£1.5m it costs to police parades in Scotland

CastleRay

Ok you are obessive, and a bit of a stalker.
You started a thread and yet again it's about the Orange Order. I don't think you realise your obsession with them; just pointing it to you. You'll thank me eventually.

The_SR

Should orginisations who hold events pay the cost to police them?
Do they not already?

But objectively speaking, technically it's the counter demonstrations that need most of the policing.

blinding

I saw an orange Order march in Glasgow one day . To be honest no one seemed interested .

devonish

I saw an orange Order march in Glasgow one day . To be honest no one seemed interested .
Same here, a small march down George Street in the middle of a working day, it did seem bizarre. I'm pretty sure that football clubs make some contribution towards policing costs at football matches, not sure how much or if it just relates to police presence inside the ground.
It's a difficult one to address fairly as some police presence is required irrespective of the type of parade, size or location, it would also have to be applied to those who wish to hold protest rallies of any sort and could be seen as a restriction on the right to protest.

blinding

I think there may have been a policeman or two helping with traffic really . I was on a bus and I would say that I was the most interested person around . Maybe there was going to be some people meeting it later on . I suppose a policeman or two for all the marches would cost a bit if it was all added up .

I wonder are most or all Orange Order marches in Scotland engaging so little interest .

Perhaps they need a few People stopping them ! ! !

DexterGreen22

It emerged yesterday that the Scottish branch of the order will be told to make a contribution to the estimated annual £1.5m it costs to police parades in Scotland, or a new law restricting the number of parades could be invoked.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/orange-order-to-be-billed-for-policing-scottish-parades-28493487.html

I'm no Unionist and not someone who is ever going to be turning out to watch an Orange Walk but whenever I see them in my part of the world they seem to have quite a lot of supporters turn out during the late afternoon marches at the weekend during the summer.

Some of the marches in the morning don't seem to be quite as well attended. They are entitled to freedom of assembly but expecting Glasgow to host 250 parades, approximate average of every 1.5 days, a year at the expense of the taxpayer is a bit much.

Some of those parades in Glasgow are quite low key and don't require much policing and some of them are like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2aFgN_t6qE

McSlaggart

Do they not already?

But objectively speaking, technically it's the counter demonstrations that need most of the policing.
In Scotland they dont and I have not heard of the Orange order paying? I in Ireland. I think most sporting orginisations must pay. In England the bill can be quite expensive for the premeriship.

Cruimh

More cultural warfare from our shinnerbot.

£1.5 million a Year? To put things in Perspective - Money wasted on Casement park "Refurbishment" so far -~ £6.0 million. What was it Dec Kearney said -something along the grounds of if it wasn't for Caral and SF nothing would be done? Estimated Cost from the Met for Policing the Notting Hill Carnival in 2015 - Over £7.7 million.

and £190 Million on that modern Irish Language in just 7 years - mind you, it meant Dec could pull Mary Lou and Michelle's chestnuts out of the fire when they were questioned by someone from TG4

McSlaggart

£1.5 million a Year? To put things in Perspective - Money wasted on Casement park "Refurbishment" so far -~ £6.0 million. What was it Dec Kearney said -something along the grounds of if it wasn't for Caral and SF nothing would be done? Estimated Cost from the Met for Policing the Notting Hill Carnival in 2015 - Over £7.7 million.

and £190 Million on that modern Irish Language in just 7 years - mind you, it meant Dec could pull Mary Lou and Michelle's chestnuts out of the fire when they were questioned by someone from TG4
Just in case you do not understand Scotland is not in Northern Ireland.

The cost of "Tunnel, Drumcree, Twaddel etc" disputes to the Image of Northern Ireland would be priceless.

tokkie

It emerged yesterday that the Scottish branch of the order will be told to make a contribution to the estimated annual £1.5m it costs to police parades in Scotland, or a new law restricting the number of parades could be invoked.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/orange-order-to-be-billed-for-policing-scottish-parades-28493487.html

I don't see 1.5 million as being particularly excessive in this case.

tokkie

Money spent on sport or sporting related facilities or stadia is rarely a waste.

You're clearly being a twat.

CastleRay

In Scotland they dont and I have not heard of the Orange order paying? I in Ireland. I think most sporting orginisations must pay. In England the bill can be quite expensive for the premeriship.
In a democratic country there should be no cost for exercising your democratic freedom. Comparing a multi-million pound organisation hosting an event like a football match for commercial gain is an absurd comparison to a community organisation exercising their freedom of assembly.

McSlaggart

I don't see 1.5 million as being particularly excessive in this case.
I am actually supportive of the parading culture. The cost set out is for Scotland so its probibly much greater for Northern Ireland. What we want is that an agreed way to parade in orginised for the years to come. What we want to arrive at is parades with will require virtually no policing.

tokkie

In a democratic country there should be no cost for exercising your democratic freedom. Comparing a multi-million pound organisation hosting an event like a football match for commercial gain is an absurd comparison to a community organisation exercising their freedom of assembly.
What if exercising your democratic freedom involves oppressing the democratic freedom of another group of people?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies