• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

100 foot tall statue for top of Croagh Patrick?

Cruimh

Thoughts on this?

Surely it would need planning permission? And risks being an eyesore ?

Famed sculptor plans largest St. Patrick statue in the world

Schmalz hopes that as news of his idea begins to spread, North Americans might become interested in the project and be tempted to sponsor it. He plans to surround the bronze statue with clovers engraved with the sponsors names.

Although he is still in the planning stages, including how the structure will be put together, Schmalz plans to have the statue erected by St. Patrick’s Day 2015.
Not forgetting that Christianity isn't exactly favour of the month?

As I stood on Croagh Patrick I thought “Yes, this is it. Over there across the Atlantic is America.” And I thought to myself “Wouldn’t it be amazing to connect to two countries. To have the statue as a thank you from America for all of the culture and as an icon of Christianity standing tall and proud facing the United States.”

ruserious

He has unfinished business to do.

FF are rising again.

Still a few snakes to banish.

LamportsEdge

It would make a nice target. That mountain does not belong to the catholic church.

between the bridges

DUP are pushing for one of big Ian to be erected on Slieve Donard (facing south giving the bird signal)...

Eoin Coir

It could look across at McNamara's Achillhenge across Clew Bay,which is still standing i think. Large column in Octagen in Westport, there was a statue of Glendenning who built the town on top of it . It was pulled down and Patrick put on top of it. That should be enough vandalism.

LamportsEdge

Patrick wasn't a catholic - would you use the statue in Rio for target practice?
Thanks for the delicious thought.

stakerwallace

My bet is that this St Patrick will bear an uncanny resemblance to Enda.

LamportsEdge

If planning permission is required and a suspect there would need to be a process around that I can assure anyone hoping for a priestly erection on that mountain that there will be plenty of formal objections.

Have the Americans run out of Rockies to carve or something?

IbrahaimMohamad

How much would such a development cost?
Why build such a statue?
Who would be expect to pay for the Statue?
Who would make a profit on it ?
Who would benefit by building such a statue?

IbrahaimMohamad

If planning permission is required and a suspect there would need to be a process around that I can assure anyone hoping for a priestly erection on that mountain that there will be plenty of formal objections.

Have the Americans run out of Rockies to carve or something?
Is there planning permission for the Pope's cross in the Phoenix Park?

Rural

How much would such a development cost?
Why build such a statue?
Who would be expect to pay for the Statue?
Who would make a profit on it ?
Who would benefit by building such a statue?
Enda - In votes!!

EUrJokingMeRight

Another Irish vista under threat from morons.

H.R. Haldeman

I'd be fervently opposed to this. Croagh Patrick and Clew Bay are one of the most beautiful corners of Ireland and it doesn't need any messing with. Much less with a statue that'd be sold as nominally a national symbol, but which nonetheless is a religious one in very large part that would further appropriate the mountain for the religious. No thanks.