10% now admit No Religion

ruserious

One in 10 Irish people say they have no religion, the second largest group behind Roman Catholics
One in 10 Irish people say they have no religion, the second largest group behind Roman Catholics

The 2016 census shows that 1/10 Irish people now profess to be non Religious.
This is a 73% increase on 2011 rising from nearly 270,000 to 470,000.

This is a massive increase and is to be welcomed.

There are probably still large swathes of Irish people out there who do not believe in Religion but count themselves as Catholic for cultural reasons and even more Irish mammies scribing in Catholic for their atheist childer.

Of the 78% pretending/are Catholic, what % go to Mass every Sunday?

Vega1447

Even when I was a kid (and hadn't thought about it much) I found Mass attendance intolerably tedious. (I'm an atheist.)

Are there many believers who enjoy Mass attendance?

'orebel

The 2016 census shows that 1/10 Irish people now profess to be non Religious.
This is a 73% increase on 2011 rising from nearly 270,000 to 470,000.

This is a massive increase and is to be welcomed.

There are probably still large swathes of Irish people out there who do not believe in Religion but count themselves as Catholic for cultural reasons and even more Irish mammies scribing in Catholic for their atheist childer.

Of the 78% pretending/are Catholic, what % go to Mass every Sunday?

Pollsters also enquired about the frequency of attendance at religious services. Weekly attendance was found to be 34%. This includes 5% who worship more regularly than once a week. A further 15% attend monthly, with 27% saying “a few times a year” and 24% “never or hardly ever” attending.

Believers and non-believers alike were asked this question. That should be borne in mind when making comparisons with previous surveys, which tend to measure the percentage of Catholics who attend Mass. A rough calculation, based on this exit poll, would put weekly Mass attendance among Catholic voters at about 40%.
Who still goes to Mass in Ireland nowadays? | The Irish Catholic
Weekly Mass attendance levels in Dublin are currently put at 20-22 per cent (of the population), while being as low as 2-3 per cent in some working-class parishes.
Mass attendance in Dublin to drop by one-third by 2030

Outside of the Census, statistics on weekly Mass attendance have revealed an overall decline over the last 30 years, which is most marked in urban areas. A 2006 Poll conducted by the Irish state broadcaster RTE revealed that 48% of those surveyed attended mass at least weekly, as compared to 81% in 1990. A 2011 Survey found weekly attendance rates in the Dublin area to be 14%.
https://faithsurvey.co.uk/irish-census.html

An Irish Times/Ipsos MRBI poll from 2012 revealed that 62% of catholics don't believe in transubstantiation.

So a huge majority of Irish catholics are going straight to hell.

Nordie Northsider

Even when I was a kid (and hadn't thought about it much) I found Mass attendance intolerably tedious. (I'm an atheist.)

Are there many believers who enjoy Mass attendance?
I always hated Mass (and the Easter ones with a Passion), but I have to hand it to the Godly ones: they do bereavement very well. I've attended a few atheist funerals which were absolutely dire, but people seem to find some comfort in a funeral mass. I'm not convinced that atheists have got a handle yet on rituals to mark rites of passage.

Bill

Nordie Northsider

I always hated Mass (and the Easter ones with a Passion), but I have to hand it to the Godly ones: they do bereavement very well. I've attended a few atheist funerals which were absolutely dire, but people seem to find some comfort in a funeral mass. I'm not convinced that atheists have got a handle yet on rituals to mark rites of passage.
It was very noticeable at the inauguration of Michael D. The various faiths represented their all had go-to tracts from which they could cobble together some form of benediction. The atheist was somewhat stymied in comparison.

gerhard dengler

OP makes no reference to any other denomination, except Catholics.:roll:

The religion of no religion is at 10%.

'orebel

I've been to some excellent atheist funerals and some dire ones.

The main problems I noticed at the not so good ones were, lack of an mc/celebrant (for want of a better word) and being rushed out of the crematorium as the next funeral was booked directly after the one I was attending and the two crowds were mixing as one lot came out and the other went in.

'orebel

rock on you crazy diamonds
[video=youtube;gEPmA3USJdI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEPmA3USJdI[/video]
Mrs 'o walked up the aisle to that!

hollandia

Am I alone in finding the irony of most atheists being more "Christian" than yer actual Christians?

Bill

Mrs 'o walked up the aisle to that!
were you
[video=youtube;v2AC41dglnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM[/video]

'orebel

ruserious

I've been to some excellent atheist funerals and some dire ones.

The main problems I noticed at the not so good ones were, lack of an mc/celebrant (for want of a better word) and being rushed out of the crematorium as the next funeral was booked directly after the one I was attending and the two crowds were mixing as one lot came out and the other went in.
and getting stuck in a traffic jam on Haulbowline bridge. Tell me about it.

Henry94.

Atheist funerals are bound to find it hard to compete as they are not promoting the idea that the deceased is still going strong in the next life. They are probably still a bit strange as most of us got our idea of what a funeral should be from our childhood.

I like David Bowie's approach. No need for any messing around. Just get cremated privately and announce it later.

'orebel

were you
[video=youtube;v2AC41dglnM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2AC41dglnM[/video]
Sure was. She shook me all night long.

gerhard dengler

And they're five years out of date.
Eh, not according to what's contained in the link - you did read the contents?

Some 3.7 million people identified as Catholic in this census (78%), 132,220 fewer than in 2011 (when the percentage stood at 84%).

One in 10 Irish people say they have no religion (468,421 people), a 73.6% increase since 2011. This makes ‘no religion’ the second largest group in this category behind Roman Catholics.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies