• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

10% of maternal deaths in Ireland due to suicide

seabhcan

Dr Rhona Mahony, Master of the National Maternity Hospital addressed the Join Committee On Health and Children’s hearing on the Expert Group report on the need for abortion legislation yesterday .

This is what she told them:

And, in fact, if we look back at maternal deaths, this country recently produced a report into maternal deaths in Ireland between the years 2009 and 2011. There was six deaths arising directly from pregnancy complications but, double that number, 13 deaths, arising in women who had pre-existing medical disease. Five of these women had pre-existing cardiovascular disease, two of these women died of suicide, two of these women died of flu and a variety of other medical causes, including liver disease and lung disease.
So of 19 women who died during pregnancy in Ireland between 2009 and 2011, 2 died by suicide. That is 10%.

I thought the religious lobby told us this never happened.

ger12

Last edited:

ger12

Analyzer

You'd swear this government were serious about suicide......and they are when it suits them.

I think I remember somebody in the mental health secto say recently that they are continually cutting funding to mental health programs. More hypocrisy.

Last edited:

SilverSpurs

Very misleading OP.

"He said the incidence of suicide in pregnancy would be around one in half a million."

Master slams abortion suicide risk claims - irishhealth.com
Well I am not surprised, the abortion lobby have been at the urban mythology since day 1. In the UK it's women dying from the 'backstreet abortion' when in fact the number of fatalities from 'backstreet abortions' was in freefall in the 1960's following the development of modern antibiotics.

julieandrews

Ireland continues to be one of the safest countries in the World to be pregnant.
Tell that to a local girl I know who lost her perfectly healthy baby in a north western hospital recently because they let the labour go on for too long, baby got in to distress and was delivered dead - because they faffed for too long and didn't take action. There was no need for it to happen. Stuff like that happens all the time in Ireland but it's swept under the carpet.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
That's less than one person a year and there is no evidence that either of these two women would have sought an abortion. Indeed the fact that they could get an abortion in the UK suggests that that they would not.

This is further proof that there should be no legislation to use suicide as an excuse to kill the unborn.

ger12

Tell that to a local girl I know who lost her perfectly healthy baby in a north western hospital recently because they let the labour go on for too long, baby got in to distress and was delivered dead - because they faffed for too long and didn't take action. There was no need for it to happen. Stuff like that happens all the time in Ireland but it's swept under the carpet.
It happens all the time all over the World. In Ireland due process through the courts is an avenue that can (and should) be taken if malpractice resulted in death. Cold comfort for that poor woman and her husband but practices may change resulting from legal action.

Last edited:

skiii

One thing that is puzzling me is Patricia Casey's insistence that abortion is never a valid consideration for suicidal women and her subsequent declaration that women are at MOST risk having given birth. It seems a diabolic contract- get the baby born and hope for the best. Yet listening to her,there would seem to be no connection between the two events. I find it hard to believe that anyone who parrots the mantra ''research has shown",as she does, continually, enjoys much respect among her peers.

ger12

"He" is Dr Coulter Smith, a different person from that quoted in the OP. 1/500,000 is clearly very different from what Dr Mahony said.
No it's not. In three years there were two maternal deaths from suicide (tragic events which were covered by the media). In the three years preceding 2009 there were how many deaths due to suicide?

seabhcan

That's less than one person a year and there is no evidence that either of these two women would have sought an abortion. Indeed the fact that they could get an abortion in the UK suggests that that they would not.

This is further proof that there should be no legislation to use suicide as an excuse to kill the unborn.
So, your logic is that because no-one wants it, then if there was a law, everyone would want it?

seabhcan

No it's not. In three years there were two maternal deaths from suicide (tragic events which were covered by the media). In the three years preceding 2009 there were how many deaths due to suicide?
There were not 500,000 pregnancies in Ireland during these years. Thus, Dr Smiths number of 1 suicide per 500,000 seems to be wrong, given there were 2 suicides.

ger12

Ah sure if we're near the top, we might as well just feckin' stop. Suicides? Nah...let's just blindfold ourselves.
I'm not going to get into a prolife/prochoice debate. Suicide in pregnancy is very rare and in many cases unpredictable. Abortion may be the answer in some cases and not in other cases.

meriwether

I'm not going to get into a prolife/prochoice debate. Suicide in pregnancy is very rare and in many cases unpredictable. Abortion may be the answer in some cases and not in other cases.
*round of applause*.

Orbit v2

There were not 500,000 pregnancies in Ireland during these years. Thus, Dr Smiths number of 1 suicide per 500,000 seems to be wrong, given there were 2 suicides.
The 1 in 500,000 figure is assumed to be an under-estimate because coroners are known to report some suicides as open verdicts. I'd imagine that can easily happen in cases that don't reach the attention of the media.

crossman

You really can't draw any conclusion from a sample of two = it could be zero or four without changing the essential picture.

Schuhart

So of 19 women who died during pregnancy in Ireland between 2009 and 2011, 2 died by suicide. That is 10%.
It also illustrates why percentages are meaningless when dealing with small numbers. I expect, as your posts are usually sensible and apt, that you know better than this. I expect you also know that the fact that someone commits suicide while pregnant is not the same as someone committing suicide because they are pregnant. There's also some suggestion about 15% of pregnant woman having a history of mental illness, and that being the pool from which suicides originate.
I thought he was taking the figure of 1 suicide per 500,000 pregnancies from the UK - which highlights how the issue is largely independent of the question of availability of abortion.