• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

1 in 20 gay men in the UK infected with HIV (1 in 12 in London), and Dublin????

Beaker

Shocking statistics reported on rates of HIV infection in UK, I wonder what the rate is in Dublin / Ireland

Rise in number contracting HIV - Independent.ie

Clearly all the 'passive' campaigns for safe sex are not working or are ineffective...... Have health officials given up on prevention? Is it now just a case of accepting HIV as an 'occupational' hazzard, and just treat for all life with retroviral drugs..... Who benefits from this strategy?

My feelign would also be that there is a generational profile to HIV infection, with a large cohort of infections from during the AIDS crisis (80's I guess), and also now the younger generation of 20 and 30 somethings.....

macs magic

Those filthy quares.

If they stuck to Adam and Eve scenario's rather than Adam and Steve they wouldn't have so many issues;)

Clanrickard

Those filthy quares.

If they stuck to Adam and Eve scenario's rather than Adam and Steve they wouldn't have so many issues;)
Actually that is true although I get that is not why you posted it.

Druidess

It's clear that the HIV awareness campaign has lost it's potency. This is quite disturbing.

R

Ramps

Shocking but not surprising.

It's almost impossible to have a rational discussion on the topic because the "equality" people are more concerned with getting in their "straight people get it, too blah blah blah".

I must say that my sympathy for people who contract HIV in the West is far, far less than it is for those who are struck down with illnesses for no reason except bad luck.

Sync

Shocking and a far, far more important issue for the "gay community" than "gay marriage".
Hard to refute tbh. I think gay marriage should (and will be passed), but the amount of money and attention spent on the cause would have been better directed towards this issue. A genuinely shocking and disturbing number.

Druidess

Shocking but not surprising.

It's almost impossible to have a rational discussion on the topic because the "equality" people are more concerned with getting in their "straight people get it, too blah blah blah".

I must say that my sympathy for people who contract HIV in the West is far, far less than it is for those who are struck down with illnesses for no reason except bad luck.
There are lots of ways you can get HIV.

I know of cases - yes that is plural - where people have lied about their status and had unprotected sex.

Key is dont have sex without a condom unless you are very sure of someone's status.

R

Ramps

Hard to refute tbh. I think gay marriage should (and will be passed), but the amount of money and attention spent on the cause would have been better directed towards this issue. A genuinely shocking and disturbing number.
But what do people need to know?! Don't share needles and don't have anal sex with strangers. It's not complicated.

Prester Jim

Shocking statistics reported on rates of HIV infection in UK, I wonder what the rate is in Dublin / Ireland

Clearly all the 'passive' campaigns for safe sex are not working or are ineffective...... Have health officials given up on prevention? Is it now just a case of accepting HIV as an 'occupational' hazzard, and just treat for all life with retroviral drugs..... Who benefits from this strategy?

My feelign would also be that there is a generational profile to HIV infection, with a large cohort of infections from during the AIDS crisis (80's I guess), and also now the younger generation of 20 and 30 somethings.....
Christ almighty that is shocking and appalling.
Why has this not been called a crisis and given the resources needed?
for this to happen in a first world country with a strong central govt. and universal health care is stunning.
What went wrong?

44percent

But what do people need to know?! Don't share needles and don't have anal sex with strangers. It's not complicated.
Lol. If you look up the means of contracting HIV you will see it is. To save you time there are more forms of sexual intercourse than anal sex.

Sync

Disregarding the clearly irrelevant (and probably trolling) needles bit:

Publicity campaigns around the need to use protection, having regular checks at least anually.
Pressure govt to have free condoms like they do in SA.
Pressure govt to fund or make tax deductible regular checkups
Push to introduce cheaper generic HIV drugs.

Prester Jim

There are lots of ways you can get HIV.

I know of cases - yes that is plural - where people have lied about their status and had unprotected sex.

Key is dont have sex without a condom unless you are very sure of someone's status.
It definitely falls down mostly to personal responsibility, no doubt about it.
What the govt. should be doing is publicising the numbers widely and in as blatant a manner as the anti-smoking ads.
People need to be shocked into changing their behaviour.

Beaker

Similar messages abound regarding taking excercise, not to smoke and reduce sugar and fat in diet......

The messages need to be reinforced and continually communicated.....

Rural

There are two products I feel should be free: Condoms and sun block.

eyelight

I was told the following by an Irish gay man who lived in San Francisco for a good part of the 1990s.
He said many younger gay men there were deliberately setting out to contract HIV, in an bizarre and misguided effort to be even more gay, if that makes any sense. To fit in with others. Hard to phrase the concept properly as it makes no sense.
They would rationalise that the availability of retro-viral drugs makes this okay, and that they would be safe.

I have no basis for this story other than what this guy told me.

44percent

for this to happen in a first world country with a strong central govt. and universal health care is stunning.
What went wrong?
There are huge pressures on young people to be sexually active. Straight or gay, a lot of that sex is unprotected. The rise in STIs indicates that. I would like to look at the age demographics of recent infection rates: I understood, perhaps inaccurately, that there was an increase in men over 45.

eyelight

What went wrong?
What went wrong?
The toleration and promotion of homosexuality.

If there was a worldwide plague of any other sort the carriers of the disease would be isolated.
As this didn't happen back in the late 70's we are where we are.