Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: France & Germany to sign Aachen Treaty - core within a core?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Two sovereign countries making decisions for the rest of the EU more like. I'd fear that this will quickly become a farce with the two behemoth countries starting to throw their weight around.
    It was how the whole European model emerged, to make sure they didn't get involved with conflicts with each other again by signing agreements. Really no big deal unless the acronym EU makes you twitch violently.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Clanrickard View Post
    Let them at it. Two sovereign countries making such decisions is a matter for themselves. We need to be building alliances too with like minded countries.
    Well put. I quite like the New Hanseatic League 'membership' (particularly due to having Finnish in-laws) but the rallying points are rather dry and uninspiring.

New_Hanseatic_League_Members.png
    I stand with two thousand years of darkness and bafflement and hunger behind me... and I couldn't give a ha'penny jizz for your internet-assembled philosophy. Evil Vicar

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Catalpast View Post
    The perception of the EU as a Franco-German dominated project is problematic

It has always been thus

- I'm amazed you are only noticing this now.

The Strategic implications of this are profound.

Thanks for the Info BTW
    With the Brits leaving and our veto on many issues lost(via the Lisbon treaty) we are in a bad place.
    We appreciate the move by the Government today and remind ourselves that it is a bail-out by taxpayers for the banks. Pearse Doherty

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They actually named it the Aachen Treaty as well the madmen lol.

For those who don't know Aachen was the political capital of the Empire of Charlemagne.

Red flags! Red flags everywhere!
    Love me. Cherish me. I'm a unionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disillusioned democrat View Post
    Two sovereign countries making decisions for the rest of the EU more like. I'd fear that this will quickly become a farce with the two behemoth countries starting to throw their weight around.
    They are not making any decisions for anyone else but themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by farnaby View Post
    Well put. I quite like the New Hanseatic League 'membership' (particularly due to having Finnish in-laws) but the rallying points are rather dry and uninspiring.

New_Hanseatic_League_Members.png
    Dry and uninspiring is good. It stops people getting ahead of themselves.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Reading the agreement.

It says that France and Germany will pay for more interconnected infrastructure at the border region. How is France going to pay for this without breaking EU rules (again)!? One rule for some, one rule for others.

Also I look forward to seeing France and Germany harmonise their economic policies <Grabs popcorn>.
    Love me. Cherish me. I'm a unionist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Garza View Post
    Reading the agreement.

It says that France and Germany will pay for more interconnected infrastructure at the border region. How is France going to pay for this without breaking EU rules (again)!? One rule for some, one rule for others.

Also I look forward to seeing France and Germany harmonise their economic policies <Grabs popcorn>.
    File this under aspirational.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by recedite View Post
    Also, I see from this that France will push for Germany to get a permanent seat on the UN security council.
    In other words, the EU will push for it, and therefore we will. Nice to know we have a position on this.
    No doubt Leo will be announcing it soon.
    There will be one seat at the UN for the EU

- jointly shared by 'Frankonia'
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The Treaty of Aachen is aimed at reversing the Treaty of Verdun [843] which broke up the Carolingian Empire

The Treaty of Verdun, signed in August 843, was the first of the treaties that divided the Carolingian Empire into three kingdoms among the three surviving sons of Louis the Pious, who was the son of Charlemagne. The treaty, signed in Verdun-sur-Meuse, ended the three-year Carolingian Civil War.
    Treaty of Verdun - Wikipedia
    If you can convince a People to engage in the mass elimination of their own offspring - you can probably get them to do anything...http://irelandinhistory.blogspot.ie/

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What a great day for Germany and France. What a great day for Europe.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast