Follow @PoliticsIE

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Renaming of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Renaming of Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda

Didn't see an existing thread, and not exactly sure this belongs under Health, but will leave further sifting in the hands of the mods.

There is a campaign afoot by the hospital management to rename Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. Unusually for this sort of thing, it seems to be running into significant headwinds both among the staff and among the local population.

Heartening to see I must say. Where an institution is a new build then it makes sense to name it neutrally. However with these established institutions, where the name has achieved verbal shorthand, and where it calls to mind the huge efforts made to have it built in the first place, why rename?

Thankfully, in the people of Drogheda, the culture warriors seem to have picked an opponent who isn't going to just roll over.

Outrage as Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda proposes name change - Irish Mirror Online
    We are all born mad. Some remain so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Estragon View Post
    Didn't see an existing thread, and not exactly sure this belongs under Health, but will leave further sifting in the hands of the mods.

There is a campaign afoot by the hospital management to rename Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda. Unusually for this sort of thing, it seems to be running into significant headwinds both among the staff and among the local population.

Heartening to see I must say. Where an institution is a new build then it makes sense to name it neutrally. However with these established institutions, where the name has achieved verbal shorthand, and where it calls to mind the huge efforts made to have it built in the first place, why rename?

Thankfully, in the people of Drogheda, the culture warriors seem to have picked an opponent who isn't going to just roll over.

Outrage as Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda proposes name change - Irish Mirror Online
    There is not as much outrage as people might imagine. It is a pretty logical step to rename it. I see Ged Nash in the middle of it, good politics on his part. Regional is a reminder to locals that it is the only one. They'll still call it the Lourdes regardless of its name.
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Ernest Hemingway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In case you hadn't noticed, Christianity is under attack again in Ireland, nothing new about this of course - most of our ancestors will have been educated in hedge schools - but this time the attack is vicious and it is sustained and they will not be happy until the Faith of Our Fathers has been fully eradicated and you have been turned into a communist loving zombie and yes, they are communists but the mistake you are making is expecting them to tell you they are communists, but commies don't operate like that, they always wear a caring and reasonable face but their hearts are dark and their motives not for a better Ireland which is why we fight them all day every day

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why on earth you would want to preserve the name of a hospital with the shameful reputation Lourdes has i have no idea.

The Michael Neary hospital ? a fitting tribute to the man and the staff who deliberately removed all those medical records to cover up for the butcher

Bulldozing that sh*thole to the ground would be the best outcome for patients

Surgeon of shame - Independent.ie

Man allegedly abused by doctor received €70,000 from Drogheda hospital

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ruman View Post
    Why on earth you would want to preserve the name of a hospital with the shameful reputation Lourdes has i have no idea.

The Michael Neary hospital ? a fitting tribute to the man and the staff who deliberately removed all those medical records to cover up for the butcher

Bulldozing that sh*thole to the ground would be the best outcome for patients

Surgeon of shame - Independent.ie

Man allegedly abused by doctor received ‚70,000 from Drogheda hospital

One rogue medic does not define any hospital, especially one with such a long history serving its community with devotion and honour. By keeping the hospital's name, we pay tribute to the thousands of staff who have worked and work at the hospital in tough conditions under huge pressure, many paid little, and for nuns there was no pay at all, just the daily satisfaction of doing God's work, and we should never forget them, instead we should thank God for everything they did and continue doing for the thousands of families who have benefited from their care

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Personally, I think all abortion factories should drop any religious reference
    Beer is proof that God loves us - Benjamin Franklin

Politics.ie Member the secretary's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It is now a baby murdering factory that the Nazis would be proud off.
    The name is completely irrelevant.
    Ravaging liberalism is Irelands new modern version of the intolerant RCC of the 1950's.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was delivered by Neary, and I admit I was bemused by the footage of a protest march during the week. Bit of a mystery to me. It's always been referred to as
    the lourdes or the lourdes hospital.
    I can only speculate that people above a certain age simply don't like change.

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

It's just so boring, all this 1950s style bumlickery of a nonsensical cult. I don't know any ladies in Lourdes so what the whole 'Our' is about I have no idea.

Should change its morbid death cult bulllshyte name to 'Wardie McWardface' or at least something that isn't redolent of the national mental servitude of the past.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Politics.ie Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Or at least something that would make sick people smile, FFS. There's enough pomposity in the world as it is.
    Ecclesia oportet destrui

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast