals get away with.
    Anyone who says our health service is "third world" has clearly never been in the Third World.
    "So how are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information, by the way?" "Sorry, I can't talk about that"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I support this mission. There is much a prosperous democracy can do to teach the locals about how to stabilise their political, security and economic environment.
    Be the Wall.

Politics.ie Member Jack O Neill's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hiding behind a poster View Post
    Anyone who says our health service is "third world" has clearly never been in the Third World.
    anyone who thinks our health system is working is a stupid stupid blueshirt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Taoiseach begins African trip with Mali engagements | Irish Examiner

Seeing as we joined the EU defense pact called PESCO around this time last year (somewhat secretly, it has to be said) our Leader has now deemed it appropriate to visit our lads abroad.

First thing to notice, this is NOT a UN blue helmet mission, of the kind Irish troops have been involved in for decades.
    It is a training mission for the fledgling EU army which is in its training phase, currently known as EUTM Mali.
    The current commander is Brig. General Mirow of the Wehrmacht (Germany), who recently took over from Brig. General Guibert (France)

This whole region consists of former French colonies, which they never quite let go of entirely.
    French troops have been operating here for decades, engaging in anti terrorist operations, regime change, or whatever France thought was necessary at any given time.
    The current French operation is called Operation Barkhane. It covers Mali as well as neighbouring Chad and Niger. So depending on whether they are wearing a Barkhane badge, or a EUTM badge, the French soldiers could be on either mission. Or perhaps both, who knows?
    Anyway, maintaining control over the destiny of former colonies is hard and dangerous work, so they are very glad of our assistance.

Next stop on Leo's January Sunshine trip is Ethiopia, where we fund a portion of the social welfare and health systems.
    If he is lucky, the Ethiopians might honour our Taoiseach with a fly-by of their 14 state of the art Sukhoi SU-27 jet fighters. Russia sells these for around 30-40 million dollars apiece, depending on the spec (it goes without saying any self respecting fly-boy would require leather seats)

As for me, well I'm not going anywhere, but I'll be eating extra mandarins this month.
    For the extra vitamin C.
    I know very well that the hospital A&Es are always as bad as any third world country during the month of January, so I can't allow myself to get any way sick at this time of year.
    Great to see. Roll on an EU army of which we will all be proud.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dame_Enda View Post
    I support this mission. There is much a prosperous democracy can do to teach the locals about how to stabilise their political, security and economic environment.
    Exactly. Aside from "It's the right thing to do", less strife in Africa reduces the amounts of boats coming into Italy and Greece, results in increased economic prosperity which represents a better trade partner for Europe. It's massively in our collective interest for them to do well.
    I'm living in America, and in America, you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now f***ing pay me.

Politics.ie Member Skin the Goat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack O Neill View Post
    anyone who thinks our health system is working is a stupid stupid blueshirt
    If this represents what passes for reasoned mature debate, then - sadly - it would appear that our education system is coming up short as well.
    A flea can bite the bottom of the pope in Rome

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brughahaha View Post
    Facts clearly being things you and Sync politically agree with , rather than actual "Facts" FFS!
    So there is no UN mandate? We have invaded Mali?

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When the US organises a mission to "restore order" (regime change) to places like Iraq or Afghanistan it will usually invite along a few others to give it the impression of an "international coalition". Georgia usually volunteers for these, because it is desperate to move away from the Russian sphere of influence and into the EU and Nato sphere. Also its military is funded by the US.
    So just because the likes of Georgia and Albania were invited along does not make this an international coalition.

This is a mission conceived in Brussels, at the behest of the French, which follows along similar lines to what the French army has been doing solo in the region for many decades. Controlling which warlords are in power in the French sphere of influence.
    It is NOT a UN blue helmet peacekeeping mission, of the type Irish troops used to get involved in, when we were a neutral country.
    These activities in the French controlled Sahel region are not any of our business.
    If they were engaging in conflict against whatever enemies of the Mali government, then I'd absolutely agree, breach of neutrality and all that. They are not, they are there solely to train soldiers of the Mali government along with 21 other countries under the EU mission. And have been doing do since before Pesco. If you think they shouldn't be doing that either, that's fine as your opinion.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast