• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

10,000 ways to say nothing, by Eamon Gilmore

paulp

I see on Labour's website, there is a press release to say that Eamon has made Labour's 10,000th press release since 2006.
I wonder will they have a press release now to say that they've made 10,001 press releases?

Labour are policy lite, we all know that, but just how lite are they.

We've seen Eamon's posturing on critical items like the Croke Park deal and now on metro North, "I'd push it back, but only a bit, not a big bit, not a small bit, maybe leave it the same, tell me what you want and I'll say it."

I had another poster tell me that labour have detailed policy documents and held up their tourism policy as a fine example, and indeed a hefty 37 page document. I had a quick glance and wanted to see their policy on the current air travel tax that they opposed on introduction. And what's there?

The Labour party calls for the immediate abolition or the significant reduction of the air travel tax.

So, cut the tax from 10 Euro to somewhere between 0 Euro and 9 Euro. Even with a detailed document, on a no brainer issue like abolishing the departure tax, Labour still manage to sit on the fence.

So tell me, who has the job in the labour party of pulling the splinters out of Eamon Gilmore's arse?

darkhorse

They know that once they announce any credible policies, their popularity will plummet

deiseguy

Labour manage to sit on the fence.

So tell me, who has the job in the labour party of pulling the splinters out of Eamon Gilmore's arse?
There's no way that one person could manage that job on their own. He's on the fence so long that he has a nice comfortable spot moulded to the shape of his arse.

firefly123

Well don't vote for him so.
Vote Fianna Fail and allow the madness to continue or vote Fine Gael and have a cadaver as leader with madness lite as the option. Or you can vote for the greenies (!) or whatever hospital in my constituency comb over gombeen independent you choose. Or you can vote for Labour. Simples

Third Recount

10000 Press releases.

Obviously he brought the old printing press from Gardiner St. with him

UcanB

That last post is seriously funny.
Funnily enough I thought Marian Finucane actually gave Gilmore a hard time last Saturday, not that I am opposed to that, just that it was unusual. She even brought up the stickies which made Gilmore really uncomfortable, you could pratically hear him twitching.

deiseguy

Vote Fianna Fail and allow the madness to continue or vote Fine Gael and have a cadaver as leader with madness lite as the option. Or you can vote for the greenies (!) or whatever hospital in my constituency comb over gombeen independent you choose. Or you can vote for Labour. Simples
You may be right but it still doesn't change the fact that Gilmore is a populist coward with huge question marks over his credibility. If he has it so much in the bag according to your analysis why doesn't he make his own and the parties position clear when he is questioned. Every statement he makes contains enough get out clauses to ensure he can never be tied to any position.

paulp

"I can't remember if it was Official Sinn Fein the Workers Party or just The Workers Party"

You see Eamon, the problem with not taking a position on anything all day long is that you forget when you should be clear. In this case, you should have just said it was SF The Workers party as this is an easily verifiable fact, and move on. Now your dithering is the story, not the fact you were part of some party nearly 40 years ago.

Grumpy Jack

10000 Press releases.

Obviously he brought the old printing press from Gardiner St. with him
That last post is seriously funny.
Funnily enough I thought Marian Finucane actually gave Gilmore a hard time last Saturday, not that I am opposed to that, just that it was unusual. She even brought up the stickies which made Gilmore really uncomfortable, you could pratically hear him twitching.
The tragic thing is too many people will not know what that means - and that is another of the reasons that Bertie 'Spoofer' Gilmore is flying high in the polls.

sic transit

I found this in their policy on Sport. It starts out clearly enough and then degenerates into Civil Service waffle. Sir Humphrey is alive and well! What's a recentralisation policy apart a dig at the fact that decentralisation is an unmitigated disaster?

Greater oversight by the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport over the Irish Sports Council and the National Governing Bodies in Sport by way of a "Recentralisation" of policy to the Department
I welcome the opportunity of voting for Labour in principle and may or may not do so based on my interpretation of what they may or may not think it would be a good idea for them to do, given the prevailing wind. But they really need to do a lot better than this rubbish.

firefly123

You may be right but it still doesn't change the fact that Gilmore is a populist coward with huge question marks over his credibility. If he has it so much in the bag according to your analysis why doesn't he make his own and the parties position clear when he is questioned. Every statement he makes contains enough get out clauses to ensure he can never be tied to any position.
Oh god! I don't think he has it in the bag by any means. I understand why people get frustrated by his fence sittiness(its a word, just dont look it up!) but at the same time I understand why labour would not put out policies. One the spin machines of the two main parties would pick over every comment. Find one that is going in a certain direction and then SPINNNNNN! it up to make out that we will all be waving little red books at the dear chairman.
Since the bulk of the irish people (myself included until I started to educate myself) believe journalists in the likes of the independent newspaper we would soon have a red terror.
In saying that Labour does need to stand on its policies and mark itself out as different from the others (good or bad).
What I do like about Gilmore is that he does not act like a complete moron at the drop of a hat ala the other two. I think that is the least we should expect from our leaders.

paulp

Vote Fianna Fail and allow the madness to continue
No thank you.

or vote Fine Gael and have a cadaver as leader with madness lite as the option.
Not sure yet.
Bertie and Charlie had loads of charisma and ruled their party with an iron fist. Not the way foward imo.
I'd rather a cadaver with an empowered cabinet thanks very much.

Or you can vote for the greenies (!) or whatever hospital in my constituency comb over gombeen independent you choose.
Greens - never. I'd prefer if our local hospital was closed - if my Child was sick I'd be heading straight to a Dublin hospital.

Or you can vote for Labour. Simples
Maybe I will, but I'd like to know what I'm voitng for first.

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu
Who made the world

10,000 Press Releases from one party since 2006! It is obvious that this party thinks allot. Why have they not come up with a detailed criticism of the process of Securitisation that has ruined this country? I wonder why!

Securitisation is before NAMA happened. All the financial furore is about Anglo Irish bank etc. Government Bank Guarantees have being issued without any consideration of the potential colossal bad debts that will arise because of Securitisation.

The impact of Securitisation of mortgages is still not being considered. Are we the knowledgeable society that we so represent ourselves to the rest of the world. I do not think so! They are so many economic variables that we refuse to consider, when making decisions:
  • The rapidly ageing society of the EU
  • The fact that that ageing society is frantically on the look out for attractive returns on their investments.
  • The fact that Ireland with its youthful population would be prime targets to exploit
  • The FF government were very pro Property Developers as these were their main financial supporters. Building houses adds nothing to the national wealth.
  • The fact that we linked ourselves to the world’s unscrupulous money markets etc via blind promotion and lack of control of IFSC financiers etc
  • How easy it was for International Financial Buccaneers to be able to weave a web of massive fees and commission income from FF Property Developers, EU pension funds frantically looking for positive investment, a young Irish working population and the greediness of domestic bankers craving for growth in lending. They had the whole thing planned; it was not an accident.
  • The IFB had another major advantage; an Irish political class that had no principles to defend, and were wide open to manipulation in return for what I do not know! A political class that did not see it as PC to heed Christian thinking: "forcing up prices by taking advantage of the ignorance or hardship of another" Catechism of the Catholic Church - PART 3 SECTION 2 CHAPTER 2 ARTICLE 7

There is enough of Securitisation rubbish built up in our banking system, which would call for a State Bank Rescue even if all the subsequent NAMA related borrowing, Ghost estates, unused purchased building land etc never existed. What more is there to say about our knowledgeable society? :eek:

See a Press Release from this guy, who gets no wages, salary from the State, no political party allegiance; but has ten years of CARING for our nation and is not so straitjacked that he refuses to weigh up all variables
Our visionless politicians only move after an explosion or a collapse of the banking system: either case makes no difference to the young men and women under great financial stress; lost their jobs; or the pensioners who lost their life savings in a bank or stock market collapse! My call for an investigation for the true impact of securitisation on Irish banking is still alive; in my opinion our politicians can not yet know this nations true financial liability. There is no sense in looking for scapegoats. We must be united nationally in fending off our creditors and steadying ourselves with God’s help (whichever one you may worship, if any at all) for the fight for our future survival! Irish Press Releases » Call for Bank Enquiry into Asset Backed Securities still active since May 2007
And still, we have not got around to considering this man's plea; as we try to deceive the rest of the world that everything is okay! A little bit of news! The rest of the world is not buying. We can't blame anybody else; we are all in this together, including our friend whose efforts to bring a bit of sense into the Irish political and banking arena were carried out in vein :-(

It has turned out to be a completely hopeless MSM exercise. What the hell did 10,000 releases contain? How many tens of thousands more if you take in the other parties? I would think a complete waste of public spending! Back to Revision School everbody; and starting with "Who made the world?"

Highking

"Vote for Labour" Sure we have as much clue as you do and we'll tell you whatever you want to here

"Vote for Fine Gael" Fianna Fáil without tact or corruption

"Vote for Fianna Fáil" remember the good times?

"Vote Sinn Féin" Protestants? Who needs 'em

"Vote Independent" Will prop any demagogue up if it will get me re-elected.

"Vote Greens" Save the Planet, Wreck the Country.

Politicians have to be populists as they are going for election and need to appeal to the public at large. We could eliminate populism from politics by disenfranchising people and installing a dictatorial junta, but I don't think that would do any good, unless they were to round up all the gangsters.

Murph

Thats the answer -for all the other parties -put out 10,000 statements with party headed paper and the rest blank!

Everyone party will be ahead in the polls then!

The Dude

God this 'labour have no policy' spin is tiresome. But hey, repeat a lie enough and it becomes myth etc etc

I fail to see how they are any worse than the other parties out there. And for those who argue FG -please. throwing numbers on a page does not a policy make. The newera 'policy' is debated even by their own front bench.

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Zapp Brannigan:
With enemies you know where they stand but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me.​
Amen.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies